Lincoln Continental - Suicide doors?

zeitgeist57

I get it if they also have the door handles right up next to each other or something, so you KNOW what they are..... but if it looks like the concept, or modern pics we have seen....that the door looks like any other sedan door, WTF is the point?

I have suicide doors on the FJ. I can assure you you dont want them unless you have to....and its totally pointless to have them on something that doesnt need them.

Plus how are they going to work...make them work like mine, or the F150? Can only use them with the front doors open? Not on a premium luxury sedan.

mmzbosaxpnpf0zczgzyj.jpg

That picture is the existing Continental, which from the front and side (aside from those handles in the chrome trim) I have a tough time seperating from a MKZ.

I would assume there would be a central B-pillar for latch mounting, and side-impact protection. it would be foolish to think we could somehow get a 4-door hardtop out of the mix, but if Mercedes-Benz has been doing pillarless hardtops in 2018-19, I'm holding out hope.

2018-E-COUPE-CAROUSEL-LEFT-1-2-D.jpg

The saturn Ion and RX8 had a pillarless suicide doors because the "pillar" was built into the door itself. What was annoying about that setup is both doors have to be open. I don't think the continental will do that because it would be a stupid thing to do on a luxury car that people might be chauffeured in.

The original 60's suicide door continental had a center door latch pillar but it wasn't a "B pillar" in the traditional sense in that it extended up to the roof. The problem with that arrangement is that as those cars rusted the pillar sometimes broke loose and then the doors couldn't latch close, and if they did they would rattle.

I think it would be nice to have a new suicide door continental on the market, even if it isn't a pillarless hardtop. maybe they will come out with a long wheelbase model too so it can get back to being the staple of black car service.

That was my first thought too, about the b-pillar. If they can do it without a b-pillar/a kind of crash b-pillar integrated into the doors, that would be pretty darn cool. Then put a pano moon roof in the car.

Do any of those MBZs have a pano roof option.

I've been obsessed with this idea lately, a traditional 'hard top' car with so many windows that open that you can almost have the best of both worlds of a regular car and a convertible. What I really want is a (next gen) 4Runner with a pano roof, with the rear window.

Do any of those MBZs have a pano roof option.

I've been obsessed with this idea lately, a traditional 'hard top' car with so many windows that open that you can almost have the best of both worlds of a regular car and a convertible. What I really want is a (next gen) 4Runner with a pano roof, with the rear window.

Yes, newer ones are available with a pano-roof. Even the SL-convertibles come with a glass top option. I've always been interested in MB 2-door hardtops because they are indeed phenominal cruisers (especially on a summer/FL evening commute) but none of the modern ones come with a stick. Times have changed, auto-technology has gotten better...maybe one of the 201x's several years down the road after depreciation has taken it's toll on the used price of one.

https://jalopnik.com/heres-what-the-lincoln-continental-should-have-looked-l-1824077079

Jalopnik posted yesterday about a concept I remember from years ago, which coming out of college reinvigorated my lust for land yachts. Would be cool to see something like this again.

Tough to park??? SO IS YOUR FUCKING SEQUOIA. It's time for the Luxo-Barge to regain the streets!

What would be the benefit of it though? Besides being different I don't see it.

To be honest, Functionality and Style are a hard balance to achieve. In most cases, you can only have something be look good but function terrible, not in all cases... but most. I feel like Suicide doors strike a good balance between functional and stylish. Traditionally, suicide doors have been seen as a very stylish and upscale type of option on vehicles which offered passengers a greater ease of entering and exiting the vehicle while at the same time providing the occupants with a lavish and unique way of enjoying their experience. The only reason they phased out the the last 30-40 years is due to safety concerns leaving very few cars to include them as a feature.

I don't know why, but i am a huge fan of automakers trying something new. Personally, I look at many cars on the road today and become very depressed at how boring and bland they really are. Sedans all look alike in terms of overall design and even trucks are starting to follow suit with the same BIG and BOLD looks to them. I love weird looking cars or ones that dared to be different. The Plymouth Prowler is a good example of a car that I "admire" but would never want to own and I use it as an example a lot. Sure, it was a shitbox when it was new, and was way overpriced... but it dared to be different, and I respect that.

This presents a few logistical problems with many of these "different" cars because many folks will just flat out not buy them either because they cost to much, they are too weird, or a combination of things. Honestly though, I think the industry needs a little "weird" right now with many options looking a bit... boring. I would LOVE to see a renaissance in luxury vehicles where lands yachts reign supreme. I don't mind the weird stuff... I say, Let it ride!!!