The Seoul of the 3 series..

Draco-REX

Earlier this year Dennis Hyundai of Dublin also became Genesis of Dublin. With that, the G70 arrived on our lot. I had heard a little about the G70 before, but after seeing them in person they really got my attention. After work I went home to check out reviews, hoping and praying that they didn't review well because I wasn't in a position to get one. Nope, Motor Trend Car of the Year. Every review I saw loved the car, and most felt the G70 is a better 3 series than the current 3 series.

And so my obsession grew. Last month, I was finally able to get my finances in order. Last week, I drove this home:

48668526377_b48d0b0bd5_b.jpg

A 2019 Genesis G70 3.3t AWD Sport in Victoria Black.

Lets just get this out of the way, shall we?

HYUNDAI LOL

AUTO LOL

KIMCHI LOL

4 DOORS LOL

Feel better? Ok, back to the review:

Why? A few reasons. I miss the CTS-V. It was a beast and was also really comfortable for long trips. The Volt, while perfect for daily driving around town, was a bit uncomfortable for long trips; great drivetrain, I just wish GM put it in a better car. Another reason is that for the past year the Volt was the wife's primary car, leaving me the Evo and BRZ for daily driving duties. I really wanted a quieter, more comfortable car for long trips and daily use. I also wanted something with ALL the toys. The G70 fit the bill in spades.

The Specs:

3.3L Twin-Turbo V6 making 365hp/375tq

8-Speed torque converter transmission, developed by Hyundai.

AWD with a variable torque split from 50F/50R to 10F/90R

Rear mechanical LSD

3,887lb Curb weight

Exterior:

Full Album Here.

Some really like the styling, some find it a bit derivative. Personally, I like it, but I do see elements from other makes here and there. I'm also not a huge fan of how the chin of the front bumper angles upwards. But getting past that, it's a pretty good looking car. It has classic RWD sedan lines and muscular styling with nicely flared fenders. The Sport comes with darkened chrome trim with Copper tones and matching 19" 5-spoke wheels.

Interior:

I can never take good pics on interiors, so here's one from the internet (warning: large):

https://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/jpg/201709/2018-genesis-g70-3.jpg

The Sport trim gets full diamond-stitched seats with either Red of Silver stitching. When I first saw that stitching I was floored. I thought it looked like a Bentley. Funny enough, Genesis grabbed a lot of talent from Europe, including the Head of Design from Bentley. So that wonderful stitched Napa leather is no surprise. Overall, I think the interior looks really nice.

Everything is well laid out and right where you expect it to be. It does have a tacked-on screen for the GPS, but it's not like you won't find that in a Merc or Audi either. The seats are very comfortable and are both heated and ventilated. The steering wheel has extra deep cutouts for your thumbs and the center console is just the right height.

One little bit of genius, in my opinion, is the shift lever. It's a shift by wire system, so the lever only handles R, N, D. Park is actuated by a button. What I find really neat is that the lever has 3 states, 4 positions, but only 2 detents. And yet, it's completely intuitive to use. But while I admire the thought that went into the design, I think they should have just gone straight to a push-button selector like they are doing on the Palisade and the new Sonata.

Technology:

This car has almost everything. It certainly has everything I wanted. Heated and cooled seats, heated steering wheel, HUD, adaptive cruise, Android Auto, and adjustable suspension were on my list of must-haves. But it goes beyond with Active Lane Keeping assist that almost drives the car for you. Auto Hold that keeps the car in place without your foot on the brake. Surround cameras with selectable views is a great bonus. And the list just goes on and on.

Granted, the infotainment system looks the same as what you'll find in a lot of Hyundais, but that's not a big deal for me. It works well, which is the most important thing. Genesis can work on making it more "Bespoke" later.

What's it like to drive?

Very good. Another bit of European talent Genesis poached is Albert Bierman from BMW's M division, and it shows. The G70 is surefooted no matter what I've asked of it. The steering is quick and responsive and the chassis doesn't hesitate. It isn't soft and it doesn't wallow, but it also doesn't beat you up at all. My wife put the level of comfort up there with the CTS-V. I can't wait to take it on the long drive to the coast later this year.

Now, I have a SEETHING hatred for conventional torque converter autos. Every single one I've ever driven has had me screaming at one time or another. Usually when taking off from a stop, where the auto transmission and the engine hold a committee meeting to determine the proper rpm and gear to proceed in. It's idiotic and I don't understand how people put up with it. So I was worried when the only transmission you get with the V6 and/or AWD is a torque-converter auto. But all the reviews had a lot of good things to say about this transmission so I took a G70 for a test drive to see if it was really as good as they say.

It is. I haven't driven a ZF 8-speed, but even if it's better than this one, it can't be by much. Previous to this car my top PRNDL transmissions were, in order: The direct-drive Volt, The S5 DCT, and the Evo's Getrag SST. The transmission in the G70 is on par with Audi's DCT. The shifts are quick and it doesn't hesitate at all; it feels like a dual-clutch. And, miracle of miracles, the transmission knows it should be in 1st gear when leaving from a stop and it just goes like the Volt and S5 do. Also (I haven't tested this yet) supposedly it'll hold a gear in manual mode and bounce off the rev limiter if the car is in Sport mode and the traction control is turned off.

