2014 bmwd awd

Johny Utah

Those aren't very common, so the sample size is small. We don't see many at our dealership. The technology is pretty similar to the 6 cylinder models. Lots of parts in the SCR system. Similar EGR system for it to gunk up the intake, etc. It will last 200k miles but the parts are NOT cheap. I guess it depends on what you are used to owning whether it would be "reliable" or not.

I have a 03 Tundra that has 231,000 miles on it. Have had virtually no problems with it.

Don’t want to get something that’s going to require a lot of expensive maintenance.

I figured the diesel might be ok. With good mpg.

The cost to own the D wouldn't be worth it just for the increase in mileage in my opinion. On a BMW anyway.

Any BMW isn't gonna have Toyota reliability...

If you want a BMW I get it but its not gonna be free of issues.

Its going to require a lot of expensive maintenance.

I drive my FJ around for 8 years now....its fine.

Bought the Mrs. that Mini Countryman and now the transfer case is going out at 60K miles. That is like a $4000 job (at dealer) and T-cases seem to be a pretty big problem with BMWs. That isnt even the first issue with it and its still "young"

Sure some dont have any problems with the bimmers....someone also won the Powerball.

As a serial used bmw owner, if you are looking for something different - have you considered a VW GTi?

My Brother and Wife have both had MK5 platform cars (GTi, Audi A3) and have both had very good luck with them. Plus they come in stick (something the bmw diesel cars don't do).

The thing about German cars is they work best with preventative maintenance. they aren't expensive to own unless you start to defer maintenance and then things start to add up. Also, that sometimes requires you to go above the dealer's recommendations like doing an oil change every 5K instead of 10K and actually changing out the gear lube because no car component is "lifetime fill" if you expect it to make it to 200K.

.... and actually changing out the gear lube because no car component is "lifetime fill" if you expect it to make it to 200K.

That is a great point, and I think why my Transfer case has died. I had no idea, even though 60K doesnt seem too excessive....but maybe it was since from my research it holds like 1/2 qt. of fluid. WTF.

As a serial used bmw owner, if you are looking for something different - have you considered a VW GTi?

My Brother and Wife have both had MK5 platform cars (GTi, Audi A3) and have both had very good luck with them. Plus they come in stick (something the bmw diesel cars don't do).

The thing about German cars is they work best with preventative maintenance. they aren't expensive to own unless you start to defer maintenance and then things start to add up. Also, that sometimes requires you to go above the dealer's recommendations like doing an oil change every 5K instead of 10K and actually changing out the gear lube because no car component is "lifetime fill" if you expect it to make it to 200K.

I don’t really like how the GTi looks. I do like the Jetta GLi.

I don’t really like how the GTi looks. I do like the Jetta GLi.

I have a 2016 GLI and love it. I get about 38mpg on the highway and the car actually has some really nice "get up". Paid a great price in April and have put almost 15k miles on it already. About to get a remote start done!

I have a 2016 GLI and love it. I get about 38mpg on the highway and the car actually has some really nice "get up". Paid a great price in April and have put almost 15k miles on it already. About to get a remote start done!

Are the seats comfortable for long drives?

Are the seats comfortable for long drives?

I love my GLI as well, but my number one complaint are the seats. I’m a bigger guy (6’4) and longer trips I wish it had the VW plaid non leather seats.

You can get them for a great price used and new. The new one will be launched next year after they show it in Detroit. It’s going to be a step up in performance going to more of the MQB chassis.

I have had mine 4 years and done some mods and it’s a fun car around town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my GLI as well, but my number one complaint are the seats. I’m a bigger guy (6’4) and longer trips I wish it had the VW plaid non leather seats.

Dude really?! I seriously love the seats, even more than my S4. But, I'm only 5'11".

I have an appointment to get a downpipe and tune done on mine, but really found the car to be fun without it. Ended up saving the cash and just enjoying the car as is. I am going to get a remote start soon though.

Dude really?! I seriously love the seats, even more than my S4. But, I'm only 5'11".

I have an appointment to get a downpipe and tune done on mine, but really found the car to be fun without it. Ended up saving the cash and just enjoying the car as is. I am going to get a remote start soon though.

I think they fit your size better. As we have talked about, I really like the downpipe and the software. The car pulls much better.