RVshare ?

zeitgeist57

http://www.rvshare.com

After the recent and untimely death of a fraternity brother, one of my friends is hosting a bash in July at his farm in rural PA to get us all back together for a college reunion. My wife and I are talking about using this opportunity to rent an RV or a trailer to tow behind our Odyssey, so we don't have to tent-camp for 3 nights with the kids. Not gonna lie, I need a shower before going to bed if I'm a mess.

Been looking at RVshare as kind of an "airbnb" for campers. Interesting options that look like fun and are way cheaper than owning my own trailer, but curious if anyone on CR has used this service or rented any sort of RV/campers in the past?

I looked at 1-800-GO-RVing last year when we talked about a family vacation, but the per-mile cost for a Class-C or Class-A can make "roughing it" turn into a $1,000 trip for a week! I'm liking the idea of a lightweight and newer camper for 4 with a head.

I've discussed this with friends several times. Each time we come to the conclusion that unless we can get 6 of us to split the cost it isn't really worth it, too many small fees that really add up especially if you plan on going a good distance.

RVShare is awesome. Me and friends use it for race weekends. We always have them delivered, set up and picked back up for us. We don’t have to lift a finger or leave the track all weekend.

I had friends that used it for the Nebraska OSU game this past year. Find something close to your destination to save on mileage fees, and then you just park it where you want it and use it, then return it with very little miles used. They lucked out and the guy actually delivered it to the campgrounds for them and even helped set it up. This obviously only works for campers, if you are renting the RV Motorhome type then you might want it for the drive.

I had friends that used it for the Nebraska OSU game this past year. Find something close to your destination to save on mileage fees, and then you just park it where you want it and use it, then return it with very little miles used. They lucked out and the guy actually delivered it to the campgrounds for them and even helped set it up. This obviously only works for campers, if you are renting the RV Motorhome type then you might want it for the drive.

Holy shit that's genius: just find trailers near my friend, and have them set it up on his property. :lol:

Holy shit that's genius: just find trailers near my friend, and have them set it up on his property. :lol:

This is exactly what you should do! I have friends that do this for big concerts and OSU games and it is awesome. They do nothing but show up and pack the fridge/coolers and party. :cool:

-Marc

• 2 months later...

Good call, Gerg...I ended up reserving a 2016 Forest River Hemisphere Lite from a guy about 30 miles away from my friend's farm. My family and I drove up Friday afternoon to find the 31' trailer already parked, leveled, sliders extended, and hooked up by the owner who delivered it/picked it up for $80. The nightly cost was $119 or 129, I forget now. I didn't have to fill up water, drain the black tank...just clean up our stuff and left the camper. He picked it up after we left on Sunday.

By far, one of THE BEST EXPERIENCES I've had. RVShare was easy to communicate with the camper owner, took the fees, uploaded a pic of my Drivers' License and only charged a few fees/insurance. But having a guy deliver a more-than-adequate trailer for a weekend of sleeping, cooking, having fun was an amazing experience. I could drive 80+mph back to C'Bus in our Odyssey and not have to deal with a trailer. I'll also say my wife noticed signs of a mouse, but we didn't care since it wasn't our camper. I let the owner know...it's his problem now, not mine. Still a great camping experience.

My wife and kids loved it. We talked about buying a camper or RV in the past but I'm just going to RVShare for the foreseeable future. Why spend so much for a depreciating camper/RV that requires storage, expensive maintenance, etc.... when I can just rent someone elses' newer unit?

Will definitely do it again! Thanks again, CR!

Good call, Gerg...I ended up reserving a 2016 Forest River Hemisphere Lite from a guy about 30 miles away from my friend's farm. My family and I drove up Friday afternoon to find the 31' trailer already parked, leveled, sliders extended, and hooked up by the owner who delivered it/picked it up for $80. The nightly cost was $119 or 129, I forget now. I didn't have to fill up water, drain the black tank...just clean up our stuff and left the camper. He picked it up after we left on Sunday.

By far, one of THE BEST EXPERIENCES I've had. RVShare was easy to communicate with the camper owner, took the fees, uploaded a pic of my Drivers' License and only charged a few fees/insurance. But having a guy deliver a more-than-adequate trailer for a weekend of sleeping, cooking, having fun was an amazing experience. I could drive 80+mph back to C'Bus in our Odyssey and not have to deal with a trailer. I'll also say my wife noticed signs of a mouse, but we didn't care since it wasn't our camper. I let the owner know...it's his problem now, not mine. Still a great camping experience.

My wife and kids loved it. We talked about buying a camper or RV in the past but I'm just going to RVShare for the foreseeable future. Why spend so much for a depreciating camper/RV that requires storage, expensive maintenance, etc.... when I can just rent someone elses' newer unit?

Will definitely do it again! Thanks again, CR!

Neat. I think we'll do this now as well.