Seam sealer - body gunk stuff?

zeitgeist57

I've not done much restorative body work, but I want to reattach the lower M3-style rocker to my E36. In addition, I installed a roll pan on the back of my Silverado, and I need to use seam sealer to make some permanent seals to ward off water and improve adhesion for the body kit.

Does anyone recommend a product? Something that can be somewhat precisely used, or slathered on thicker for a joint seal?

When I watch Akira-san do a body kit, what's the stuff he uses to join the kit to the body? That's the stuff I want...I think :)...

http://blog-de.kwautomotive.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/low_RWB-Miyabi-Build-KL-41.jpg

Akira-san isn't using that as a bonding agent to hold the panel (the screws into the body do that work), he's applying a bead so water doesn't get in between the body panel and the flare and cause damage like rust or dents when it freezes. To that end, I agree with red - windshield sealant, which would work for the silverado but not for the bmw.

For the bmw I would say 3m super trim adhesive, plastic and emblem adhesive, or super weatherstrip adhesive. Maybe even their high bond trim tape. If you want something heavier you could maybe use Surebond Metalbond sealant or eastwoods replacement panel adhesive.