CR 4x4 crew, To M/T or not to M/T?

cstmg8

Trying to decide on tires for the 4runner. Size will likely be 285/75/16 (33"), as the power doesn't allow for any larger. It's still a nice upgrade over the 265/70/16's currently on it.

Question is, all terrain or mud? I'll still be DDing it for the foreseeable future, but I only put 6-8 miles on it round trip. I plan some designated trips to the 4x4 parks, so I want it to be capable. I'm not as interested in mud bogging as just being able to tackle any rough terrain. Does anyone have any recommendations on an all terrain that was very capable off road, or do I go full m/T? Derek gave me some good prices on some m/t's.

Options are:

1. Go full M/T and drive it everyday.

2. Just upgrade to a larger a/t and hope they serve me well on the trails.

3. Get a cheap set of steelies for new M/T's, and run my current a/T's until it's time for new tires and upgrade to larger a/t's for everyday driving.

(Last option doesn't excite me strictly from a looks aspect, as I'm ready for larger tires now, lol)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

How important is a quiet smooth ride? Do you value that over tackling trails? I just recently took MT tires off my duramax to run on my spare rims during hunting season and put a/t tires on for summer when I put a ton of miles towing the camper. The MT's never really bothered me but I'm tired of killing my MT's through the summer when I never need them. I run Toyo tires for both sets. I've had great luck with them wearing well and getting plenty of life out of them. I almost went with the Cooper discoverer atp because I have 2 buddies that run those and they're a pretty solid AT tire. I would say don't run MT's unless you really think you'll need them. Look at the toyo opentl country at2 in a 295. That size and up is there "extreme" AT and kinda fits both bills....or the RT for a little more aggressive without being a full MT.

Youll want ATs. The odds are good that when you get offroad it will be mud if you are anywhere around central-Ohio south. But, DD'ing a MT around here isnt ideal. Most of them are downright dangerous in snow/ice as well. I've been thankful this year I still have ATs driving the little one to daycare ect. Not worth the risk. Even so most guys swear MTs are somehow better when it gets slick out. Maybe they are, at least until salt is down and it isnt just snow anymore.

What you should do is get a set of Duratracs. They are probably one of the most aggressive ATs that is also incredible in snow, but has big enough voids to handle mud. I think you can get them in a 'C' load rating to save some weight. Weight is what really ruins your daily driving experience, as the larger diameter alone doesnt really screw up gearing by much.

Deez

http://www.sonsofthefather.com/fullthrottle/4runner/build/duratracs.jpg

Lol, I was waiting for you to comment, almost put your name in the title... What are you running these days? The duratracs?

Those are A/T's ?!!

I'll check them out paging Derek, lol.

I have General Grabber AT2s. I got them because they were one of the few available in 295. I dont recommend them. Balance issues. In all reality if we were to use clamp on weights they would likely be ok. These softly sprung, generally light-weight trucks get finicky with heavy tires. That is why if you can get a C-rated tire it should help a lot.

As far as my tires go, I only had a problem with mud once. To be fair, two trucks with MTs after me didnt make it up the hill either. It more comes down to if the truck has any offroad traction systems to help get up or out of things. (ATRAC, locker, ect) I try to avoid mud at all costs if I can anyway. I last went to Rush, KY back in September and I am still pulling mud out of places to this day. Yuck.

I ran BFG A/T's on my Jeep for almost 20 years. I loved them, they way they looked, they way they worked off road, the only things I hated were the road noise and the price. About 2 years ago Derek hooked me up with Mastercraft Courser AXTs. They were 1/2 the price of the BFGs if not more, were twice as grippy, looked better, and the road noise was leaps and bounds better. I was skeptical about them having any good off road qualities because looking at them they didn't look aggressive. So far I've run it through some lightly muddy trails and some gravel roads in 2wd without a single issue. They don't have big wide gaps like a mud tire but they have jagged tread pattern that makes it almost claw like without inviting a lot of air and noise in there.

it may be slightly too tame for what you are looking for, but to be honest I was underwhelmed when I saw them and they really surprised me in a big way.

