Renewable Energy

Sully

My FIL had a pellet stove, he ripped it out and put in a gas heater.

This is not like a pellet stove. I had never seen one of these until I bought this house. It is one of my new favorite things. It has 2 fans run off a computerized thermostat in the house. One fan stokes the fire and the other blows the heat into the house. It is seamless in operation.

so your entire house has no heat all day and you gotta come home and start a fire to warm the 20ft around it every single evening? Or let me guess it's some magical paul white fireplace that's able to restart the sun or something.

I'd rather pay $600

Lol Brian ya spudnick. Just like Casey said, I load my woodfurnace that’s in my garage up every 6-8hrs with wood. I’ll burn almost continually from when it starts getting cold in late fall to spring time without the electric furnace not kicking on. I have my wood furnace plumbed into the ductwork so the whole house gets heated, not 20ft around it like it’s some fireplace in a cabin lol.

This is not like a pellet stove. I had never seen one of these until I bought this house. It is one of my new favorite things. It has 2 fans run off a computerized thermostat in the house. One fan stokes the fire and the other blows the heat into the house. It is seamless in operation.

I wasn’t doubting that, I was just saying pellet stoves aren’t as good as people were lead to believe.

+respect that you burn as well. I enjoy cutting wood and using it to keep house warm. Just run a nice humidifier to offset the dry heat and you’re set. I installed mine when I moved in 7yrs ago. Sounds similar to yours. I have an electric t stat running off it that controls house heat blower and secondary fire stoke blower.

My wood furnace is a WoodChuck 2900

Highly suggest installing a heat pump for all temps above 35 degrees. We have a fuel oil and had to fill it 3 time annually (5 - 600 each time) and now we are closer to 1 (Little more). Windows and doors are also a must and made a major difference in my 1800 sq ft brick ranch.

Good luck on your quest.

We have electric heat and will get a decent size bill once or twice a year. During the cold months we run the cast iron fireplace insert as much as possible. Close the door, turn the fan on and let it do its thing. Its not the most efficient as it only really heats the back of the first floor (family room, dining room, kitchen) but wood is the cheapest fuel to use.

That outdoor wood burning furnace is pretty cool though. I'd like something like that but I know the woman would say "its ugly".

We purchased windows last fall but this is our first winter in the house so we don't have old heating bills to compare them to. I think we could probably add some additional insulation to help too.