Discounted shipping for large items?

Aaron

No matter which shipping method you use size matters most when determining price. If the seat is a 2-piece seat the take the rails off, separate the bottom from the base, and fit it in the smallest box you can while still protecting everything. Same thought applies with fixed back shells but less gains to get.

FedEx is typically best of the big shippers for large items, but if you want the absolute best price go Greyhound. You have to take it downtown to the bus station to drop off and they have to pick it up at their closest station but it’ll be hundreds cheaper than the next closest option typically. Just protect the hell out of it because it’s going to be thrown under a bus and loaded/unloaded multiple times. Their tracking sucks too....but it’s cheap so you get what you pay for.

No matter which shipping method you use size matters most when determining price. If the seat is a 2-piece seat the take the rails off, separate the bottom from the base, and fit it in the smallest box you can while still protecting everything. Same thought applies with fixed back shells but less gains to get.

FedEx is typically best of the big shippers for large items, but if you want the absolute best price go Greyhound. You have to take it downtown to the bus station to drop off and they have to pick it up at their closest station but it’ll be hundreds cheaper than the next closest option typically. Just protect the hell out of it because it’s going to be thrown under a bus and loaded/unloaded multiple times. Their tracking sucks too....but it’s cheap so you get what you pay for.

+1 on this, I shipped a whole motorcycle frame this way from philly to here. Was right around $100.

I had to ship about 1500lbs of steel shelving a year and a half ago. We have a FedEx freight account, and they quoted me about $1,750.

The company that was selling them to me said to ask for a special rate where the product is not insured at such a high rate.

Turns out the first quote was for $100k worth of insurance. With about $10k of insurance on the delivery it only cost my $800.

Bikeflights.com

I've shipped an entire bicycle for $100 to CA (little more with $3k in insurance). A bike frameset was like $30 a couple weeks ago. Pack it up, get the dimensions and weight and pop the numbers into their website. Rates are hard to beat.

Edit - didn't see Brandon already mentioned em.