Aviation

Cordell

Critical care nursing (not your stereotypical floor nursing). You're essentially a mechanic for humans. But I think I might have suggested this to you before. Weren't you scared of blood or something?

Anyways, if you think the automotive management world is frustrating, the healthcare world will infuriate you.

Regardless, it's a very challenging yet rewarding job.

Hah, I've looked into both of these at one time or another. Piloting is very expensive, either Military or kids born into aviation usually become pilots. I tried it and ran out of money shortly after the Private, unless you have the means to buy your own Cessna 150/172.

The RR you really have to work your way up to the Locomotive, even then you start over as a Conducter, then Engineer...and are at the bottom of the totem, getting the worst lines, shift, etc. its all about tenure. But once you get your years in you can make your schedule.

Your best bet would be Healthcare(nursing) or Technical(Cyber Security or something not many are interested in anymore like Circuits/PLC).

My brother is a commercial pilot. Just left republic for a new job at Atlas where he'll be flying cargo 747's across the globe and he's only 29.

If you want to seriously get started in aviation, you needed to start about 15 years ago. He has his pilot license before his drivers license. He spent days and days on flight sim with live ATC plugin, simulating flights, learning to talk to ATC, etc. Then he got his bachelors in aviation, started doing private lessons for people, got into commercial...

But if you just want to fly planes for the fun of it, its pretty easy to start, just takes a lot of money.

My brother is a commercial pilot. Just left republic for a new job at Atlas where he'll be flying cargo 747's across the globe and he's only 29.

If you want to seriously get started in aviation, you needed to start about 15 years ago. He has his pilot license before his drivers license. He spent days and days on flight sim with live ATC plugin, simulating flights, learning to talk to ATC, etc. Then he got his bachelors in aviation, started doing private lessons for people, got into commercial...

But if you just want to fly planes for the fun of it, its pretty easy to start, just takes a lot of money.

If you want to go the ATP route and haul people around this is true, but with just a commercial ticket you have millions of other possibilities out there. You just have to really want it. A single engine land comcerial ticket can be had for somewhat cheap but it’ll be hard work and has to be your passion for it to work

My brother is working as an instructor right now flying helicopters in Arizona just trying to get flight hours in. I think he needs 1000 hours to get his full commercial license. He showed me his schooling costs and it was around $300,000 through some school in Utah. GI bill paid for it but still... not sure how anyone could afford that without it.

If I were you, I would look into controls tech/engineering. There is a local tech school that has both high school and adult education with a good robotics/controls dept. 5-6 of their high schoolers just got hired to work part time for $18/hr, with a full time job offer upon graduation and a bump to $25/hr starting out. That is pretty damn good for just a two year program with minimal costs.

Yeah- I have a buddy who flies for American Airlines and he's 29, just started flying 2 years ago after 4-5 years in college (OSU) and then like 10,000 training hours or some shit. I don't know how many for sure, but I'm confident it took him 7+ years when it was all said and done since he went the non-military route.

So he either has 200k+ in student loans or #thanksdad for covering the bill. Thats not realistic for most.

Military is 200% the way to go here- BUT, military (navy mostly) has stricter guidelines on qualifications to fly. Height/Weight/eyesite...ect.

So he either has 200k+ in student loans or #thanksdad for covering the bill. Thats not realistic for most.

Military is 200% the way to go here- BUT, military (navy mostly) has stricter guidelines on qualifications to fly. Height/Weight/eyesite...ect.

Considering where we grew up, guarantee his parents didn't pay a penny. I believe his undergrad was covered by being in OSU's marching band, but I'd be willing to bet he has a significant amount of student loans.

And yes I agree, not realistic.

I thought Eman (Stoopid Hipster) went to Oklahoma or something to get schooled on being an ATC (Air Traffic Controller)? That's a high-stress fast-thinking job that starts around $100k/year...

Yeah pretty sure that didn't work out.

I dunno...$300K sounds high. I have friends who are physicians that didn't incur that much debt going to med school. Maybe if he was factoring in the cost of flying to rack up hours outside of his training it would make more sense, but then again he's probably out of pocket for those (or his instructing people is paying for it).

BTW, since I didn't see it earlier I should point out - being an A&P and being a pilot are two wildly different things. I talk a lot on this forum about these two brothers I grew up with because one races an LS powered fox and the other races a '67 firebird and used to have a very fast subaru, but both of them are senior A&P's at Jet Blue. Only one has his private license to fly and he only started last year, but he's been an A&P since graduating high school. The other was a Subaru tech for years before going back to school to be an A&P. He was able to get a job because his brother was already at Jet Blue (networking is important) and put in a good word for him. Now I think they have been there at least 8 years and one is training the incoming mechanics, and the other has jumped out of spinning wrenches and is on the executive side in the maint department. The one with the license has a partnership in a plane, and occasionally "rents" out the plane and himself to Jet Blue to fly parts to airports in high priority situations.

The big advantage to being an A&P over a tech in the automotive industry is that the airlines are big corporations and that comes with a lot more potential for advancement and job security than working with mom and pop dealerships. However, you do have to put in your time and actually be good at it, and those jobs are hard to get and usually require you to work at a place like netjets or a smaller operator for years before being eligible for entry level. Also, small airports are filled with A&Ps who are scratching out a living servicing Pipers and Cessnas in rented hangars so it is competitive.

Cordell, have you considered trying to get a Job with GM or Honda? or one of their suppliers? Working for the OEM might give you the change of pace you want without keeping you feeling like you are stuck at the bottom. It feels like your complaint is that you have hit the glass ceiling in your industry and can't figure out how to break through - maybe start to get creative with your job searches and start reaching for other things. It's a thought.

If I were you, I would look into controls tech/engineering. There is a local tech school that has both high school and adult education with a good robotics/controls dept. 5-6 of their high schoolers just got hired to work part time for $18/hr, with a full time job offer upon graduation and a bump to $25/hr starting out. That is pretty damn good for just a two year program with minimal costs.

This is exactly what I did. Paid my 2 year degree off in 6 months of working. Only downside is most manufactoring starts you on 2nd or 3rd shift.

sometimes when the plane landing is a bit rough, as I exit the plane and pass the pilot standing at the door, i'll say "wow, that landing was a bit rough, you must have taken it off autopilot", and then I hand him a piece of trash the stewardess missed. that is all.

I think you should become a Hot Air Balloon Operator.

The average balloon costs for a small 2 person is about $22,000. For balloons to carry pilot plus 4 passages the average cost is 35,000 to over $45,000. This price includes the envelope, gondola, fuel tanks, and instruments, but does not include any ground support equipment or chase vehicle.

Most pilots can count assume they will make between $30,000 to $100,000 per year. Learn more about the ballooning industry by going to a balloon festival or paying for a flight to see if you enjoy the peaceful floating adventure of a hot air balloon ride.

http://i64.tinypic.com/2iaph6p.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/2wejrlu.jpg

The average balloon costs for a small 2 person is about $22,000.

Whoa whoa whoa, that doesn't include the cost of helmets either! Look at those peopple, all helmeted up. That's comin straight out of your pocket if you don't roll it into the balloon loan!

get on groupon and get one of the deals for flight lessons, I've done it twice now and it helps get my "fix" for flying... it actually more feeds it and makes me want more, but it's a good way to see if it's something you even want to do.