World Series

DKilbourne

I’ve still been watching on and off. The games have been great and game 5 had so many ups and downs it was crazy but I couldn’t stay up to watch the whole thing.

I’d rather see Houston win its first series than LA take it but I’m not really vested in either.

Anyone reading the reports about using different baseballs that are slicker and pitchers are having a hard time throwing

Yep. Multiple pitchers have literally been blind folded and were able to pick out the different balls by feel. Look at all the pitchers struggling with their sliders too. Definitely something to it.

Yep. Multiple pitchers have literally been blind folded and were able to pick out the different balls by feel. Look at all the pitchers struggling with their sliders too. Definitely something to it.

Normally all baseballs are rubbed with a special mud...not joking

http://baseballrubbingmud.com

MLB has been trying to get away from it, so that’s the change you’re likely seeing

https://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/will-mlb-say-goodbye-to-lena-blackburne-rubbing-mud-022817

Maybe this is why Kluber couldn't control any of his pitches?

Maybe this is why Kluber couldn't control any of his pitches?

That is a part of the speculation. I'd say baseball did it to up the home run and run totals. They will never admit to it, but a hanging slider is a much easier pitch to hammer than one that literally disappears from the hitting zone on its way by. It's dumb to alter how balls are treated for the post season. Pitching isn't sexy to most casual fans. It's fun to watch the teams slug it out, but I can watch a well pitched game too.

That is a part of the speculation. I'd say baseball did it to up the home run and run totals. They will never admit to it, but a hanging slider is a much easier pitch to hammer than one that literally disappears from the hitting zone on its way by. It's dumb to alter how balls are treated for the post season. Pitching isn't sexy to most casual fans. It's fun to watch the teams slug it out, but I can watch a well pitched game too.

If that's actually true then thanks MLB for taking a World Series away from Cleveland. Glad I haven't watched a game since we lost.

no mets, no care.

good for the 'Stroes knocking out the Yankees. Go Dodgers!

So here is something I have been wondering about - recently we have been seeing a lot of teams that haven't won a pennant in a long time or at all going to the world series. Last year it was between two teams that hadn't won in 108 and 68 years, this year it is never and 29 years. Is this one of the effects of "Money Ball" in that the same teams aren't making the world series over and over again anymore? Or is something else changing?

(in b4 someone says baseball is rigged).

Moneyball in part, they also adapted more of an NFL revenue sharing plan that penalizes (Luxury Tax) the big spenders (Yankees) to help out the smaller market teams.

That and you see bad teams purposely stay bad and acquire more prospects instead of teams trying to improve every year. At least, that's what I hope the Reds are doing

Money all and statistics have certainly changed the game but they’re not gonna take an average team and put them in the World Series. Everyone is doing it now so there’s not a major advantage to be had just an edge if you do it better than others.

With regard to 2 of the more recent long time WS drought erasers the Red Sox and Cubs it was done with more money and Theo Epstein.

I think that other teams without the big dollars and magic GM have used their farm system better and are riding the tide of younger talent. Even that only goes so far though as you saw the Astros trade for Verlander this year to help their final push.

If the Astros win tonight it will be great for baseball though as they’ll have still used a team with young talent and roughly $100mm less in salary to beat a giant which will break that cycle of continued rising salary budgets.

The luxury tax helps some, but over the past 5years the Yankees are the only team over the tax level that I’ve seen openly discussing that they want to get back below it.