My only gripe is that it doesn't have a Manual mode selection on the shifter so it likes to change back to D under certain conditions. But this is a Luxury car, not a sportscar.

The engine is great. The turbos, though small, are tucked right up against the heads so they spool nearly instantly. Power comes on fast, and the car just leaps forward. And the AWD system just lets the car leave the line like it's in a slingshot. I'm not through break-in yet, so I haven't tested the launch control, but it seems to be pretty good according to the reviews.

Overall, this is a great car. And I think it's going to be too easy to over look it because of the badge, but that would be a disservice for someone looking for a car in this class. It really ticks all the boxes. And that's not even taking into account that it is priced well below the competition when you compare features.

How does it compare to the S5 and CTS-V?

2014 S5: I have to give the nod to the G70's styling, seats, engine, and suspension. The S5's interior had some nicer bits, but not everywhere, so it's kind of a wash between the two.

2013 CTS-V: Nothing can compare to the V's engine, or it's sheer presence on the road. But the G70's interior is FAR better. Ride is similar, but the G70 handles better.

Obviously, the G70's tech is far better than both, but that's the difference of 5+ years.

Again, if a 3 Series, A4, C-Class, or similar is on your short list, you owe it to yourself to check out a G70.

Congrats man! Looks great. I like them. My boss picked up a G80 and loves it. She came from a fully loaded A7 and doesn't miss it. I like the G70 and probably would have worked up a deal on one when I got my Red Sport but they weren't out yet. I've got a little over a year before I make a move but the Genesis line will likely be in the running when I do.

auto lol I'd almost be 5% interested if it came in a manual.

glad you like it, don't think I've seen one of them around yet.

I think hyundai reached a high point when they made a genesis with a manual, brembos, and lsd. shame they didn't put their v8 in it, there's no hope for them now.

auto lol I'd almost be 5% interested if it came in a manual.

glad you like it, don't think I've seen one of them around yet.

I think hyundai reached a high point when they made a genesis with a manual, brembos, and lsd. shame they didn't put their v8 in it, there's no hope for them now.

Yup, G70 manual is only 252hp 2.0T RWD. But then a "Tuner" Luxury car is a bit of an oxymoron.

Not any time soon. Got tons of warranty to go. But there is a piggyback for it. It claims up to 100 awhp, though I'm thinking that requires corn.

that would be quite a bit from a simple JB4. I bumped mine up a mere 3-4psi and it's plenty for a daily. it's the gobs of torque down low added that make it fun. IMO get in touch with Burger and see what they offer in the way of options.

Yup, G70 manual is only 252hp 2.0T RWD. But then a "Tuner" Luxury car is a bit of an oxymoron.

People seem to like tuning those lexus sc300s, and oodi s4s, and rs3s, and the bmuu //m cars, and the porkchas. hell even the cadavrelacs are popular with the dyno queens.

hope it treats you well. probably you'll dump it and move on to something else in a year or three anyways. maybe something with a manual? and less than taxi-cab weight? bmw makes some lightish manual luxury cars now don't they?

hope it treats you well. probably you'll dump it and move on to something else in a year or three anyways. maybe something with a manual? and less than taxi-cab weight? bmw makes some lightish manual luxury cars now don't they?

I admit, that past evidence has shown that I drop cars quickly. But not always by choice. Things change. This is my third attempt at a comfortable car to keep for a while. The Audi was traded when we needed something more practical. Then I tried again with the V and then we bought a house. This time, I'm hoping all the big life changes are behind me and I can keep this car for longer.

To be fair, however, I will look at what the G70 is like in 3-5 years and see if I want to trade up. But If it's not notably better, I may stick with this 2019. Time will tell.

I did consider other makes, including bimmers. But everything of this size is in a similar weight class. All the good sport trims sacrifice ride quality. And the price/convenience of the G70 was a HUGE sell.

As for manual.. I have the BRZ for when I want to row my own.

Was that you I was behind of on Smoky Row around 6:30 today? Set of snow tires in the back sticking up. If so gorgeous car. Great curves.

Yup. That was me. Going to try to get them test fit on the car this weekend and take some pics.

• 4 months later...
Did I just get called a moron? :slap:

But it's okay -- gives me an excuse to post in this thread and ask Draco,

So was Amy not all that you expected?

LOL.

As for the "Amy" situation, I've given up for now. I just have bad luck in that department. I won't go into the details, but every time I get close to my perfect stable, stuff goes sideways. So now it's just the G70 and my new RallyCross car which will have to do double duty for AutoCross events and fun runs.

LOL.

As for the "Amy" situation, I've given up for now. I just have bad luck in that department. I won't go into the details, but every time I get close to my perfect stable, stuff goes sideways. So now it's just the G70 and my new RallyCross car which will have to do double duty for AutoCross events and fun runs.

How are you liking he G70 now that you've had it a while?