GM G-Body - HVAC upgrade?

zeitgeist57

A good friend of mine inherited a ‘79 or ‘80 Chevy El Camino from his in-laws last year, driving it up from Georgia. It’s his wife’s granddad’s old car, and the family also gave some money to fix it up. We’ve all been busy with family/work stuff, but he and I are finally getting around to tackling a few projects on it now.

Biggest thing is the El Camino’s A/C...factory, but doesn’t work. Combine that with a persistent leak from the cowl vent or Heater box itself, and my recommendation is to rip out the old factory system and start anew.

Has anyone on this board had experience refreshing G-body Heater/defrost/air-conditioning systems? It seems most guys online are making drag cars, with a firewall delete plate. I couldn’t readily find a Vintage Air Kit...any help would be appreciated!

Saw that...older model. I’m surprised Vintage Air hasn’t figured out a G-Body option...they made a million of them.

Budget is under $1500 if possible. The big thing is fixing the water leak as it causes fogging/ice issues. May have to abandon A/C and just use a heater/defroster option.