PC guys need some help...

jerrodh

PC's are like cars. The question to ask first is "What are your goals with the machine?".

AMD is completely curb stomping Intel right now, and likely will for at least another year. I would really lean toward a Ryzen 7 or Ryzen 9 machine for the crushing multithreaded performance and option to upgrade the CPU one last time on AM4 next year when Zen 3/Ryzen 4000 comes out. AMD has kept their promise to keep supporting the AM4 platform through 2020.

Intel on the other hand, since Zen first launched 3 years ago, has been crying in a corner with PTSD from the market being completely turned on it's head and they have stumbled to make their years late 10nm process work. They have resorted to straight up lying in marketing slides and bribing companies to stay relevant. Their new processors, whenever they come, could be really great, but they are likely years away.

Edited by Rally Pat

To the OP question: That looks like a solid build for not a huge pile of cash.

But as Pat says, AMD has been curb stomping Intel with the Ryzen architecture, and it's the second time they've accomplished this (the first being Athlon64 'Hammer' vs. Pentium IV). Then comes this interview with Intel's CEO, and you gotta wonder if they realize the gig's up.

Yeah both look alright. I would still lean toward the Ryzen machine, as you get twice the threads plus the games and Xbox Gamepass.

I'm also not sure what you'd do with 32GB of memory just yet, unless you're running virtual machines (which I actually do a fair bit of to test shit both for work and play... some of the Final Fantasy VII mods I work with are just plain sick :D)

Then comes this interview with Intel's CEO...

I mean, that all seems fair. Big data, simulation during product development across a broad range of products*1, AI, # of chips in devices that are Not personal computers*2 is where the majority of growth is probably going to be. My (very wild) speculation is that if anything the personal CPU market may retract; or possibly somewhat implode if cloud computing really takes off. If that happens, it will also mean more market share for non personal computers. So, it seems like he is trying to change the story internally so they both aren't complacent in the CPU market, as well as trying to grow in those other markets. As the article said, it will also diversify the company if the grow in those other markets, even if the shrink in the CPU market; which should make for a stronger more resilient company.

*1 It's interesting to see this happen from a few different prospective. I work in automotive R&D, and simulation is getting/has gotten pretty serious. This has trickled down from aerospace. But, now it's getting pretty serious in other parts of my life as a consumer. I'm a bit of an audio nerd. Many of the larger speaker makers are openly talking about how the are using simulation to optimize their designs. The anecdotal results are an increasing number of very high value high quality speakers at reasonable prices. This is definitely at the higher end of what I'm calling reasonable. There are more examples at lower price points, but this white paper definitely tells a story about what's happening. https://us.kef.com/pub/media/wysiwyg/documents/ls50/ls50_white_paper.pdf

*2 I have the 'activated' version of the speakers in the white paper above that has onboard DSP (chip) to handle the crossover digitally with time and phase correction rather than in the analog realm. So, these speakers were CAD (FEA, etc) optimized from a physical design standpoint (heavy computer power up front), then they have an active DSP chip in them. Another DSP (chip) solution I've been looking at for a pair of passive speakers I have is something from https://www.minidsp.com/ with https://live.dirac.com/ to do correction at the room level.

I think it's only a short matter of time before these improvements (in value and performance at a specific cost point) have a significant impact on regular consumer household audio e.g. few hundred dollar or less sound bars or even in built TV audio. It's already being used in some of the higher end audio in cars so the effects of that will trickle down to 'regular' cars too.

I'm also not sure what you'd do with 32GB of memory just yet, unless you're running virtual machines (which I actually do a fair bit of to test shit both for work and play... some of the Final Fantasy VII mods I work with are just plain sick :D)

I have 32gb because SQUAD alone I've witnessed consume 14gb.

Before I build ANYONE a computer... I ask two questions

1. What do you plan on doing with the system

2. What is the resolution of your monitor(s) or Are you buying monitors?

When looking at a PC Build, it is always the best choice to go for the "Price to Performance" value. If you only have a pair of 1080p monitors that are 60hz, you are buying a desktop that you will never see the full potential of, because your monitors are going to hold you back in gaming...if you are planning on gaming with that RTX 2070.

Something to keep in mind with the Intel build you posted is the "F" in the processor name. The "F" means there is no integrated graphics and the PC will rely 100% on a dedicated GPU for output. Unlike most Intel CPU, the "F" variant will not output video at all if your GPU shits the bed... its not likely, but just something to keep in mind.

TL;DR - They are both good systems... if you need that much horsepower. If you don't have Ultrawide or high refresh rate monitors, you will never see the full potential of the GPU. "F" variant processors kinda suck if your GPU shits the bed.

Thanks for the input Mike. (didn't know that about the "F") actually. I have a 75hz 27" w/ 1ms response as my primary. But that's going to become my secondary with this build.

Have any good recommendations for something 27-32" for those two builds?

Thanks for the input Mike. (didn't know that about the "F") actually. I have a 75hz 27" w/ 1ms response as my primary. But that's going to become my secondary with this build.

Have any good recommendations for something 27-32" for those two builds?

Sure, I'll toss you a PM with recommendations