Computer Setup Ideas

Zx2guy19

wtf is with the XPS13 having the camera at the bottom of the screen by the keyboard? weird. also, the screen deflection is a little unnerving at the edges. and for fuck's sake, how are ALL the win10 XPS not touchscreen? Seem alright but I like the ASUS competitor better. Also, USB-C charging LOL

if you get a surface dock, get the brick one, not the stand up older ones.

windows 10 LOL responsible for most of the surface issues- win10 is a total bitch and will pull all kinds of fuckery if you're behind on updates, in the middle of updates, or it's a full moon. If you can't deal, there's always win8.1

wtf is with the XPS13 having the camera at the bottom of the screen by the keyboard? weird. also, the screen deflection is a little unnerving at the edges. and for fuck's sake, how are ALL the win10 XPS not touchscreen? Seem alright but I like the ASUS competitor better. Also, USB-C charging LOL

if you get a surface dock, get the brick one, not the stand up older ones.

windows 10 LOL responsible for most of the surface issues- win10 is a total bitch and will pull all kinds of fuckery if you're behind on updates, in the middle of updates, or it's a full moon. If you can't deal, there's always win8.1

The XPS 13 has it's webcam pointing up your nose because that was the ONLY place they could put it and still achieve the near "bezeless display". The industry is rapidly approaching full screen devices and Dell is no exception. the Camera for now will look up your nose, until someone embeds the damn thing into the display.

I disagree completely with Windows 10 being the source of the surfaces problems. Microsoft is a software company trying to become a "hardware" company. because of this, their hardware is so special and unique that the drivers to make this crap work ONLY exist on 1 device. Microsoft will has some way to go before they can nail the drivers and make them work 100% of the time. Unlike Apple, who is a Hardware company first, Software second, Microsoft has not had the proper time to really iron out all it's kinks. Windows 10 as a stand-alone OS, is "factually" a better OS then Windows 8.1 was, however I would argue that there was nothing really wrong with Windows 8.1, just that it was so far of a departure from classic windows style that we rejected it (rightfully so). IMHO I believe that if WIndows 8.1 were more polished and came out 2 versions after Windows 10, then we would have been given time to slowly grow with the product.

Anyways.... TL;DR.... Nothing is wrong with Windows 10, it's ALL the hardware/drivers to blame with the Surface and it's problems. Just try undocking a Surface Book with Nvidia Graphics while having any applications open, CRASH CITY!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Ending up going to Microcenter tonight and checking out the XPS in person- absolutely loved it. Came home, checked out the Dell Outlet site and found one that fit all my needs. Originally $1360, on outlet for $818 and randomly googled coupons codes and found one that took another 13% off, total score. Ended up being $760 out the door with tax and free shipping. Ordered a Bluetooth mouse off amazon and want to get a monitor for my “office”.

Any suggestions on a good monitor? Looking to spend about $150- totally open to that Dell site. Also, I need to get something to convert the mini USB port to accept regular size USB. What do I need to do that?

I use two 32" LED TV's for monitors. They do everything I need very well so don't dismiss them unless you really need something that an actual and more expensive monitor can do.

Any mini USB to USB type A adapter will work. You just need to know which types mini or micro A or B to full size USB typically that is called USB type A and is standard and the rectangular one.

Here's the wiki on them so you can get even more confused. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

*USB Type-C

And since you bought an XPS, you also have the option of Thunderbolt via USB Type-C, which would get you some additional features should you choose one.

At work I’m using the the Dell TB-15 Thunderbolt dock because i was having issues driving 2 1200p displays with the regular Dell WD-15 dock. That said, we have lots of people with just 1080p displays that have XPS’s that are using the WD-15 dock just fine.

The WD-15 dock has a much longer Type C cable on it than the TB-15 dock does, if that matters as well.

I use two 32" LED TV's for monitors. They do everything I need very well so don't dismiss them unless you really need something that an actual and more expensive monitor can do.

Any mini USB to USB type A adapter will work. You just need to know which types mini or micro A or B to full size USB typically that is called USB type A and is standard and the rectangular one.

Here's the wiki on them so you can get even more confused. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

That Wiki mind-fucked me haha. Damn I suck at this stuff.

*USB Type-C

And since you bought an XPS, you also have the option of Thunderbolt via USB Type-C, which would get you some additional features should you choose one.

At work I’m using the the Dell TB-15 Thunderbolt dock because i was having issues driving 2 1200p displays with the regular Dell WD-15 dock. That said, we have lots of people with just 1080p displays that have XPS’s that are using the WD-15 dock just fine.

The WD-15 dock has a much longer Type C cable on it than the TB-15 dock does, if that matters as well.

Thanks man- yeah, the guy at MC last night talked a lot about the Thunderbolt option but again, IDK wtf that is. So basically if I want to run things with a regular USB (my printer), I need a this?: https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Compatible-MacBook-Chromebook-Galaxy/dp/B07449RJV8/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1527770747&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=USB+C+to+USB&psc=1

Thanks man- yeah, the guy at MC last night talked a lot about the Thunderbolt option but again, IDK wtf that is. So basically if I want to run things with a regular USB (my printer), I need a this?: https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Compatible-MacBook-Chromebook-Galaxy/dp/B07449RJV8/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1527770747&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=USB+C+to+USB&psc=1

If you aren't going to use a dock, then yes.

The easy way to explain it is that USB-C (what you referred to as mini USB) is a shape of a connector, and Thunderbolt is a standard for data delivery via a connector, in this case USB-C. No big deal if you don't have Thunderbolt, for what you're using it's not likely you'll ever feel like you're missing out.

EDIT: and for monitors, I find the best deals are always just chatting up the employees in those sections at MC or BestBuy and asking if they have any open box or refurb deals, and just tell them your budget. They've always hooked me up, the last time I went to Best Buy I got a 29" widescreen monitor under $200.