1c038fe0-9526-49d9-aa40-a531be0e085e_1.94975f3c0c3493715df0f96d0125da75.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

208681dd-3b89-4b6f-b52f-b38d06050165_1.661bb49bb801cee6c07a1a1ad9472242.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

I ran BFG A/T's on my Jeep for almost 20 years. I loved them, they way they looked, they way they worked off road, the only things I hated were the road noise and the price. About 2 years ago Derek hooked me up with Mastercraft Courser AXTs. They were 1/2 the price of the BFGs if not more, were twice as grippy, looked better, and the road noise was leaps and bounds better. I was skeptical about them having any good off road qualities because looking at them they didn't look aggressive. So far I've run it through some lightly muddy trails and some gravel roads in 2wd without a single issue. They don't have big wide gaps like a mud tire but they have jagged tread pattern that makes it almost claw like without inviting a lot of air and noise in there.

it may be slightly too tame for what you are looking for, but to be honest I was underwhelmed when I saw them and they really surprised me in a big way.

1c038fe0-9526-49d9-aa40-a531be0e085e_1.94975f3c0c3493715df0f96d0125da75.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

208681dd-3b89-4b6f-b52f-b38d06050165_1.661bb49bb801cee6c07a1a1ad9472242.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

Derek gave me a good price on MasterCraft M/T's. I hadn't asked about the A/T.

As said above, I am really happy my Duratrac's on my daily. They are awesome in the snow and fine in any weather. First set was 33's, now on 35's.

Once these are done I might try Toyo R/T's (in 35's) just to try something different. Might have to sipe them depending on how they do in the first snow.

As said above, I am really happy my Duratrac's on my daily. They are awesome in the snow and fine in any weather. First set was 33's, now on 35's.

Once these are done I might try Toyo R/T's (in 35's) just to try something different. Might have to sipe them depending on how they do in the first snow.

I've never had a single issue with toyo MT's in snow. I have a 2500 though so the weight of the truck helps. I'm on my 2nd set of MT's. I got 50k+ out of the first set which is awesome for a mud tire on a 2500. I went with their AT for my summer tire but if I ever decide to just run an AT type tire year round I'd definitely be looking at the RT's.

Actually.....that's not true. If I could only run 1 tire year round it's going to be an MT. I've been in some sketchy situations with AT tires or bald tires while hunting. Not risking it anymore. Several years ago me and my son were hunting and I pulled off the side of the road. Truck slid down into this little ditch and we damn near never got out of it. Had to collect up a bunch of logs to get under the tires so I could climb out. We were in BFE down in a bottom area with no cell service.

I've never had a single issue with toyo MT's in snow. I have a 2500 though so the weight of the truck helps. I'm on my 2nd set of MT's. I got 50k+ out of the first set which is awesome for a mud tire on a 2500. I went with their AT for my summer tire but if I ever decide to just run an AT type tire year round I'd definitely be looking at the RT's.

Actually.....that's not true. If I could only run 1 tire year round it's going to be an MT. I've been in some sketchy situations with AT tires or bald tires while hunting. Not risking it anymore. Several years ago me and my son were hunting and I pulled off the side of the road. Truck slid down into this little ditch and we damn near never got out of it. Had to collect up a bunch of logs to get under the tires so I could climb out. We were in BFE down in a bottom area with no cell service.

I think its the truck. My buddy bought a 250 with Trail Grapplers on it.. I was like "dude your gonna die on those things" but he insists no trouble whatsoever. Meanwhile people with FJs, ect I know have been in some terrifying commute situations sitting on KM2s. I think that extra 2500 lbs. makes a huge difference.

