Thoughts on a traditional SBC crate motor?

Geeto67

Hey guys,

Quick back story:

years ago my father and I restored a 1957 Vette. December build date, 283 Fuelie, early 4.11 positraction, 3 speed car. The car has been sitting for a while in storage and something happened to it and now the numbers matching engine is no good. Rather then go through the trouble and expense of rebuilding the old 283 block and early fuel injection unit (which isn't that great anyway), Dad and I have decided that we're just going to swap in an old school 350 crate motor and a carb and drive the thing.

Specs:

- We will be keeping the 4.11 rear and 3 speed trans.

- We want the engine to make between 300-325 hp

- we would like a warranty

- 4 bolt mains preferred

- would like to keep it to $4500 and under

Questions:

- good source to buy one from? Are GM Goodwrench engines still a thing?

- better to buy carb to pan or a long block and source my own headers/manifold? trying to do the least amount of work for the least amount of money.

- warranties any good? my father seems hell bent on getting a warranty for an engine he didn't spec thinking we can just pull it out and ship it back but not sure how it actually works.

- any other thoughts? maybe talk me out of a crate mill for something better?

I second the LS swap!

If not find late 90's truck or van with mfi/efi to drop in? Bottom end is a SBC.

If you really want a 350 Im sure you can get one from Jegs/Summit/Jasper/ect.

I've never bought an engine new, always rebuilt them so I cannot comment on the warranty.

It wouldn't be how I'd do it but if that's what he wants its pretty doable. Gonna be the easiest and probably least expensive route to get a "new" engine.

BluePrint engines has 370hp small blocks, pan to filter long blocks for like $4k. I think they carry about the best warranties available. 30 month/50k parts and labor. Not sure the specifics.

That 4.11 and 3 speed is gonna be kinda miserable.

Kerry, I've always had great customer service from Pace performance. In my experience a phone call will also get you a much better price than posted online.

One of the managers, Greg Wass (sp?) Is a G8 guy, so I used to deal with him often. They also own a dealership, so parts are always quick to ship.

Their website lists lots of 350 options, but this one looks cool. HP is lower than you asked but it's fuel injected and turnkey, and I'll bet you could get it close to your price.

https://paceperformance.com/i-23835653-gmp-19355658-cfx-pace-fuel-injected-350-290hp-turnkey-crate-engine-with-retro-style-corvette-package.html

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Jeg’s is one of the biggest GM crate engine resellers on the planet. O’Doyle on here was working there last I checked so I’d definitely check into that. They’ll go the extra mile in regards to warranty, and probably have it in stock.

thanks guys, The eventual goal is to FI the thing, probably with a holley sniper or an edelbrock kit, but that's a year away. Right now I want to get the car running again so dad can drive it. Dad wants to make power tour 2020 with it, and right now the car is in paint and bodywork for the next two months so now is a good time to figure this out.

Every LS engine we looked into starts at $5K and up for a crate. and then there is the $1500 in custom accessory drive to fit the narrow c1 engine bay. Yeah I know I can junkyard pull a 5.3 for like $500 or whatever, but dad's 75 and not in the mood for digging around junkyards anymore and I have too much on my plate to do it. Plus he's writing the checks and wants a warranty and a drop in solution.

the other reason he wants an old school SBC is so we can reuse a lot of the original "dress up parts" on the car like the 9 fin fuelie valve covers and the radio shield on the distributor, plus the accessories.

the car is manual steering, manual drum brakes, and weighs just about 2800lbs wet. the old original 283 made about 300hp and moved the car out just fine so we don't need 400+ something when the brakes aren't gonna keep up.

Pace, Jegs, or Scoggin Dickey will be your best bet for that type of crate engine. Jasper and Blueprint also will have what you need I think since you're not looking for monster power.

I've only worked with Scoggin Dickey on a professional level and they've been great. I know a lot of people go through Pace as well, plus they're based in Ohio so you can go pick the engine up. If you want to save cash hit up O'Doyle on here and see if he can get you a deal at Jegs.

Pace, Jegs, or Scoggin Dickey will be your best bet for that type of crate engine. Jasper and Blueprint also will have what you need I think since you're not looking for monster power.

I've only worked with Scoggin Dickey on a professional level and they've been great. I know a lot of people go through Pace as well, plus they're based in Ohio so you can go pick the engine up. If you want to save cash hit up O'Doyle on here and see if he can get you a deal at Jegs.

Jasper engine have developed a horrible reputation, and alot of shops will not even deal with them anymore. I’d probably shy away.

FYI Jeg’s employees can’t even get the engines cheaper then what the customer pays, when I worked there they had no mark up in them at all. Basically using them to sell all their other parts to bolt on it. Don’t be surprised when this stuff from GM is basically priced at bottom dollar as it is.

Jeg’s is one of the biggest GM crate engine resellers on the planet. O’Doyle on here was working there last I checked so I’d definitely check into that. They’ll go the extra mile in regards to warranty, and probably have it in stock.

I am still here...8 years now lol.

Kerry. I can help if you need anything. Just shoot me a PM and Ill get you my contact info.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Performance/809/12681429K14/10002/-1 is a nice kit that already has the EFI included in the price. We can swap out the basic EFI kit for the one with the pump for $3456.55 pre-tax.

Engine will make 260hp with a 4bbl aluminum intake and a set of headers.

Jasper engine have developed a horrible reputation, and alot of shops will not even deal with them anymore. I’d probably shy away.

FYI Jeg’s employees can’t even get the engines cheaper then what the customer pays, when I worked there they had no mark up in them at all. Basically using them to sell all their other parts to bolt on it. Don’t be surprised when this stuff from GM is basically priced at bottom dollar as it is.

Didn't know that about Jasper, will keep in mind for sure.

Kerry. I can help if you need anything. Just shoot me a PM and Ill get you my contact info.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Performance/809/12681429K14/10002/-1 is a nice kit that already has the EFI included in the price. We can swap out the basic EFI kit for the one with the pump for $3456.55 pre-tax.

Wow...that seems like a great deal for a complete zero-mile engine with EFI.

good to know about the pricing. I am not really looking for someone to cut me a deal so much as someone to steer me in the right direction for the combination that will get the job done. Looking at Jegs' site today and GM performance and blueprint have some nice engines right around the $4K mark

Buddy of mine bought a jasper reman engine in the late 90's for his 3rd gen. It was a total piece of crap, ended up warranting it twice.

That's a really nice kit. I am assuming it also makes 260hp with the FI? That would be perfect if it made 300hp,are there other options like that?

pm sent.

385HP crate LS base engine (5.3)

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hpe-hp97

Edelbrock LS carb intake with timing controller

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-7118?seid=srese1&gclid=CjwKCAiA3OzvBRBXEiwALNKDPzBZK5cEseGcdZKPOKK0sBfrdRmgebKZjBsL7wImQVJ7AY5OxqknYBoCgagQAvD_BwE

Add another $900 for a FiTech kit and you're there. You could save alot of $$ buying a low milage pullout 5.3 and sticking a cam kit in it.