HF “Predator” 7000w generator for $529?

zeitgeist57

Just got a Harbor Freight email with part of the ad featuring one of their PREDATOR generators for pretty cheap. Anyone have experience with this thing? Sounds like a lot of performance, considering “tailgate”-style camping generators are total shit for $100-150...

Also, is there any provision for these sorts of generators to be patched into a whole house electrical system? Instead of running 2-3 extension cords? Not familiar with this sort of a generator as emergency backup for 1-2 fridge/freezers, maybe a laptop computer and some lighting.

http://widgets.harborfreight.com/wswidgets/common/displayCoupon.do?week=5217&campaign=b1&page=ny_feature.html&cust=10054011616&keycode=1021&single=true&main=true

those china gens aren't bad....just loud as hell. It's been a while since I've read up on them so things may have changed but when I bought my 5k one about 12-13 years ago there was only 1 or 2 china companies that built them under a whole shit ton of different names but the hardware in all of them was the same. I've had good luck with mine. Like I say....it's 12 or 13 years old and still runs like it's brand new. I've taken good care of it though and do the maintenance religiously on it and make sure it runs a couple times a year. Ideally you want to run them monthly but who has time for that shit? I'll run it every 6 months and that's about it. For the first 10 years I had it I put a ton of hours on it running my camper. It's so damn loud though I had to put it at the end of a 100' extension cord and then build a sound break in front of it. I got tired of that eventually and bought a champion 2k just for the camper. The bigger one is just for outtages at the house now.

You can wire in a transfer switch for your main panel into the house to power whatever circuits you want. This is the way it's supposed to be done and probably the only legal way to do it. That being said......I've never done that. :D I back feed the box through the dryer breaker and send 110 to each leg. I throw the main to the house off so I don't back feed out to the pole. Like I say....not legal. Everytime I do it I swear by the next power outtage I'll have a xfer switch. I've even looked at them before but then start adding up costs and put it off. Those switches can get expensive.

Edited by xlr8tn

Tractor Supply has a 1 day (today) 20% off. They have a 5500 Watt Generac for 689.99

I have a provision to back feed my panel as well (220 outlet in my garage). This time of year just put your freezer items outside in a cooler. I have gas heat, so I just need enough juice to run the furnace electronics and blower. Once that is running then the well pump and the sump pump are the only real necessities after that.

They also have a Champion 7500 Watt Dual Fuel, electric start for 800.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=590&pictureid=8957