Honda Civic Parts Car

Mallard

So last night there was a high speed chase in my area, in trying to evade the police the guy turned on our neighborhood and smashed into my neighbor's car parked in front of my house. The poor guy had the car for sale, had a couple buyers lined up, and didn't renew his insurance for December. He was selling the car to help pay for his kids stuff and doesnt have to money to replace it.

If anyone is looking for a Civic 4 Door automatic parts car, I can put you in contact with him. I'm ~40 min north of Detroit.

a6c3cbe1e55045435d586ea71f3dda34.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Copper cladding on your 4,000sq-ft McMansion...can't afford a $3,000 car after a police chase totals your DD.

Now THAT'S Pure Michigan.:gabe:

Sorry...had to let a troll thought out before it destroys me. Sucks for your neighbor for sure.

Why is he going through his insurance or rather not going through his cancelled insurance? It was a parked car, even if the other car was stolen he should still file a claim with the other car's insurance company. If it was a police chase then the police will have the information on the other vehicle, just contact them.

Copper cladding on your 4,000sq-ft McMansion...can't afford a $3,000 car after a police chase totals your DD.

Now THAT'S Pure Michigan.:gabe:

Sorry...had to let a troll thought out before it destroys me. Sucks for your neighbor for sure.

Yeah, I wasnt going to go there, but this family has owned their house for 15 years and they have 4 kids. All graduated HS within the last several years, he just paid for his daughter's wedding this summer, and he's trying to help his kids pay for their college (why he was selling this car), so I do feel for the guy.

There are people in the neighborhood that bought their Mcmansion and still haven't put in grass after 5 years, but this guy takes care of his place.

He needs to see if there is a grace period with his insurance company. Unless he called and cancelled they may just be awaiting payment to keep it going. Some companies have a grace period for these instances so it may have been still 'covered'.

That car was worth like 1500 before it was smashed. Not even worth the claim. If he had a car without insurance I’m sure he has a 1k deductible too. Little Timmy may just get made fun of at private school because he didn’t get the new iPad this year.

Good question...he said the cops told him the only thing he could do is sue the driver. Remember, Michigan is a "no-fault" state.

In my experience, the police are rarely anybody to take insurance advice from. Often they don't know anything but because they are in a position of authority they still feel compelled to give an answer.

Let me ask this: if the driver of the car destroyed his fence, you don't think that driver's insurance would cover the damage? No fault usually has a a very limited scope and clear property damage is usually exempt. NY is a no fault state, but I was able to collect 100% for the damage to my car when I got rear-ended and T-boned.

I am not well read on michigan law, and michigan could be one of those states that property damage (including vehicle damage) is not exempt from no fault, but you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Also this primer from the government says he can recover from their ins company:

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/cis_ofis_ip202_25083_7.pdf

If you have an auto accident, no-fault insurance pays for your medical expenses, wage loss benefits, replacement services, and the damage you do to other people’s property

If your car is properly parked and hit by another car, the other driver’s no-fault coverage will pay for the damage to your car.

Show that link to your friend, then have him get the ins info from the police and start the claim.

He needs to see if there is a grace period with his insurance company. Unless he called and cancelled they may just be awaiting payment to keep it going. Some companies have a grace period for these instances so it may have been still 'covered'.

most states give a 30-45 day grace period and will even send you a notice telling you the last date of coverage, so good call on this one.