Amazon HQ2

zeitgeist57

HQ's aren't about logistics and delivery, they are about networking and management. NYC offers access to the upper mgmt of companies that cbus can't. VA offers access to government contracts, lobbyists, politicians, etc....that Cbus can't. Amazon built a fulfillment center here, because that is what the city did offer - a major hub for transportation and shipping (logistics).

Amazon isn't a startup, and while Columbus has a lot to offer a lot of other companies, in the end NYC is still the center of the financial, fashion, advertising, and Art and has a large employment pool of digital media and high technology people to draw from.

I read through the comments here and I hear are a bunch of jealous biddy's bitching about why Amazon took NYC and VA to the prom and how they look fat in that dress.

Well said.

If my comments appear bitter, it's that my perception of a disruptor is to take something that's often overlooked, get in at a low level, drive new technology and efficiencies to dramatically improve business processes, and succeed where others didn't before.

I realize that perception is a bit too romantic. :)

Clearly, Amazon is large enough that it can extract maximum value from being close to global business/government hubs (NYC and VA).

Well said.

If my comments appear bitter, it's that my perception of a disruptor is to take something that's often overlooked, get in at a low level, drive new technology and efficiencies to dramatically improve business processes, and succeed where others didn't before.

I realize that perception is a bit too romantic. :)

Clearly, Amazon is large enough that it can extract maximum value from being close to global business/government hubs (NYC and VA).

There is a lot of positive things to be said for Cbus's growth and that alone is probably why we even made the short list as a city. I can see the positive in Amazon having selected this as their market because of central location and the idea of building out the industry on their terms (suppliers come to them, not the other way around), and of course standard of living and salaries would go up. There are enough banking satellite offices here that they could have even pulled some of the financial industry this way.

In the end though I sometimes wonder if Amazon HQ offices would have been a good fit for this city, which def has room to grow but would need to grow quick, fast and in a hurry. If you think our housing prices now are wonky, it would have only gotten worse. plus standard of living costs, and other things that would impact the natives already stalking this land.

There is a lot of positive things to be said for Cbus's growth and that alone is probably why we even made the short list as a city. I can see the positive in Amazon having selected this as their market because of central location and the idea of building out the industry on their terms (suppliers come to them, not the other way around), and of course standard of living and salaries would go up. There are enough banking satellite offices here that they could have even pulled some of the financial industry this way.

Also, the best pizza is here in the midwest. Now what are all them employees gonna eat for lunch? NY street hotdogs? Groce.

Explain yourself.

CB joke. Kerry gets it.

EDIT: tl;dr is Kerry often goes off on how CBus sucks, NYC is way better, the food here is nasty, etc. etc. We all go back and forth. He doesn't believe Chicago style is "midwest" and is upset that Ohio doesn't have a signature pizza style. We also don't have the "right water" to make good pizza.

CB joke. Kerry gets it.

EDIT: tl;dr is Kerry often goes off on how CBus sucks, NYC is way better, the food here is nasty, etc. etc. We all go back and forth. He doesn't believe Chicago style is "midwest" and is upset that Ohio doesn't have a signature pizza style. We also don't have the "right water" to make good pizza.

Ok just to clear it up...

1. I don't often say Cbus outright sucks, but I do make observations about ways in which Cbus and Ohio could be better (like writing less speeding tickets, lol). I live here, and I like it....mostly....but you all do have things that to an outsider seem really strange

2. I don't also say NYC is way better, but I do often defend it against a lot of misconceptions - like the comments about steam heat in this thread, It's called district heating and it is one of the most environmentally friendly and efficient ways to heat a lot of high rise buildings that are close together. It's not widely adopted in the US because most cities are sprawling and not the tight cluster that NYC is. It is widely used in europe, Japan, and northern China. There have been 12 steam explosions since 1987, I was there for the one in 2007 and saw it first hand, which was one of the worst ones. I dusted myself off and went back to work because it was no big deal.

