1993 Toyota Mark II JZX90

BIGGU

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whew! You were going to replace all those parts ANYWAY, amirite? :no:

Car looks awesome!

Of course I was going to replace them which is why I have no problem just getting it done sooner than later.

wow, weak subframes and floppy bushings? you sure that's not a bmw?

Yep pretty sure since it has a reliable engine.

• 1 month later...

So been doing a bit of work to the car in the last few weeks. Finally get my new Cross brace that I imported over since mine has been missing the factory one. Also while I was at it a buddy of mine was selling his BC BR coils with swift springs so I went ahead and bought them since I had no idea how old mine were.

29215109477_787d663a88_b.jpg[/url]

29215109577_41b06d97c8_b.jpg[/url]

Old coils, With out a doubt they were quality ones but they are showing their age.

43246566675_05de0784d3_b.jpg[/url]

Now to the fun part, since I put the BC coils on the car was lower than it was previously was so I got kinda tired of looking at it with the GTR wheels in the front and stupid wheels in the rear. I spoke with the supplier of my Car Modify Wonder kit to find out the status since its been over 10 months since I had ordered. Much to my surprise they said its still sitting in japan waiting on shipping. since its being shipped in a container they want to have it full which I get but its kinda annoying to have spent all that money and to still be waiting for my product but its the name of the game I guess. After hearing that I decided screw it i'm just going to put the new wheels on and i'm damn glad I did. before you say anything yes the front does poke a bunch however don't forget my new fenders will be 35mm wider. Also I go to say for not having the car in front of me and only knowing what the specs of the wheels are in the front i'm pretty proud of the specs the wheels came out to be. its also rather unfortunate that when I rolled the fenders they creased. It will be annoying in the short term since when it goes to paint it will be fixed. Possibly if I pull the fenders I can fix it. Its really hard to actually roll toyota fenders with out this happening. Its because Toyota does fender lip liners which have square clips in the actual fender lip. What happens when you roll is the outside rolls in first which causes the fender to roll in a non uniform fashion. Also before anyone says anything yes the black corner markers need to go like stat... .

43246570245_8c18aa9ebe_b.jpg

43246571695_1daafbb806_b.jpg

44104369042_f25eab0816_b.jpg

43434258414_665cf5ecf5_b.jpg

44104365782_8c25bde181_b.jpg

44104369512_b29cd6115c_b.jpg

43246570035_373d1aaf70_b.jpg

Also I also picked up a new bucket seat and ill be moving the Recaro SR3 over to the passenger side.

42344244760_eefdb8d9bb_b.jpg

Even poking a bit it still looks great with the wheels all being the same. I love the color on them btw.

The wheels are staggered but they do have overall matching specs.

Fronts are 18x9.5 +12 and rears are 18x10.5 +22. Fronts are deep concave and rears are ultra deep concave. IIRC over all the fronts poke around 2 ish MM more than the rears. Either or im just glad that the measurements I did with out having seen the car and only knowing the specs that were on the front came out pretty dang close to what I was wanting overall.

Love those wheels. Especially the color. Looks good.

What color will the car be?

Thanks! I'm actually leaning toward Toyota Spruce Mica color code 6v4. Tons of flake tons of pop in the sun. no sun or shade and its a super dark green.

Toyota-Tacoma-Sport-Spruce-Mica-6V4-Painted-Grille-_1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So as a small update the cars been giving me a headache. Last Thursday I drove it home from the garage so I can get an alignment. backed it into the garage and noticed it was running a bit rough but for the life of me I cant remember if I shut it off or if it shut off on its own but anyway Friday morning comes around go to start it and it just cranks but never fires or even tries to. I spent a few minutes looking at a few things checked for fuel and spark. I was getting spark but I didnt smell any fuel on the spark plugs so then I pulled the fuel return line and tried to start and noticed no fuel coming out of the fuel rail so I had assumed it was just fuel related. I sprayed some starter fluid into the intake and it actually stumbled which tells me it wasn't getting fuel.

Fast forward to the next morning after getting a Walbro 460lph from Slowmotion, I replaced the pump and turn the key and it fires up then dies shortly after.... after researching a bit and remembering the 1jz-gte ecu always has capacitor issues which can cause a ton of random issues. I pulled the ECU and found 4 of the 6 capacitors took a dump. After looking for a stock ecu I came across some one local with an Apexi Power FC that said they would sell it to me cheap. I ended up taking them up on the deal and got home and plugged it in and it fires up and dies just like before. Fantastic.... I end up unplugging the IACV which when the car starts it hunts in the idle quickly and then dies.

