Undercoating spray

BIGGU

Has anyone here had their car or truck undercoated or sprayed to protect against rust?

I know this really isn't needed but id kinda like to do it since its a body on frame vehicle. I know Ziebart does it and I think Line-X also has a product but im looking to see real world reviews on who to use.

Ive also seen people use fluid film and they state they apply it every year which seems kinda like hassle to be honest.

I think the Ziebart and Line-X are life time coatings with life time warranty.

I've been looking at doing both my new truck and my wife's truck at Ziebart. They were recommended to me by our auto collision instructor who has had to work on cars they rust proofed. Neither of the trucks are new, but they are unicorns here in the midwest with no rust. I'm planning on hitting up Ziebart this friday for a quote on both trucks.

I've been looking at doing both my new truck and my wife's truck at Ziebart. They were recommended to me by our auto collision instructor who has had to work on cars they rust proofed. Neither of the trucks are new, but they are unicorns here in the midwest with no rust. I'm planning on hitting up Ziebart this friday for a quote on both trucks.

When I spoke with them on the phone they quoted me $299 which seams reasonable for a permanent thing

To be honest you're right but that doesn't mean it hurts resale value and expands the options for people that have no interest in owning a midwest car due to salt.

Just FYI, places like Carmax will only give you wholesale price for your car if you've had it rust-treated. At least what they told me.

I have never had it done, but I have owned several cars that have been Ziebarted/rust proofed. Application makes all the difference.

On my E30, that car was done right, meaning someone made an effort to remove some of the lines and other things that sit tight against the floor before spraying. It made a difference because moisture usually gets trapped in that space between the line and the floor and then you remove the line and can see a rust shadow of where it ran.

On my GTO (which was done in the 1960's) was basically put up on a rack and they just hosed the stuff on. It kept the rust mostly at bay, but it didn't stop areas that rot from the top down like the 1/4 panel trunk extensions and the front frame rail top where the vent pisses rain water. One nice thing is that it was easy to spot the stock line routing for things that had been changed over time like brake lines because there was a rust shadow against the floor.

On my jeep it was done on the underside only by the dealer before I bought the car (I bought new). For a jeep that spent most of it's life in snow states its surprisingly solid, and most of the rust came from top down - I don't even have the jeep frame rot issues most ohio jeeps have. Which kind of brings me to my next point: Is it necessary? for a body on frame car or truck, as long as the frame is solid you can drive that thing till the body rots off the hinges. With most new cars, unless you plan 10 years of ownership you aren't going to see much in the way of body rot/rust (well maybe in ohio you will), so any rust proofing is basically making sure that the car has 3rd, 4th, and 5th owners 20 years from now because people keep fixing the clean body with high miles.

I'm going to do ours just because I'm tired of driving vehicles with rust holes. She found a garage queen that never was driven in snow. Mine was a one owner low miles truck that spent it's entire life in Phoenix. Our cars sit outside all the time, and the rust hits them pretty bad. I don't see either of us trading our trucks off any time soon. I'll probably keep mine as long as I'm trailering cars to the track. This Avalanche is the nicest most expensive car I've bought, I plan on keeping it a while.

• 2 weeks later...
Take it to ziebart.

That was my plan. I figured if I do the follow ups it will eventually cover all the spots they had missed. I wanted to do Krown however im not driving that far just to get it done. by the time my time and gas and what not is factored in I might as well do Ziebart. Plus I can get them to tint the front windows while im at it.

For the past many years, I have been prepping my truck for the winter by spraying used oil mixed with STP and chain saw bar oil. I do this around late September to mid October and this seems to help or slow down any visible rust. I spray the frame and inter doors, cab corners and rockers. If you zieberted that is a great start but again I would continue to do some type of prep. When I got my truck many years ago, it had some visible surface rust of the frame, so I cleaned it up and applied Por15 to it. This lasted for 5 years or so. After that period, I went to the used oil method.