GMT800 - How low should I go?

zeitgeist57

Truck: 2001 Silverado 2WD V6 RC/LB - 76k miles, basic work tee-ruk

Job: To drop it, but do it on the cheap for a cheap truck

Work level: Suburban yardwaste hauler. Highway DD. Nothing heavy, probably no towing.

This is a basic truck that I got for super cheap. But, I can't leave well enough alone with any of my trucks. Putting 20s and beefy tires on it this month.

F/R Drop Options:

1"/2" - Front coil spring, rear shackle - Cheapest at $155, but rear geometry off and probably not very noticable.

2"/4" - Front spring, rear shackle and hanger - $242 - Most drop I can go before i have to start cutting or modifying front spindles.

3"/5" or 4"/6" - $500-650 - New front spindle, rear axle-flip, C-notch to frame required. Biggest drop, which is not what I'm looking for as I do still want usability.

I'm planning on 2/4 drop as that's what most of the INTARNUT recommends, but still curious what CR thinks.

...and here I have suspension to return Elliot II (TTPKACIV) back to stock height. :lol:

For your situation, I think you already know the answer. You'll be happiest for the budget and work involved at the 2"/4" option. No way you want to do major mods to scrape that bish along your driveway.

I would do a 2/3 drop. Use Belltech front spindles and a Belltech shackle kit or Belltech drop springs in the rear.

^ This.

2/3 is what I would do. Most common drops on these trucks seems to be a 2/4 or a 4/6, and 99% of the time they look like they sit a hair lower in the back which drives me absolutely crazy. If anything, I would rather have the rear sit a tiny bit higher than the front.

Truck: 2001 Silverado 2WD V6 RC/LB - 76k miles, basic work tee-ruk

Job: To drop it, but do it on the cheap for a cheap truck

Work level: Suburban yardwaste hauler. Highway DD. Nothing heavy, probably no towing.

This is a basic truck that I got for super cheap. But, I can't leave well enough alone with any of my trucks. Putting 20s and beefy tires on it this month.

F/R Drop Options:

1"/2" - Front coil spring, rear shackle - Cheapest at $155, but rear geometry off and probably not very noticable.

2"/4" - Front spring, rear shackle and hanger - $242 - Most drop I can go before i have to start cutting or modifying front spindles.

3"/5" or 4"/6" - $500-650 - New front spindle, rear axle-flip, C-notch to frame required. Biggest drop, which is not what I'm looking for as I do still want usability.

I'm planning on 2/4 drop as that's what most of the INTARNUT recommends, but still curious what CR thinks.

Do this and get air bags for the rear so it doesnt sag if you tow

I doubt you want to go through the hassle of a axle flip kit. However low you can go with shackles and hangers is what I'd do. Obviously spindles in the front are ideal, but there should be enough alignment adjustment to do springs in the front without issue (except maybe a harder ride).

That's more than a 3/5 drop thpugh. Regardless I would love to score a set for my 02 Yukon xl and drop it 3-4inches

Yeah. That truck is bagged, or something like a 5/7 if it's static. Looks good though.

I've had my '03 SCSB since September I believe with the intentions of lowering it since day 1, but hasn't happened yet. :fa:

Being more realistic here, I think the 2/4 is where I'd go. When I got my truck I went down this path but for the first time in my life just left the thing along being that the whole reason I bought it was to tow a trailer and knowing that I'd have to add helper bags and work out towing geometry if I went to a the height I was looking to do. I was personally going to go 3/5 with mine. I left it alone and hate how it sits to this day.