Political dumpster fire Part III Greg and Kerry Vs CR

zeitgeist57

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's great, I just don't know why you think people should keep moving into disaster prone areas. Makes no sense.

I agree but what about new orleans...when the suggestion to stop dumping money into an area 10-12(I can't remember) below sea level there was an uproar.

I'm really nor trying to start an argument but want to get your feelings on this

I agree but what about new orleans...when the suggestion to stop dumping money into an area 10-12(I can't remember) below sea level there was an uproar.

I'm really nor trying to start an argument but want to get your feelings on this

I don't have an opinion on New Orleans, don't know enough. Throwing good money after bad isn't wise but there's also a difference between forcing people to move from neighborhoods in one of America's oldest and most important (historically) cities, and yuppies who build mcmansions out in the hills because they want a big house and lots of space. I think those people are dumb, but I feel the same way about pretty much everyone who chooses to live outside of 270 because they need 4000 Sq ft and a full acre. I think people would have been better off rebuilding Franklinton immediately after the flood instead of just building northward and letting the area languish, so maybe that applies to New Orleans as well. Or maybe New Orleans is so far gone from environmental damage that it's not worth saving. I dunno.

yuppies who build mcmansions out in the hills because they want a big house and lots of space. I think those people are dumb, but I feel the same way about pretty much everyone who chooses to live outside of 270 because they need 4000 Sq ft and a full acre.

:wtf:

I agree with Greg on McMansions...people can spend their money however they wish, but the fact is it's terrible sustainability. Do you really need that much land when you're not growing food, and still giving away all of your sensitive personal information online (space=privacy LOL)...and you don't use the 4000sqft to house more than 4 people?

This American behavior is magnified in fire zones out west where people are building more and more McMansions.

(Granted, I have 4 cars for 2 drivers, so myself and CR don't represent the standards of sustainability either. :lol:)

...but I feel the same way about pretty much everyone who chooses to live outside of 270 because they need 4000 Sq ft and a full acre.

:lolguy:

I agree with Greg on McMansions...people can spend their money however they wish, but the fact is it's terrible sustainability. Do you really need that much land when you're not growing food, and still giving away all of your sensitive personal information online (space=privacy LOL)...and you don't use the 4000sqft to house more than 4 people?

This American behavior is magnified in fire zones out west where people are building more and more McMansions.

(Granted, I have 4 cars for 2 drivers, so myself and CR don't represent the standards of sustainability either. :lol:)

You called yourself out but I would venture to say many of "us" don't NEED a lot of what we have so it's kind of silly to judge others who have more IMO.

No political party will be a savior.

I don't think a single person here is advocating that any political party is going to be a savior for anything.

However....using that statement as an excuse as to why you shouldn't at least try to fix a system that nearly everyone feels is broken is deeply flawed logic.

If you want to focus on your own life, and let someone else try to address the flaws in the system that's one thing, but don't be surprised if they rig it in their favor (as people in power have done in america since it was first settled). Just do your own thing, sit on the sidelines, and don't pay attention to politics. But you don't do that do you?

Where I can't follow your logic is on these two points:

1) you assume that advocating for addressing problems in a system means not working hard or getting some kind of handout

2) you actively advocate against those trying to advance things that are in your own best interests, and you advocate for those who are working against your own interests.

Tell me how you get from "I can personally overcome a broken system" to "we don't need to fix this obviously broken system"?

I don't think a single person here is advocating that any political party is going to be a savior for anything.

However....using that statement as an excuse as to why you shouldn't at least try to fix a system that nearly everyone feels is broken is deeply flawed logic.

If you want to focus on your own life, and let someone else try to address the flaws in the system that's one thing, but don't be surprised if they rig it in their favor (as people in power have done in america since it was first settled). Just do your own thing, sit on the sidelines, and don't pay attention to politics. But you don't do that do you?

Where I can't follow your logic is on these two points:

1) you assume that advocating for addressing problems in a system means not working hard or getting some kind of handout

2) you actively advocate against those trying to advance things that are in your own best interests, and you advocate for those who are working against your own interests.

Tell me how you get from "I can personally overcome a broken system" to "we don't need to fix this obviously broken system"?

your seeing a conclusion that isn't there. The system will never be perfect no matter what political party is in control and people would be better off spending there time bettering themselves.

I have said this in previous post regarding the advise my grandmother gave my dad when he was young, "son don't wait around for white people to take care of you because it isn't going to happen." Keep in mind they grew in the heart of the segregation era.

your seeing a conclusion that isn't there. The system will never be perfect no matter what political party is in control and people would be better off spending there time bettering themselves.

OK, so why can't people better themselves AND improve things? Why do you set these things up as mutually exclusive opposites when in the real world they can co-exist?

It seems silly to me that you keep presenting that people can't work hard for themselves and work toward improving institutions in society - that they must pick one or that if they choose to work toward improving the systems and institutions they must not be working hard.

Just saying "the system will never be perfect so why try" is just the laziest form of cynicism there is. the point isn't to make "the system" perfect, it is just to make it better. Also it's not really one "system" its a lot of smaller systems that have to serve a diverse group of people, what's wrong with continuing to make progress toward having it serve people better?

I have said this in previous post regarding the advise my grandmother gave my dad when he was young, "son don't wait around for white people to take care of you because it isn't going to happen." Keep in mind they grew in the heart of the segregation era.

Personal philosophy rarely makes good public policy. This is fine advice for you to live by as an individual, but to write public policy out of this is literally nonsense. And I don't mean that as an insult - it is objectively nonsense as there is no way to turn this into a policy on school funding or environmentalism without a truckload of flawed logic and Olympics worthy mental gymnastics to get there. It isn't a solution to any problem, or a method on how to address any problem - it's just an invitation to be judgmental about the laziness of others while justifying a status quo.

Saying we should keep trying to make things better isn't saying you personally should work any less hard than you are able - but I can't seem to separate you from that position, why?

You mean the smog generated from traveling? Take a sailboat made out of gluten free, free range kale.

No, I don't think we should increase taxes on the airline industry in order to support sailboat operators. Why would you even suggest that? You honestly think that would work?

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/trump-denies-working-moscow-real-estate-project-153846323.html

So, as a father, I will have to confront my children when they are caught doing something wrong. The first 5 or so minutes reminds me of a child trying to get out of trouble by fabricating a story on the fly.

Seriously...watch this news feed and tell me that's not what Trump is doing.