Mover recommendations?

Doc1647545523

After 29 years in the same spot, I've accumulated some stuff. :dumb: Now I need to move it from Delaware, Ohio to my new house in the village of Frankfort, about 40 miles south of Columbus. I'm shooting for a move date the first week of May.

I wouldn't mind a company that supplies packers and boxes, but I can also work separately with someone just to haul the furniture and then hire others to pack and unpack boxes.

Any suggestions/recommendations will be appreciated. I'm trying not to spend a fortune, but I realize that I won't get quality work for low-ball prices.

Whatever you do don't use 2 men and a truck moving company. Horrible experience with them. Scheduled to have a move from Cbus > Cleveland. They where supposed to be on location at 7:30AM. I called multiple times from 8-9:15 when I finally got ahold of a "manager" who said their driver cancelled and they would have to do the move another day.

Long story short I ended up having to fire a scrub crew off craigslist the last minute because we had no other date possible to move. The Two men in a Truck company was so not understanding and couldn't be less helpful. They offered no recourse other than we could try another WEEKEND. as in they couldn't even figure out something to Move us the next day (Sunday).

One of the worst experiences of my life besides family members passing, etc.

That's nice of you to say, Paul. But I'm trying to avoid using my friends for free labor.

When I owned a pickup, it seemed as though every weekend a long-lost friend was trying to rekindle the friendship, and, BTW, they were moving soon and could I loan them my truck? :)

That said, if any CR member is unemployed or under-employed and wants to spend some time hauling stuff and making some cash, feel free to PM me. The total move will be happening over a period of a few weeks, with just one or two big moving days, so I can be flexible on the small hauls.

I had no issues with 2 men and a truck when we used them 4 years ago, even showed up during a level 1 snow storm took extra care of the house to not bring in snow.

Jerrod sorry didn't work out, my experience was absolutly amazing. It was gahanna to lewis center.

My mother used Leaders for her move from Tipp City to Westerville, no major issues. They broke a half broken lamp and deducted some from the bill for it. Nice guys and professional.

This was in 2013 so not sure how relevant it is now

We had an excellent experience with 2 Men and a Truck in December when we moved, everyone was quick and very gentle with the stuff we had them move. We ended up tipping them very well because we had such a good experience. Edited by Rally Pat

Thanks, Jerrod. I see that company's trucks on the road a lot and considered calling them. They're off the list now.

I’m gonna echo his comments. Two men and a truck relocated me from the Weirton, WV to Charlotte, NC. They had to cut me a check for damages and “lost items” (stuff their people stole) greater than my move cost them. We could see people setting certain things aside and when we queried about it, we were advised they had to pack a certain way. After that we suspected something was up so we documented everything set aside well. Needless to say, those items didn’t make the trip. In the long run it was a battle to get a payout due to the excessive amount of damage and loss.

Edit:

If I can find the paperwork from my move from Dayton to Pittsburgh I’ll let you know. They were Columbus based and they were great, associated with United van lines.

I’m gonna echo his comments. Two men and a truck relocated me from the Weirton, WV to Charlotte, NC. They had to cut me a check for damages and “lost items” (stuff their people stole) greater than my move cost them. We could see people setting certain things aside and when we queried about it, we were advised they had to pack a certain way. After that we suspected something was up so we documented everything set aside well. Needless to say, those items didn’t make the trip. In the long run it was a battle to get a payout due to the excessive amount of damage and loss.

Edit:

If I can find the paperwork from my move from Dayton to Pittsburgh I’ll let you know. They were Columbus based and they were great, associated with United van lines.

Holy shit you saw them set your nicer things aside then those items didn't make it to your new home?! WOW that's fucked up. So they basically stole it in front of you.

I contacted Outside the Box movers but they had no openings for a month. That speaks to how popular they are.

I plan to go with a local Delaware outfit, Julie's Movers. Julie came herself to talk with me, surveyed the stuff and gave me what I thought was a very fair estimate. She will be there both days of the move and is bringing a packer and three movers. Many of my neighbors have used her and seem satisfied.

I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks for all the input. :)

Will you still be a regular at C and C?

If something pops up unexpectedly that you need moved that fits in a truck with a bed cap, just give me a holler and more than happy to make a trip for you. Plus the bed is waterproof so rain wouldn't slow me down but does limit the height of items I can carry.

I hope to resume all my regular CC&C and CR activities once I'm settled. Instead of being 30 mins from Lennox, I'll be about 60 mins out.

The good news is that I'll be closer than before to the Dayton and Springfield meets.

I appreciate the offer to help move. As it is, I think I have the Delaware to Frankfort transition covered with professional movers. I might take you up on your offer to help with one trip from the Hangout to temporary storage in Waldo if you're available. That move will come later in May.

Holy shit you saw them set your nicer things aside then those items didn't make it to your new home?! WOW that's fucked up. So they basically stole it in front of you.

Yessir. I even called the office to query about this suspicious activity and was advised they often have items labeled as “pack special”. I told them I would be documenting this all and was advised that was fine. The “I told ya so dance” performed afterwards was pretty epic though and since I had this all documented, it pretty much sealed my insurance claim payout.

I appreciate the offer to help move. As it is, I think I have the Delaware to Frankfort transition covered with professional movers. I might take you up on your offer to help with one trip from the Hangout to temporary storage in Waldo if you're available. That move will come later in May.

Sounds good, just shoot me a text (614 620-5050) when you get closer to the time and we can figure it out. if you have larger items, sounds like Clay can take some stuff too.