08 Silverado “whine”

Zx2guy19

Randomly started today, first time I’ve driven the truck in over a month (hence the low tire notification). Drive great and after about miles starting making a real bad whine out of nowhere. Tried to capture it through video...any ideas? I was thinking power steering pump because it gets worse when turning the wheel. Got too dark to check the fluid but can if someone thinks it’s that.

Can’t figure out how to post the videos...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So vague

Dude I have videos, just don't know how to post them.

Update: checked power steering last night, bone fucking dry. Going to fill it tonight which will solve it, but obviously PS is a sealed system, so if the level goes down again (which it will), I've got to figure out where.

100% PS of course, filled the reservoir and turned the wheel to get fluid into the rack. Reservoir was then completely empty again from filling the lines (the wheel was basically locked up when I started the truck). Filled reservoir back up and turned the wheel a few more times and the fluid ended up turning a pretty gnarly brown color. I assume this isn’t normal?

b6562cdfdc226f225d49c6c20374a577.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

probably not. how long did you drive it with 0 PS fluid in it?

Just keep a bottle of PS fluid with you cuz it will probably all piss out anyway if it was empty to begin with.

you know how when escalators fail they just become stairs? when when power steering fails it just becomes manual steering (and then costs you money).

Are you sure that’s just not aerated fluid, happens all the time when adding to a low system? Go back and check now that it’s sat awhile. As long as you don’t see anything sparkly when you shine a bright light into that fluid, you just need to fix whatever let it leak out. Otherwise signs of metal mean you should probably get a pump too.

I was going to ask this. We get the same"milky" look on hydraulic elevators with air incorporated into the oil.

Are you sure that’s just not aerated fluid, happens all the time when adding to a low system? Go back and check now that it’s sat awhile. As long as you don’t see anything sparkly when you shine a bright light into that fluid, you just need to fix whatever let it leak out. Otherwise signs of metal mean you should probably get a pump too.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

That looks like you have air/water in the system (hence the chocolate milk color). I would flush it either way to not only get the bubbles out but to freshen up the fluid in the system. Now you have two ways to go about it at home, either with the back line off to drain it or sucking it out with a siphon pump/turkey baster. Get a few quarts of P/S fluid then drain and fill the reservoir a few times. Making sure to turn the wheels lock to lock in-between drains. The fluid will start looking better each time. On the last fill or two, I would switch over to P/S with stop leak just to be on the safe time.

Alternatively, you could switch out the P/S fluid for high mileage universal trans fluid. I personally prefer this to the P/S fluid with stop leak as it has seal conditioners that will help "plump" up dry or flattened seals. But the flushing should be done with the cheap shit lol.

It actually wasn't milky anymore- checked it yesterday.

Still a bit nervous to drive this fucker. Need to get it to someone this week...any recommendations?

Well that's good. Power steering failing is not going to make you immobile. It may be a bit of a bitch to turn but you will still be able to make it a to b. When at speed (better than 20 mph) it will turn fairly easily without it. I'ts only the slow, parking lot type turns that will be "hard". It will be like turning the wheel when the engine isn't running.

For all of you that couldn't sleep at night until this was resolved, it ended up being the cooler that was leaking like crazy. I drove it 11 miles to a shop and the reservoir was damn near empty again.

$465 later and she's fixed (I got all new belts put on too).