3. Chicago style pizza is distinct from pizza commonly sold here and surrounding states which is referred to as "midwest pizza" (cut into squares, cornmeal in dough or cooked on cornmeal, basically donatos). It's its own thing, and I don't think CBus does it particularly well. But that's ok, you guys have great german food which left NYC decades ago.

4. Part of the taste of NYC pizza is in the water used to make the dough and some of the other ingredients. NYC water comes from an upstate Aquifer and has a specific taste that translates to the dough. the water is also ice cold when making the dough, something a lot of people outside NYC don't know or do. So yeah, you don't have the right water. Also most NYC pizza uses Polly-o Cheese, which wasn't sold in the Cbus market until very recently (I spotted some bricks of Polly-O at my local walmart for the first time last weekend). Even when NYC style brick oven comes to Cbus, the taste is off. So my point is - don't try to imitate NYC pizza, embrace midwestern style pizza and make it unique and it's own thing (and not just unique because you cut it into squares).

/Rant

Now, back to Amazon....

Serious question, If there was one specific company (besides Amazon) that you could see being a good fit for this city, What company would it be and why?

1. I don't often say Cbus outright sucks, but I do make observations about ways in which Cbus and Ohio could be better (like writing less speeding tickets, lol). I live here, and I like it....mostly....but you all do have things that to an outsider seem really strange

1) Obey signs. Folks won't get as many tickets if they obey posted signs. Isn't that your mantra?

2) Fair enough. I believe the same could be said to any "outsider" relocating to anywhere. Are you suggesting that midwesterners wouldn't find some things in NYC "really strange"? :lol:

2. I don't also say NYC is way better, but I do often defend it against a lot of misconceptions - like the comments about steam heat in this thread, It's called district heating and it is one of the most environmentally friendly and efficient ways to heat a lot of high rise buildings that are close together. It's not widely adopted in the US because most cities are sprawling and not the tight cluster that NYC is. It is widely used in europe, Japan, and northern China. There have been 12 steam explosions since 1987, I was there for the one in 2007 and saw it first hand, which was one of the worst ones. I dusted myself off and went back to work because it was no big deal. [/qupte]

So...it's steam heat but just called something different?

3. Chicago style pizza is distinct from pizza commonly sold here and surrounding states which is referred to as "midwest pizza" (cut into squares, cornmeal in dough or cooked on cornmeal, basically donatos). It's its own thing, and I don't think CBus does it particularly well. But that's ok, you guys have great german food which left NYC decades ago.

I would agree on the pizza, but I would also say that NYC has its own distinct pizza that surrounding regions differ from/don't do as well so why look for "midwestern pizza"? Do you call NYC pizza, "east coast pizza"?

I'd say NYC and CHI def have pizza they're known for. Other than those 2 specific cities I cannot think of anywhere "known" for their pizza.

4. Part of the taste of NYC pizza is in the water used to make the dough and some of the other ingredients. NYC water comes from an upstate Aquifer and has a specific taste that translates to the dough. the water is also ice cold when making the dough, something a lot of people outside NYC don't know or do. So yeah, you don't have the right water. Also most NYC pizza uses Polly-o Cheese, which wasn't sold in the Cbus market until very recently (I spotted some bricks of Polly-O at my local walmart for the first time last weekend). Even when NYC style brick oven comes to Cbus, the taste is off. So my point is - don't try to imitate NYC pizza, embrace midwestern style pizza and make it unique and it's own thing (and not just unique because you cut it into squares).

/Rant

I love the water argument. I'm not saying you're wrong or I'm right, but that it's funny. If 2 pizzas were made the exact same with the only difference being the source of the water (providing both were good, clean, sources) I bet you couldn't tell a difference. Same water temp, dough ingredients, sauce, cheese, toppings, etc. I just don't think it would be noticeable. Could be wrong but I don't think I am.

Now, back to Amazon....

Serious question, If there was one specific company (besides Amazon) that you could see being a good fit for this city, What company would it be and why?

Pabst.

1) Obey signs. Folks won't get as many tickets if they obey posted signs. Isn't that your mantra?

