Backyard issues

HotCarl

So we have a bunch of flooding issues in our backyard. Decades ago our whole area use to be an orchard so I believe that has something to do with it. Our sump pump is constantly working even when it's not raining and there's standing water in the backyard even days after a normal amount of rain which creates a huge mud pit and a giant temptation for our lab's to go for a swim during potty time.

Who should we look to to remedy such an issue? Landscaping companies? Construction companies? My issue is even if someone could come out and level it all out and lay down sod or seed its just going to create a high point for water to be pushed more towards the house.

Has anyone ever ran into similar issues? or done similar work? Was going to text Eric Schmelmer but it's Easter after all, no need to bother someone on a holiday.

Add to all of that, we're getting married in October and really not trying to spend $10,000 on our backyard.

Is there a lower point available to drain to (Creek, ditch, etc..)? If so, you can ditch it out and install drain tiles to the low points. You can go with socked/perforated, but I'd recommend some actual drain grates strategically placed. Much cheaper than a bunch of fill/ excavation, and you aren't just pushing the water elsewhere. (House)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Is there a lower point available to drain to (Creek, ditch, etc..)? If so, you can ditch it out and install drain tiles to the low points. You can go with socked/perforated, but I'd recommend some actual drain grates strategically placed. Much cheaper than a bunch of fill/ excavation, and you aren't just pushing the water elsewhere. (House)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

There really isn't. The closest "drain" is the storm drain in our culdesac. We back up to a park/nature preserve and the area immediately over the fence in the park always has standing water.

One of our neighbors said he found drain tiles under his backyard from the old orchard that he had to dig up and destroy bc it was pushing water towards his house. This was new news to me and sounds like it could be the a source of our issues.

no idea how feasible it is, but are you able to add to from the house down to create a slope that pushes water out the back of the yard?

Not unless I do this:

Move

Seriously though, there's not way to that I can think of to create a low point away from the house and still have a backyard that's not a pond. Considering installing a french drain to the street, after seeing a few youtube videos looks like a lot of work but might solve our problems.

Looked at a dry well but not sure that's really an option.

I rented a mini excavator and dug a 5'x4'x3' hole in my backyard, lined it with landscaping fabric, filled it with river rock, and ran trenches of corrugated piping into it from other points in the yard. It helped, and only cost the amount of the excavator and material mentioned above. It's worth a shot.

I rented a mini excavator and dug a 5'x4'x3' hole in my backyard, lined it with landscaping fabric, filled it with river rock, and ran trenches of corrugated piping into it from other points in the yard. It helped, and only cost the amount of the excavator and material mentioned above. It's worth a shot.

So basically a make-shift drywell. I thought about this, seems like an option so long as there are no utilities under the backyard (I'm 99% sure there aren't) and depending how deep I would need to go.Plus side is I could avoid having to dig a trench to the street and at least then I could add in fill dirt and level the entire backyard since there's basically a giant well underneath of the grass.

I'm going to check for old irrigation tiles from the orchard hopefully thats the issue. If not I'll have to get some price quotes from landscaping companies.

Except you’ve now disturbed the final resting place of a group of Native American shamans. And it’s difficult to factor in the cost of poltergeists especially in today’s rocky economic climate.

...so long as there are no utilities under the backyard (I'm 99% sure there aren't) and depending how deep I would need to go...

I called before I dug.

Except you’ve now disturbed the final resting place of a group of Native American shamans. And it’s difficult to factor in the cost of poltergeists especially in today’s rocky economic climate.

I kind of did the same for my house a few years back. I bought it as a foreclosure and didn't pay as much attention to the lay of the land as I probably should have. Once I got moved it, I noticed the sump pump running a lot which prompted me to start investigating. There wasn't really any standing water in the yard, but there wasn't much grade for it to run away from the house either. Long story, short, whoever (Digger McCray...) set the original grade, didn't build the damn thing high enough. So, I spent $10k to have the front yard sloped away from the house as much as possible. It wasn't much, because the house was nearly on the same plane as the drainage ditch near the road.

It helped quite a bit, but could be better (I'd love to have a natural drain). However, it's as good as its going to get. I can't raise the house up, so it is what it is.

It really depends on what's around you. If you have a farm field anywhere near you, you're probably screwed. I see it all the time out here in the country. People buy a new plot of land some farmer has sold off, plop their new houses right along the edge of it, and their houses sit basically underwater for most of the year due to the watershed coming off the fields. You might be able to do something with your land, but you can't really do shit about adjacent land that's draining onto yours (if that's the case).

So either, look into grade work (not cheap), drainage tile if you have the rise/fall to do it, or possibly like Mensan said, dig a sump in your yard for it to drain into, but you'll probably have to pump it out to divert around your house.

So we have a bunch of flooding issues in our backyard. Decades ago our whole area use to be an orchard so I believe that has something to do with it. Our sump pump is constantly working even when it's not raining and there's standing water in the backyard even days after a normal amount of rain which creates a huge mud pit and a giant temptation for our lab's to go for a swim during potty time.

Who should we look to to remedy such an issue? Landscaping companies? Construction companies? My issue is even if someone could come out and level it all out and lay down sod or seed its just going to create a high point for water to be pushed more towards the house.

Has anyone ever ran into similar issues? or done similar work? Was going to text Eric Schmelmer but it's Easter after all, no need to bother someone on a holiday.

Add to all of that, we're getting married in October and really not trying to spend $10,000 on our backyard.

Do you have city sewer or septic system?

I kind of did the same for my house a few years back. I bought it as a foreclosure and didn't pay as much attention to the lay of the land as I probably should have. Once I got moved it, I noticed the sump pump running a lot which prompted me to start investigating. There wasn't really any standing water in the yard, but there wasn't much grade for it to run away from the house either. Long story, short, whoever (Digger McCray...) set the original grade, didn't build the damn thing high enough. So, I spent $10k to have the front yard sloped away from the house as much as possible. It wasn't much, because the house was nearly on the same plane as the drainage ditch near the road.

It helped quite a bit, but could be better (I'd love to have a natural drain). However, it's as good as its going to get. I can't raise the house up, so it is what it is.

It really depends on what's around you. If you have a farm field anywhere near you, you're probably screwed. I see it all the time out here in the country. People buy a new plot of land some farmer has sold off, plop their new houses right along the edge of it, and their houses sit basically underwater for most of the year due to the watershed coming off the fields. You might be able to do something with your land, but you can't really do shit about adjacent land that's draining onto yours (if that's the case).

So either, look into grade work (not cheap), drainage tile if you have the rise/fall to do it, or possibly like Mensan said, dig a sump in your yard for it to drain into, but you'll probably have to pump it out to divert around your house.

All great suggestions, thanks.

Do you have city sewer or septic system?

Its city sewer. Typical suburbs drainage, house was built in the early 80's I believe.