Next stage is going to be replace fuel filter because I probably should anyway and confirm that it is truly getting fuel to the rail. After that part I will be replacing the TPS with the one from the other vvti motor I built and then the crank sensor. of those few options that has to be the problem sensor.

• 1 month later...

So I never really updated this go figure but I did get the car running by deleting the fuel pump and providing the fuel pump with 12v direct.

After that I did decide to put the stock motor for sale and I had a guy saying he was going to come pick it up so I pulled the engine and then the dude bailed on me...

Anyway with that said I did get some work completed. With the engine out I cleaned the bay and deleted ABS, Traction and some other BS that from the bay. I decided to re use some of the stock lines but then make some of my own later.

Before, notice all the crap in the top right side of the bay and the left side

43719229340_a85e12441f_b.jpg

After,

45486030512_60450824b5_b.jpg

After cleaning, I had to ream the motor mounts out a bit which is why that is painted black so it wont rust.

43719229290_b758955765_b.jpg

Clutch installed, and test fit to make sure there were no issues fitting. Turns out I did have to move the motor mounts around a bit to get it to fit.

45486037812_04421703b8_b.jpg

And I went ahead and put the trans on and installed it. Sadly when I pulled the clutch I thought the hub spacer was the same from the ORC 409D clutch to the clutch that im keeping ORC 559D. I found this out when I tried to put on the clutch slave which because the hub was longer on the 409D I couldn't even install it. Sadly that means i had to pull the engine again. oh well enjoy a few photos of the new engine in the car.

43719229320_b34af5dd81_b.jpg

45486038052_d8ea260594_b.jpg

Coming along nicely! Loving this build :popcorn:

So what did you end up doing with the 1jz? are you still using the r154 trans or did you swap that too?

Its still sitting in my garage. If you know anyone that wants it ive got it for sale and would let it go for $1350. No ECU or Harness however I am including timing belt, Water pump (and rear housing to delete hydro pump), timing belt idler, timing belt tensioner, rear main seal, valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals, cam seals and all that other jazz.

I am planning to keep the R154 as Ive never had an issue with my last r154 (once it got rebuilt) nor my W58. Im not super hard on it other than clutch kicks at the track. On the street I ease into the throttle and dont "bang" gears.

• 2 months later...

its time to post the crap ive been working on and as of this post this is where I am today.

So since I removed the stock oil cooler (well more like the GE doesen't have it) I needed to do something with the oil cooler setup. On my last 1.5j I did an oil cooler and never did a thermostat but this time around since I am planning the car for more of a D1SL vibe, I and going to drive it on the street more which means I should do a oil cooler thermostat. Ive honestly never been pleased with how the the oil lines and the oil thermostat looked until I came across the Improved racing thermostatic oil filter mount. It is a bit expensive for what it is to be frank but its simple, elegant and really makes the lines easy to deal with. I cant recommend this enough. The only thing Id like more would be for it to have 1/8npt fittings for oil temp or oil pressure but thats just me.

31531066957_30dde2a02c_b.jpg

32598344228_fbc83e884a_b.jpg

45557936845_9375d2534e_b.jpg

And now to my oil filter adapter. This thing keeps evolving every time. it has 2 1/2 to 10an adapters, and 3 total 1/8 NPT, One of the fittings is a -4an oil feed for the turbo, one is for the oil temp and lastly one is for the oil pressure. Now you may be asking why am I using a -10 with 1/8npt extension on one of the fittings. Well it actually made it easier to run the oil line for the cooler because now its staggered I can run both -10 on top of each other.

44654051510_5c407d5d76_b.jpg

The next big hurdle on this car became wiring. As you have read I have been wanting to go Haltech 2500 on this car and thus became the fun part of adapting the engine to the car. For this I turned to none other than Mark at Panic wiring. Seriously Mark is amazing at what he does and even though Ive failed to tell him things I wanted he added them in anyway!

Anyway Harness showed up and so did the Haltech Elite 2500, 150 PSI oil pressure, 150 psi Fuel pressure, oil temp, 5 bar map sensor, IAT, Flex Fuel sensor and WB1 wideband controller. I seriously cannot get over how small this 2500 is, I had a AEM V1 in a car before and that thing was like a brick!