2) Fair enough. I believe the same could be said to any "outsider" relocating to anywhere. Are you suggesting that midwesterners wouldn't find some things in NYC "really strange"? :lol:

Same could be said. I tend to value any opinion of NYC by people who haven't lived there with about as much regard as I value dogshit on my shoe.

So...it's steam heat but just called something different?

Yes but the comment was using it as a way to say NYC is outdated and technologically obsolete, except that steam heat is in it's 4th generation and new systems are being built.

I would agree on the pizza, but I would also say that NYC has its own distinct pizza that surrounding regions differ from/don't do as well so why look for "midwestern pizza"? Do you call NYC pizza, "east coast pizza"?

You call it NYC pizza or NYC style Pizza. There are no shortage of restaurants that actually use that in their name, case in point: Adriatico's New York Style Pizza

I'd say NYC and CHI def have pizza they're known for. Other than those 2 specific cities I cannot think of anywhere "known" for their pizza.

Italy

Pabst.

But, this city has so much good beer....why? :gabe:

Same could be said. I tend to value any opinion of NYC by people who haven't lived there with about as much regard as I value dogshit on my shoe.

The ironing.

Yes but the comment was using it as a way to say NYC is outdated and technologically obsolete, except that steam heat is in it's 4th generation and new systems are being built.

Outdated technology can have new systems.

You call it NYC pizza or NYC style Pizza. There are no shortage of restaurants that actually use that in their name, case in point: Adriatico's New York Style Pizza

Precisely my point. Thank you.

Italy

What state is Italy in? Prob somewhere in the PNW.

But, this city has so much good beer....why? :gabe:

:lol:

Like what? I'm always curious to hear stuff like this. I know pop (soda) is a common one....what else?

Why is no one mentioning the fact that all of NYC smells like a fucking bag of garbage that was blown out via fart.

I've been to NYC 40+ times and it's my least favorite city in the world. As in, I'd rather spend a night in Pittsburgh than NYC. It's messy, chaotic, again, smells like a fucking fart, and highly overpriced. I can get a better bagel at Blocks in Bexley than NYC.

Also, the best pizza is here in the midwest. Now what are all them employees gonna eat for lunch? NY street hotdogs? Groce.

That’s the only good thing about NYC. The pizza baked goods and food is better, think of it as eating a great pizza in a public bathroom.

Why is no one mentioning the fact that all of NYC smells like a fucking bag of garbage that was blown out via fart.

Well...

It's literally trash. The only reason it's so popular is b/c some dudes landed there eons ago, killed the natives, and weren't smart enough to find a place with fertile land, better hunting, etc. They just kept growing in population and dumping shit pots out their windows.

I've been to NYC 40+ times and it's my least favorite city in the world. As in, I'd rather spend a night in Pittsburgh than NYC. It's messy, chaotic, again, smells like a fucking fart, and highly overpriced. I can get a better bagel at Blocks in Bexley than NYC.

Bingo.

I won't lie, it was cool to visit when younger, but hell no to living there. If I'd won that $1B lotto I'd never pay for a place there. Silly.

That’s the only good thing about NYC. The pizza baked goods and food is better, think of it as eating a great pizza in a public bathroom.

:lol: Groce.

This has turned into a food thread, I gotta agree with Kerry about ice cold water.

Being Italian, when we make dough for pasta we always put ice cubes in the water.

I don't know why but that has been passed down for years.

Saying, "in my opinion making pizza dough with ice cold water improves the taste," is one thing. Saying, "dough has to be made with NY water or it's complete trash," is just asinine. lol

Seems very smoke in mirrors.

They put out that they were looking for somewhere that would give them incentive (many places offered more) Offered employable talent (Its got $39 to fly anywhere on Spirit- good companies attract talent to any location) Close to an international airport (any large city) and easy of public and owned transportation (DEF NOT FUCKING NYC OR VA)

I think Amazon put out feelers last year, wanted more, so the started a feeding frenzy. They knew where they wanted to be before day one of this.

Bravo.