Metal roof

Forrest Gump 9

Hello all

It’s that wonderful time of the year again. Over the last winter I’ve found out that our roof is leaking in couple places. So instead of replace with conventional shingles I want to upgrade to the metal roof. Just wondering if anyone here has metal roof and how do you like it? Thank you

I have no personal experience, but I'm in the market for a new roof this fall and I'm hearing if you want metal go with standing seam or skip it.

Any metal roof that uses panhead screws with rubber washers as gaskets to seal against the roofing surface is only as good as the life of those rubber seals. As they age they begin to fail and then leak.. Standing seam doesn't have that issue I guess. I have no personal experience but this makes sense to me.

Standing seam is significantly more costly, so I'm likely going to go back with a 30 yr asphalt shingle when we do ours this fall.

I recommend Another Option Roofing. It's a small, local owned company, the owner is my next door neighbor and sometimes workout partner. Great guy and will absolutely stand behind his work. You can discuss different options with him.

https://www.facebook.com/anotheroptionroofingllc/

Ask for Wayne, the owner: (614) 736-3915

We had a metal roof put in last year and went with Able for a standing seam metal roof and love it. They were the only ones that we talked to that said they could do it on the pitch of our roof; 4/12 at the higher point but only 2/12 on the lower pitch. They had to use a taller standing seam due to the lower pitch; what they call their commercial version. The custom form the panels on site, which was pretty neat to see. From start to finish through a service call (small water leak around the vent stack during an especially heavy rain) they have been great. We did go with a lighter color to keep the solar rejection up, a cream or off white, and with the trees above and around our house it seems like it will need cleaned (at least) yearly to keep it looking nice. It did change the sound of when it rains, and while it might be louder, it's not noticeable enough for me to say it's an issue. Our bedroom is in an old attic so the drywall is right up against the roof, and our bed is right below that. It's not loud enough to be an issue with sleeping. We actually really like the way it sounds.

I can't remember how many squares our house was supposed to be if we went with shingles. The footprint is about 20*40 with large overhangs. We were quoted $5500~$6500 for good shingles. The metal roof was about $15k. We are planning to be in our house for a very long time, so the payoff is there to (hopefully) never have to replace the roof again.

Some of the stamped products do seem like they could be good. A coworker just got his four-square down in German village done with I think slate style ones and it looks great in the pictures he showed me.

While standing seam is more ideal most don't want the extra cost that comes with it. We've been using "Retro-Ease" over existing roofs (as long as it doesn't need torn off or new sheeting) and have had no issues from anyone. This also ads a layer under the metal to help seal while creating a gap between the existing roof and metal. Standard panel screwed down cost is comparable to shingles, standing seam is about double on most roofs.

I have no personal experience, but I'm in the market for a new roof this fall and I'm hearing if you want metal go with standing seam or skip it.

Any metal roof that uses panhead screws with rubber washers as gaskets to seal against the roofing surface is only as good as the life of those rubber seals. As they age they begin to fail and then leak.. Standing seam doesn't have that issue I guess. I have no personal experience but this makes sense to me.

Standing seam is significantly more costly, so I'm likely going to go back with a 30 yr asphalt shingle when we do ours this fall.

Scott if you go asphalt I cannot recommend amigo fernando enough. I think our last one was 18 square, for strip off, install, new vents and trim around a few rotted windows was 4k when everyone else wanted 5400-6200

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

So who do you know? We got lucky that a cousin knows how to do roofing. Went to Manards and after doing 5 measurements to be sure we were correct, ordered with them. We have a 2200sqft ranch that has a few odd angles. The complete roof, screws and everything, cost $4800 delivered. There were some challenges, but easily overcome. We gifted the family crew a few hundred bucks each and we ate very well that day. Saved over $10k doing it this way, but would never ask them to do another one. Made for a long weekend. I'm still buying beers to thank them.