HPtuners school

cstmg8

Who has used HPtuners beginner packages, etc...

Is it worth the $500? Let's say someone fairly strong in mechanic skills but completely new to tuning.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I think you have to ask yourself why it is you want to learn to tune. If you just want to get an understanding of it then just get yourself a book. Anything by Greg Banish is a good read. If you want to make money from it and learn it to the point of it being a business then look into the couple schools out there, like the Tuning School.

Here’s where I’m going to sound a little hypocritical, if you plan on tuning your own car then just save your money and pay a competent tuner. While I feel very confident in tuning gen 3 GM stuff and tweaking most cars, I would not consider myself a tuner. I started down the learning to tune just because my stubborn ass didn’t want to pay someone to do it. After years of learning, many books, and learning many lessons to hard way by breaking shit, I wish I’d have just paid to have it done correctly and left it alone. At this point I am glad I understand it as being a technician it really helps me to understand how everything works, but it was a really expensive and frustrating road.

In short, is $500 worth it? No. What I suggest is reading a book. Do you think you’ll get a good return on this investment?

I have not used HPTuners, I have had my car tuned with it previously. Currently starting another project and using LS-Droid and TunerPro (a much cheaper option), fairly new myself as I just got the cable but have done some tuning through DsmLink previously. I enjoy the challenge so figured give it a whirl but as mentioned more likely to break stuff while learning... Expensive to have someone else do it but then you know it's right, gotta pay to play or take the time to learn and hopefully get lucky.

I think you have to ask yourself why it is you want to learn to tune. If you just want to get an understanding of it then just get yourself a book. Anything by Greg Banish is a good read. If you want to make money from it and learn it to the point of it being a business then look into the couple schools out there, like the Tuning School.

Here’s where I’m going to sound a little hypocritical, if you plan on tuning your own car then just save your money and pay a competent tuner. While I feel very confident in tuning gen 3 GM stuff and tweaking most cars, I would not consider myself a tuner. I started down the learning to tune just because my stubborn ass didn’t want to pay someone to do it. After years of learning, many books, and learning many lessons to hard way by breaking shit, I wish I’d have just paid to have it done correctly and left it alone. At this point I am glad I understand it as being a technician it really helps me to understand how everything works, but it was a really expensive and frustrating road.

In short, is $500 worth it? No. What I suggest is reading a book. Do you think you’ll get a good return on this investment?

Mostly learn, definitely not to make money touching anyone elses obd2 port, possibly tune/tweak a future swap vehicle, but mostly learn.

I'm leaning more towards the Holley Terminator for a swap, but I'd like to be able to tweak things.

Would definitely pay for the truck.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Another thing is if you don't use it very often you start forgetting things. I tuned my car and 3-4 other cars but haven't really messed with it in several years now. My neighbor bought an f body and I started tuning on his....I was amazed at what I had forgotten. It was almost like starting over again. I do think there's enough info out there where you can read online and learn enough to do it yourself without paying $500 for a class if you're just wanting to do your own cars.

Looks like everyone in here already covered it. I was in the same boat as Scott. I started on ls1edit and by the end, I had more money and time wrapped up into that and efilive that I wished I took it somewhere and just had it done. Now if I were to do it again, I’d just pay to have it tuned and be done with it.