Renewable Energy

Sully

After a $600 electric bill this month (every winter I get at least 2 of these size bills), I'm seriously considering looking for either solar or wind generated electric for my house. I'm also looking at replacing all windows and doors, as those may be the biggest culprit for my outrageous bills.

I have a 2,500-ish sq ft ranch brick house (not counting the full basement). I believe which ever route I go, doors/windows or solar/wind power, I'm looking at about $20,000. I'm just trying to decide which would be the better bang for the buck. Spending this much money is extremely stressful.

Has anyone looked into this and/or purchased a renewable energy system? If so, what did you choose and why? If you haven't, but was in the market, what would you be looking into?

Natural gas is so cheap it doesn't matter. I pay like $35 to 80 month all year even when I had aluminum frame windows and back door. Now with new windows I haven't seen a bill over 70. Kept the house at 72. Nest has shown over 12 hours of furnace use per day.

$600 is insane, my house is gas and our gas bill gets up to maybe $150. Something seems seriously wrong if you're burning through that much energy. Do you run A/C in the summer? Similar cost? There has to be some sort of energy assessment that can be done to help figure out the most effective options.

You could nearly install a geothermal system for 20k. That aside, I would also advise going natural gas if you have service available nearby. Furnace conversions are somewhat cheap, honestly.

You do have a forced air furnace correct? You're not referring to baseboard electric heat throughout? Electric heating efficiency lags so far behind natural gas orr propane that I probably wouldn't invest that much in a PV or turbine system + battery storage (at least not for replacing heating capacity).

Windows first.

You wouldn't put a turbo charger on a car with a leaky radiator.

This. You can also either rent or buy a thermal camera for a decent price that'll help give you insight to where your large temperature losses are.

I know someone that put in a 9.9kw solar system ($30k), and got a new high-efficiency variable something pump geothermal system ($6k upgrade). In a shitty 1960s house they always generate more than they use, but the electric company doesn't pay jackshit for power sent back to the grid.

Also, do you have a heat pump?

If no, adding one would be hugely beneficial, even if you are all forced air electric heat currently. Condensing unit outside does not indicate heat pump, FYI, as it could be an A/C only unit. Need to confirm tyoe and configuration. If you have no heat pump you are left with no choice but electric "emergency heat" coils as your primary heat source.

Ever consider an infrared scan of your home? With cameras as cheap as they are now, that’s a great way to see where your heat loss is. I used to do them all the time but with the cost of cameras being so low, it isn’t profitable anymore. If you need any advice though, feel free to let me know.

http://www.airstove.com/

The house I bought has one of these units installed. I cut wood for free and, if I am diligent, the furnace never comes on. It has a thermostat and pumps the hot air into your existing furnace ducting. Even when it was -10 my entire 5000 square foot house was at 68. A single load of wood will last 8-10 hours. It is really an amazing piece of equipment. The unit costs about 2500.

(Cannot believe I am agreeing with Paul here....)

Sell that house and buy a house with a gas furnace. Electric heat is a deal breaker. I damn sure wouldn’t throw another 20k at the problem. Especially if you hate paying $600 only a couple of months of the year, you’ll hate the monthly bill for the solar panels. In the winter in Canal you are not gonna generate enough power to offset a $600 electric bill. Call a Realtor.

Yes, it's an all electric house. The heat pump and furnace were near the highest end of the spectrum of energy efficient when they were installed in 2010. The windows in my house were installed in 2000 by the po's and appears to be about as basic of a vinyl window as you could get.

Thanks for all the feedback. After further consideration, I pulled the trigger and decided to do new windows and will have to do it in phases as it's too much money to install 21 high quality windows all at the same time. I'm having the main living areas done first. I feel pretty confident my reduced electric bill will make up for this cost fairly quickly.

Same issue with consolidated electric again as I did last year this time. I remember making a post about it and disabling the emergency coils. $691 fucking bill this month. This year they refuse to check my meter again. Coils are still disabled. Heat pump still only cycles once or twice an hour. Solar and a pellet stove are happening this summer.

Solar panels will take a few years to hit payoff and I hear it is a hassle to sell the extra energy back to the power company. Geothermal is a good route to go to save on heating and cooling costs, but also takes a couple years to hit payoff. Making sure everything is well insulated would be a good start, the windows you are waiting to replace you could get the window kits where they get covered in plastic (might be unsightly, but will help with energy costs).

Same issue with consolidated electric again as I did last year this time. I remember making a post about it and disabling the emergency coils. $691 fucking bill this month. This year they refuse to check my meter again. Coils are still disabled. Heat pump still only cycles once or twice an hour. Solar and a pellet stove are happening this summer.

Check out the woodburner I linked before going pellet stove. My FIL uses 2 pellet stoves in his house and was amazed being at my house as the heat is even in every room.

I cut and burn wood. $0 heating bill during winter ;)

so your entire house has no heat all day and you gotta come home and start a fire to warm the 20ft around it every single evening? Or let me guess it's some magical paul white fireplace that's able to restart the sun or something.

I'd rather pay $600

so your entire house has no heat all day and you gotta come home and start a fire to warm the 20ft around it every single evening? Or let me guess it's some magical paul white fireplace that's able to restart the sun or something.

I'd rather pay $600

Not sure about Paul but I load the wood burner every 6-8 hours. It feeds into my HVAC system. I have a nice even heat throughout the house.

Check out the woodburner I linked before going pellet stove. My FIL uses 2 pellet stoves in his house and was amazed being at my house as the heat is even in every room.

My FIL had a pellet stove, he ripped it out and put in a gas heater.