GM 3.6L?

xlr8tn

I've heard they're piles. I've read about timing chain issues with them. Is that all years and is there other issues with them? Not that the chain problem isn't enough to keep me from buying one. Just curious what other problems they might have

The early ones had all the chain issues. By 2013 that isn’t much of an issue. They need their oil changes, I’ve seen a few neglected ones have the cam actuators go bad from being starved of oil. The most common issue tends to be leaking purge valves, and they’re easy to do.

I own a 2015 Impala, or course I keep the fluids fresh in it but it’s been a very nice car with 78k on it now. My parents have a 2016 Impala. I’ve worked on many of these and know them well and wouldn’t have bought them if I thought they’d be a money pit.

Even the early ones can be a good buy if they’ve had the chains fixed. The engine is typically mated to the fwd 6 speed which can have issues too. Better parts were used about the same time they got the chains updated. Typically more of an issue in the Traverse/Acadia platform due to hauling more weight.

This is not to be confused with the second generation 3.6 which started production in 2017, however they still use both. Haven’t seen much out of those but it’s early yet. Just a few solenoid issues for the cylinder deactivation, and yea that’s how you can tell, the second gen shuts down 2 cylinders.

Thanks for the info. My wife found an 08 Malibu LTZ for my son and while it's a super nice car I knew I had heard about the 3.6 not being a very good engine so wanted to do my homework before taking the hard pass on it.

Thanks for the info. My wife found an 08 Malibu LTZ for my son and while it's a super nice car I knew I had heard about the 3.6 not being a very good engine so wanted to do my homework before taking the hard pass on it.

skip an 08 malibu, regardless of engine. Then skip any 12 and older 3.6.

Since we're talking about the 3.6 I have an 08 one that I shut down one day, started The next and it jumped time. I replaced the chains and now it's got about 20psi oil pressure on a cold start and as it warms it drops to nothing and I get a sound like the chains are rattling. I haven't had the time to look into it again but since we're on the subject, any guess on the problem?

Since we're talking about the 3.6 I have an 08 one that I shut down one day, started The next and it jumped time. I replaced the chains and now it's got about 20psi oil pressure on a cold start and as it warms it drops to nothing and I get a sound like the chains are rattling. I haven't had the time to look into it again but since we're on the subject, any guess on the problem?

Either the oil pump took a shit, or something gained a bunch of clearance in the engine. Not something I’ve seen quite like that. Seen a number of them get sludged up and not drain the oil back to the pan fast enough starving it for oil, but you didn’t really describe that.