WTB: Ruger GP100 / SP101 .357 Mag

Disclaimer

I know you did... :)

You showed me a badass shotgun too, but I think the Browning might be better for me - I'll get a Nova pump with an 18" too for under the bed.

I just stopped at FFFO in Ashland today (I was in Mansfield for Mommas Day)... they're running specials on the SP101s ($449) and M&Ps ($499). Just having never fired a handgun in the last decade, I'd like to try some out at the range to see how different the .357 / .38 special are versus a .40. Then I was going to check prices at the Vermillon gun show later this month. Unless there's some added value of buying from a retailer like Gander or FFFO? I like the SP101s, but I really want the 3" GP in Stainless - you just can't find it anywhere. Ideally, I'd like to get something my g/f can use - in a pinch. Which makes the M&P nice because of the interchangeable backstraps - and I could make that my CCW gun... the SP is a nice size, but using it for CCW with the exposed hammer - I dunno.

There's nothing special about one place or the other when it comes to retailers, you're simply looking for the best price and of course there's the paperwork. Gunshows...you might get lucky if you're patient and no paperwork obviously. There were several GP100's at the Medina show a while ago. I can tell you right now that if you're shooting .357 Mags you might as well get a .45 ACP. .40's kick just as much also so if you're thinking the GF won't be able to use it you better plan on getting her a 9mm or something else. My wife can shoot my .45 but she doesn't do it a lot. As long as she understands the guns operates and knows how to properly sight in her target, it will get a hole put in it.

As for the GP and exposed hammer stuff, people have been carrying revolvers for a long long time. I wouldn't let that keep you from using it for the CCW. Most places won't even let or make you shot it from the holster anyway (liability risk). It will be out on a bench awaiting the instructors firing range commands, very simple and quite easy.

Tell you what...let's make a plan to head to the range. I'll bring the plinkster (.22 Neo w/ Red Dot), the FNP-9, and the PT-145. I'll give you the 9 and .45, give the .22 to your GF along with a little instruction so she know what to expect. Then we'll let her shoot the 9 and .45 so she comfortable and knows what to expect. Hell, if your folks have some land we could just road trip it down there since I could spend more time giving you some safety instruction and tips.

Give me a holla when you have some free time. I'll be down in TN this week and get home on Fri. evening.

Yeah the lorain B&T is WAY to much into glocks. I have never rented there, They look to have a few less guns there to rent then stonewall does. They offer hearing protection there for rent, but if your getting into shooting just buy a set of your own. I use push in plugs myself dont much care for the fit of the earmuffs. The pt145 is a nice gun but i own one also !LOL We should all go to the range and let you try a couple out.

Tell me about it...all I heard was 'GLOCK GLOCK GLOCK GLOCK GLOCK GLOCK'. I was just about ready to tell the dude to go blow his Glock. I have a 2nd gen. PT with the stupidly long trigger pull. Turbo810 recent bought one at B&T in Lorain and what a difference this latest gen. is. The trigger is sooo much better now. I had to take it down to see what was different and if I could upgrade mine. No dice though because the trigger assembly AND firing mechanism was completely different. I might as well just buy a new one.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell you what...let's make a plan to head to the range. I'll bring the plinkster (.22 Neo w/ Red Dot), the FNP-9, and the PT-145. I'll give you the 9 and .45, give the .22 to your GF along with a little instruction so she know what to expect. Then we'll let her shoot the 9 and .45 so she comfortable and knows what to expect. Hell, if your folks have some land we could just road trip it down there since I could spend more time giving you some safety instruction and tips.

Give me a holla when you have some free time. I'll be down in TN this week and get home on Fri. evening.

My folks have 15 acres out in the country, if you don't mind the drive/ride down there - that's an option, if it's nice. I still want to see how a .357 kicks though - I'll have to rent one of those at the range. I know my g/f will probably need a revolver because she won't remember how to work an autoloader when push comes to shove, she'll need something she can just pick up and shoot. I don't think she'd be comfortable operating the slide anyway.