44654051950_732ab62dc4_b.jpg

31531064377_eeda4b3eef_b.jpg

44654051890_7a4730e27f_b.jpg

Harness on the engine. its amazing how clean the harness is and how you really cant even see it.

32598344768_cd444643a7_b.jpg

Now back to cooling, As some of you know I did order a Koyo JZX90 radiator, well after searching around for a fan I got annoyed and sold it because there are so few fan options out there for that core. I decided to buy a Koyo JZX100 radiator and I ended up getting IS300 fans and shroud. I need to do a bit more fitting for the bottom but the top basically bolts right up.

32598344348_fc8d893abd_b.jpg

Last thing, I never cared for my HID retrofit. I went against my best judgement and let TRS talk me into doing d2s projectors and honestly they worked with alot of cutting but I was never happy with it. So I ordered Mini h1 projectors and new headlights. Its a shame I got to open these lights because they are so clean. Oh well, if anyone wants the lenses that are not yellowed Ill be selling them. Ill be transfering my clear lenses over.

31531064647_dd3f4cf577_b.jpg

Coming along nicely sir! I will put the word out for that 1jz for ya too.

appreciate it, Thank fully the 1jz is sold already!

not much updates to be had yet, Ill be running to the garage to do little things today but I did get notice my down pipe is complete and should be shipping today or monday which means my intercooler should be coming as well.

44695916100_a79b01ac95_b.jpg

Mines one of the ones on the left which is for RHD cars. With that said, I ordered a bunch of piping for intercooler piping and I also ordered my Haltech IQ3 dash yesterday.

Other than that I went ahead and scheduled my tune with Dynosty on Febuary 26th so ive got a target date to get this all completed and ready.

Plan today is probably going to be mounting the radiator fan securely to the radiator and then power up the car so I can program in the fans to the ECU and probably some other small stuff.

So I wasnt able to complete as much as I had hoped to this weekend however I did at the very least get the fans mounted to the radiator and radiator/ fan mounted into the car. I also started to figure out the intercooler setup. Unfortunately I wasn't going to be able to run the piping on the cold side how I wanted but It looks like the original JZX90 intercooler piping I had will work so i'm going to plan on just using that for now. The rest of the piping should arrive this saturday so hopefully I can get the hot side about ready depending on when the intercooler shows up. Last real thing to figure out for the JZX100 radiator is the sensor in the bottom. My JZX90 sensor while it threads in I dont believe will seal. I may just plug this as my fans will triggered off the engine temp being reported to the ECU.

44751578970_4087fca450_b.jpg

46569310741_9a5ac1b203_b.jpg

I did however finally get my dash for the car. I ended up with the Haltech IQ3 Street as I am going to replace my entire cluster with this one thing. Since this is the street dash it has the hookups for turn signals, lights, fuel level and odometer so I plan to use all that. Sadly this means ill be cutting up my current cluster to mount it all but It should be well worth it in the end.

45845415054_1ab697190b_b.jpg

So once again I didn't really get as much done as I was hoping due to waiting for Fedex to deliver the aluminum intercooler piping but I did get to spend time doing piddly stuff. Ive grown frustrated waiting on parts to be delivered so I can start this thing so I decided to just mount the oil cooler in front of the radiator. Honestly I am a bit worried its going to block air flow but I put it on the side with the static pressure fans so it will help out. I ran out of -10an lines so I need to go grab more from Jegs along with another -10an straight fitting so I can finish the oil line for the oil cooler. I will technically be able to start this thing next week is my hope.

So what I did get accomplished last weekend,

Mount oil cooler

make one oil cooler line

make new radiator support brace (so I can do the oil cooler)

figured out the upper hot side intercooler piping

mounted battery

mounted PWM fan relay

mounted second fan relay

mounted wideband and hooked up all the connections

dug into the dash to begin figuring out cluster mounting

traced dash connector wiring so I can plug all that into the digital dash harness

powered up the car to test ECU power and fuel lines. To be honest I was worried that the fuel lines may leak since I flared the stock metal lines to -6an and the lines are not standard. Regardless its good and no fuel smell which makes me happy.

39697620713_08962803e7_b.jpg

46662510491_7746d321e2_b.jpg

46662508651_2af462b65a_b.jpg

46609969542_e469bc51e6_b.jpg

39697620873_2f8af1c060_b.jpg