DriveTribe: CR should be better..................

zeitgeist57

I cant figure out what the site is really even for....I mean I see a lot of content....I just dont know what I want to see lol

yeah that's another problem with it - it's impossible to get original content out there and promoted, and even harder to compete with other more established brands like petrolicious for views.

basically 1/2 the high profile ones used them as support for their other platforms (petrolicious, silodrome, etc...) while the other half was using it to drive traffic somewhere else where ad revenue could be harvested through just constant posting and linking. It was miserable.

I have many ideas for this site... #MakeCRGreatAgain! :-P

For those who don't know Drivetribe, it is a Automotive Social Media platform created by the Top Gear Boys (James, Jeremy, and Richard). The TL;DR is that the website is (reportedly) burning through cash at an alarming rate, Making no profit what-so-ever.

My problem with their business plan, the majority of their core market is pretty fucking dumb overall. You can barely expect people to put a coherent sentence on facebook, now you want them to attempt stringing enough thoughts together to sign up for your site as well?

How is the site supposed to make money? Ads?

How it was initially supposed to work:

- Native Ads (Advertisers form their own tribe populate with their own content)

- Branded Content ( pay C/H/M to write content for them).

- Merch Sales

the initial plan wasn't to monetize user submitted content like youtube does but just to rely on native advertising - basically top of the house makes money, everyone else is working for free.

How it was eventually supposed to work:

- once profitable they were supposed to open up monetizing content for reliable content providers through ad placement

- opening up the merch store to be a marketplace for reliable merch peddlers where they just take a cut, in addition to their own merch.

- Sale of aggregated data.

What I really dislike:

It's a competitive model. Rather than being an open space where everyone can co-exist, there was some artificial competition for likes and members that was directly tied to how your stuff was promoted on the site. So if you came in with thousands of followers already from another platform you were at the top of the chain right away, making it difficult for people to start up on the site. Plus without the ad revenue, you had to maintain a separate revenue stream on a separate site and DT would just be promotion for your other site.

It also doesn't offer anything novel. Youtube offered public video hosting first and foremost - it filled a need. You could argue that DT filled the need for aggregate vehicle content, but channels on youtube already did that, and they were great about cross promoting which DT doesn't do well at all.