Anyone been to Maui?

Gergwheel1647545492

I searched and found some older threads. But looking for anything new that someone might have to contribute. We are only going to Maui so please don't suggest other islands. Looking for hotels for a 3 night stay, already have 5 nights planned at Sugar Beach area. Thinking about the Kaanapali area, but open to staying anywhere else on the island.

Also open to suggestions on things to do. I know i want to go to Haleakala and try and get to the top. Would love to go to the black sand beach sometime too. Other ideas?

I went there for my parents wedding in 2004. I don't recall what hotel we stayed at but I believe it was in Kaanapali. They've been back a few times since then and usually rent out a beachfront condo from a couple friends they met there.

Memorable things:

-The road to Hana was a great drive

-We stopped at the black sand beach along the way. It was cool. I seem to recall someone telling me that it's not actually sand but the shit from some fish in that bay. LOL. Not sure if that's true or not.

-La Haina at night was pretty cool. Tons of little art boutiques right on the street.

-Go to a luau. Stay away from the polynesian food.

If I were to go back, I'd make a hunting trip out of it. Not sure if you're into that during a 'vacation' (I am...), but they offer some fantastic Axis Deer and Mouflon sheep hunts.

I searched and found some older threads. But looking for anything new that someone might have to contribute. We are only going to Maui so please don't suggest other islands. Looking for hotels for a 3 night stay, already have 5 nights planned at Sugar Beach area. Thinking about the Kaanapali area, but open to staying anywhere else on the island.

Also open to suggestions on things to do. I know i want to go to Haleakala and try and get to the top. Would love to go to the black sand beach sometime too. Other ideas?

I have ridden my bike from Paia all the way to the observation tower on Haleaklea - 34 miles almost 11,000 feet.

The Road to Hana was a lot of fun. Along that road we had some great shrimp from a little school bus on the side of a cliff. We stopped at the 7 Sacred Pools and swam a little and then walked the bamboo forest there. There was a husband and wife off the road that were cooking good meals for a fair price. Stopped at the Black Sand beach and explored a bit. Saw a cool ass Lava Tube further down the road as well. The backside of the island was beautiful with lots of open farm area and mountains. We stopped at a hippie village by accident. No electricity, but they had everything they needed, off the grid and their "tea" was pretty good.

The Luau we went to was awesome! The pig was good. We tipped the waiter $20 when we got there and he doubled up our drinks all night. Had to get a ride back the hotel.

We took a boat ride out to Molokini crater and snorkeled there. That was a good time as well. They made hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill on the back of the boat. It also included free beer.

We went to a winery that was on a pineapple farm. They told us that they fed the scraps to the cows on the property. Ended up driving up to the little town of Makawau and had some of one of said cows. Best steak i've ever personally had.

Haleakala was AMAZING! It's cold as shit up there. Take some warm clothes.

The Luau we went to was awesome! The pig was good. We tipped the waiter $20 when we got there and he doubled up our drinks all night. Had to get a ride back the hotel.

We took a boat ride out to Molokini crater and snorkeled there. That was a good time as well. They made hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill on the back of the boat. It also included free beer.

We went to a winery that was on a pineapple farm. They told us that they fed the scraps to the cows on the property. Ended up driving up to the little town of Makawau and had some of one of said cows. Best steak i've ever personally had.

Haleakala was AMAZING! It's cold as shit up there. Take some warm clothes.

What Luau did you go to? I have been looking and they book up fast, so i want to make sure and get this done ASAP

What Luau did you go to? I have been looking and they book up fast, so i want to make sure and get this done ASAP

Unfortunately, I have no clue. It was about 7 years ago and the pictures i have don't show a name. All I can tell you is that i'm pretty sure it was part of an older Hotel (not ours). It was right on the ocean front though. Awesome views

road to hana sucked. took 4ish hours, almost entirely sitting 10 minutes to let traffic pass 2 cars at a time across all 400 of the 1-lane bridges, and was almost gridlocked the entire way. on a weekday. would be fun if nobody else was on the road, and it wasn't even peak season LOL.

do lots of snorkeling. maui is awesome and tiny, can see the whole place in a weekish. bonus points if it's during the sweet onion festival, if you're into onions