If you Know anyone looking for 6x5.5 and 33x12.50's these look like a good deal. 15's won't clear my calipers, and that's too much meat for my gearing.

https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/wto/d/mastercraft-courser-mt-on/6517628087.html

I think these would look really good, but the price isn't quite low enough to warrant not buying new.

cddb99e48e34ea2335e2636050fe45b6.jpg

hi all

the duratracs being mentioned fit into a category called commercial traction that rides inbetween all terrain and mud terrain tires. The goal with this section of the market is off roaders and guys that are on job sites alot that need ride comfort and mileage from the tires due to 50+% more of the their time being on the road. they are a very good option and there's some nice tires other than the duratracs.

mastercraft cxt

http://mastercrafttires.com/getmedia/bc2778f1-305c-44c6-8259-00746680a127/CourserCXT.aspx?width=434&height=583&ext=.png

cooper stmaxx

http://us.coopertire.com/getmedia/82f5d999-84c7-4f3a-bdee-17242bebcd1b/DiscovererSTMaxx_full.png.aspx?width=420&height=546&ext=.png

cooper stmaxx house brand

cordovan ctx

21538.jpg

you got my number...

hi all

the duratracs being mentioned fit into a category called commercial traction that rides inbetween all terrain and mud terrain tires. The goal with this section of the market is off roaders and guys that are on job sites alot that need ride comfort and mileage from the tires due to 50+% more of the their time being on the road. they are a very good option and there's some nice tires other than the duratracs.

mastercraft cxt

http://mastercrafttires.com/getmedia/bc2778f1-305c-44c6-8259-00746680a127/CourserCXT.aspx?width=434&height=583&ext=.png

cooper stmaxx

http://us.coopertire.com/getmedia/82f5d999-84c7-4f3a-bdee-17242bebcd1b/DiscovererSTMaxx_full.png.aspx?width=420&height=546&ext=.png

cooper stmaxx house brand

cordovan ctx

21538.jpg

you got my number...

Those look good! So how does the price of these compare to the MT's we priced?

How do you feel about the cordovans, I'm guessing they are the cheapest for the "budget truck".

I know most people absolutely L-O-V-E the STMaxx tires. Very capable. Those house brand ones are probably also great. The STMaxx also come in 'pizza cutters' which a lot of people run. 255/85/16.

Problem with them is the STMaxx are all absolutely heavy as hell. Only real reason they never appeal to me.

edit: good comparison. Those CXTs might fit the bill! http://roadtraveler.net/mastercraft-courser-cxt/

I know most people absolutely L-O-V-E the STMaxx tires. Very capable. Those house brand ones are probably also great. The STMaxx also come in 'pizza cutters' which a lot of people run. 255/85/16.

Problem with them is the STMaxx are all absolutely heavy as hell. Only real reason they never appeal to me.

edit: good comparison. Those CXTs might fit the bill! http://roadtraveler.net/mastercraft-courser-cxt/

Looks like they may be worth a shot. I have kind of liked the 255's, just couldn't decide between those and the 285's. I think that as long as the price isn't a crazy difference, I may try them. Have to be lighter.

From my time playing in mud in Ohio I learned to get road tires for the road and real mud tires for the mud. Some people will tell you "their" tires are great in the mud, but its more likely they haven't tried a set of true swamper type tires. I finally got around to getting a set of swamper boggers and found that they are the drag slick of the muddy trails. They hook up better than anything and your toyota's engine won't have the power to spin them much.

I got a great price on some 38x10.50's at Tyres International, not sure if they are still on the west side or not.

From my time playing in mud in Ohio I learned to get road tires for the road and real mud tires for the mud. Some people will tell you "their" tires are great in the mud, but its more likely they haven't tried a set of true swamper type tires. I finally got around to getting a set of swamper boggers and found that they are the drag slick of the muddy trails. They hook up better than anything and your toyota's engine won't have the power to spin them much.

I got a great price on some 38x10.50's at Tyres International, not sure if they are still on the west side or not.

they closed down, they're now only in Stow, oh

MasterCraft Courser cxt it is. Derek came through with a good price.

Now the decision is 285/75/16 or 255/85/16, only 1 lb difference in weight. Price difference is negligible.

so 33 x 11.22

or

33 x 10.04

how much mudding do you think you are going to do? and how important is fuel economy?

I personally would go with the wider tire just because I like the look of wide tires. Might help with the kind of mud we get here but won't be great for your mileage.