I'll be in touch when you're back in town, assuming I'm still employed tomorrow - big Town Hall meeting.

i carry a Taurus 85 Ultralight .38 as my BUG... that thing kicks like mule and it's easily concealable. I think Taurus are a very good firearm and i've never had a problem with the 8 i own. including a 1990 pt92 i use for target.

You should get into some practical shooting scenario's. My buddy owns Trigger Time Indoor shooting range in Massillon and they have shoots every sunday. it's fun and good training for everyday experiences.

Operating the slide isn't necessary if the gun is chambered. All she'll have to do is click the safety(pending there is a safety) and pull the trigger.

Good luck with the work stuff. :(

Thanks, I think I'll still be employed, but the rumors are 4 day work weeks, or mandatory furloughs... so I'll have a 20% pay cut on top of the 5% I already had to eat. I'm just going to have to keep reducing my retirement contributions to make sure my net take home pay stays relatively steady.

Regarding having it already chambered... I don't know how comfortable I am having a chambered gun around with a woman in the house. :p;)

That's a nice find for a gun show r1crusher. If you want to rent more then one gun and something other than a glock or Sig, you might have to hit up stonewall. They can kinda be dick there sometimes but they have lots of guns to rent. And they have twice what B&T has in the cases. You will find a better deal somewhere else most times though.

I thought so also and I got the guy down another $40. Was wanting $395 and just asked what his be deal was...lucky for me it was $355 so I put $20 in my pocket since I was given $375 cash to get one. He-he. I've only been to Stonewall one time and they were okay to me.

Justin, I'm going to ask the wife to get that .357 in the pic from her step-dad. I'm not sure if he'll give it up for a weekend but we'll see. All it really does is sit in a his drawer at the factory.

home defense = shotgun. Unless you have enough practice with a handgun even if it is a monster like a .357 or a smaller .380 and everything in between you will be lucky to hit what you are aiming at during any high stress encounter if you are anything 10+ feet. Sound goofy but trust me that's how it works. With a shotgun you can rely on the spread of the double .00 buck shot. but then again you could be like me and have an AR15, a .40 and a 9mm ready at hand (i shoot very frequently and have been specially trained) - for your home defense. If you are concerned about your woman or anyone else getting to your gun that is chambered (a. never have a gun that is loaded without it being chambered....if its not chambered, whats the f'ing point? haha) they make nice lock boxes (check out GunVault) that with a few button pushes of a combo the door will unlock and your gun will be there or locked up or ready at hand within less than a second. Just my .02. Good luck with your search for what works for you!

Gun grocery list:

Browning Maxus 26" (when available)

Benelli Nova / 870 Express 18"

Ruger GP100 3" Stainless

S&W M&P .357 Sig

Bonus points if I can get the Ruger and S&W with Crimson Trace.

Edited by JRMMiii

Look into the .357 sig before you buy very pricey ammo and almost never see it anywhere. I know screwloose swapped barrels on his sig to go from .357sig to .40 due to price and lack of sources. I use to have a m&p good guns and they make them with a safety now.

Yea, I've been reading ammo was hard to find and pricey... but I wouldn't be running a lot of rounds through it. I'm not so concerned about ammo prices because guns aren't really a hobby of mine - I look at them more like a 1/4" ratchet or Allen key set - tools I need in my life just in case I need to "fix" something.

You might want to rethink your statement there Justin. If you plan on having the gun as a carry weapon or even just for the house you should get in the habit of shooting at least once a month. Practice, practice, practice...things should become instinctual for you if something were to happen.

I'm planning on training... once a month might be a little excessive for me, but quarterly at the least.

First thing's first though... acquiring the pieces. Now that I know I'll be employed until at LEAST September, I need to find my Ruger and M&P. I'll call B&T during lunch to see if they have either one I'm looking for.

Since I can't find any place that carries the GP100 with the 3" barrel I want NOR the .357 SIG M&P, I'll probably end up getting the SP101 with the 3" barrel and the .40 M&P, both on "special" at Fin Feather and Fur this month.