Damn internet providers

Mojoe

It's been talked about on here a hundred times. Well, here it is again. Spectrum takes over Time Warner, and apparently that timed out with our "promotional pricing" expiring. We had 30MB for $45 a month, it would get increased, and I would call and say what the hell, they would adjust back to $45. Now Spectrum say it's $80 for internet only on the same 30MB plan. I call and they tell me they will do 100MB for $65 and it is a fixed price, not a promotion. Well, no one ever said it was a promotion before, and not here they are after 5 years with them, telling me on was on promotional pricing. I don't need more speed. They tell me that's the only option. And it really is, because of where I live, and there is no other provider. $65 and no cable is nuts. If I bundle a package, it would be a promotional price and in a year the I'm getting hammered with pricing again. What's next, $200 a month for 2000MB? You may not want it, but you are going to take it and like it. Don't turn this rape into a murder.:mad:

Most people only have internet now and as a result most ISP's have raised prices to offset people that don't have cable anymore. We just switched to Spectrum at the $65 100mbps tier and are paying less than we were paying for only 50mbps on AT&T.

I know for a fact because we looked at it, that Spectrum has a $29 internet tier if you also bundle $29 cable and $29 home phone (old people lol).

Most people only have internet now and as a result most ISP's have raised prices to offset people that don't have cable anymore

How sad is that. What a great business model......lose customers because your product is too expensive, sooooo raise prices to chase away the rest of them!

Same situation here. 100mb for $65. Except I only ever see around 35up and 6 down.. :-/ Maybe I need to replace my modem?

Guy at work just went through this and was talking about it yesterday, I think he was getting around 30 down too.

Replaced modem and was up to 100 plugged in, but still slowish over wifi.

Replaced the router and is getting ~90 now over wifi.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-cable-modem/

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-router/

Joe, have you looked into the new ultra mega wifi routers that 'come with' or you can get mesh devices that work with them? It sounded like you were saying maybe you were still having wifi issues out in the barn.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-mesh-networking-kits/

If you have a larger family, or a large house—more than 2,000 square feet, or more than one floor—you should probably look at our mesh-networking guide instead. A good rule of thumb is if you’ve considered adding a wireless extender or extra access point in your house, get a mesh system instead.

I've no hands on working knowledge, if this will work for as far as you are trying to reach out from your house to your barn, but it might be worth looking into.

Same here... Spectrum is giving us a better price as long as we don't touch it because it's TimeWarner's pricing... problem is, it's still 150 bucks a month but we have movie channels, etc.... If we went internet only, we still have to pay for streaming services which bumps the price up higher than the 150 we're currently paying.

$75/mo here with frontier internet only 150/150. I've actually tested it out to 16x/17x.

Seems high, but we watch all of our entertainment through the Fire Box, netflix, etc but when I play video games, I do NOT want lag.

Guy at work just went through this and was talking about it yesterday, I think he was getting around 30 down too.

Replaced modem and was up to 100 plugged in, but still slowish over wifi.

Replaced the router and is getting ~90 now over wifi.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-cable-modem/

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-router/

Joe, have you looked into the new ultra mega wifi routers that 'come with' or you can get mesh devices that work with them? It sounded like you were saying maybe you were still having wifi issues out in the barn.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-mesh-networking-kits/

I've no hands on working knowledge, if this will work for as far as you are trying to reach out from your house to your barn, but it might be worth looking into.

Thanks for the tips. I just replaced the router so it should be fine. I read my modem should be able to handle 90ish mb but it must not. I'll order a new one and go from there.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tips. I just replaced the router so it should be fine. I read my modem should be able to handle 90ish mb but it must not. I'll order a new one and go from there.

NP. I don't know what exact parts he got. I and other people I know have bought quite a few things from recommendations on Wire Cutter and have never been disappointed. I like that they take the time to explain the background so I an have some confidence that what I'm buying will work for my situation.

Do you have any devices you can plug into your modem by Ethernet to troubleshoot the situation, make sure you are getting 100 out of the modem into the router?

Similar here - 119 a month for 18 up/down. Price of living in the country. I will say service is spotless and, when I call, a dude name Joel answers - every time.

I can get more but at $10 per Mbps it works for what we need. For some reason my wife thinks we’re going to trench 500’ to the road when the major supplier makes it this way.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If its a DOCSIS 3.0 modem you should have no trouble getting 90mb and well beyond. Of course thats assuming everything on the lines inside and outside are good.

I pay the same thing. Since I've lived in my current house it has been timewarner, insight, timewarner again, and now spectrum. I tried WOW and it was slower than 1990's internet. I made a bitch thread about it a wile ago. Uverse is available in my area but not my street. If I lived a few houses down I could get it. So honestly all I have is spectrum or using a MiFi.

Could be a lot worse...

In the same boat.

Don't you just love the cable companies love for its loyal customers? "Hey you're new! Here's some cheap cable"...."Oh, you been a customer for 12yrs? Welp, bend over and shut your whore mouth Randy."

Do you have any devices you can plug into your modem by Ethernet to troubleshoot the situation, make sure you are getting 100 out of the modem into the router?

My desktop via Ethernet sees the same speed. So that's why my assumptions now are that's its a modem issue. Its only a couple years old. I read something about some modems using 4 "channels" or something instead of 2 which allows for higher speeds?