Shocks for my truck?

xlr8tn

You guys always have solid advice so thought I'd ask here.

Going to do shocks on my truck. It's an 06 ram megacab 3500 single rear wheel. Recently did wheels/tires and get a little bit of rub at full lock so thinking about doing a 2" spring spacer and while I'm doing that throwing shocks on it. I could trim the inner fenders a bit and stay stock height which is always an option but kinda leaning away from cutting on this truck like I have my others.

Are bilsteins worth the extra money? I haven't bought shocks in years and used to always just throw Monroe on everything. This truck is heavier than my older stuff and I do tow a 5er with it. Bilsteins get a ton of hype..just curious if it's just hype or if they're actually that much better. What about KYB shocks...decent?

IdeZIY3.jpg

Yeah Billies are worth it.

I have also had luck with the Skyjacker adjustables...can really tell a difference when you crank the knob to firm vs soft.

Anything cheaper seems to not last long. Ive been through a handful of ProComp shocks...never even last 30K....I bet Monroe and the like are similar.

On the flip side, Fox shocks feel just like Billies to me. Not worth the extra coin unless you are talking adjustable coilovers.

Thanks for the input. My gut tells me to just suck it up and get bilsteins which is what I'll do. My cheap side though is always looking to save money haha. I'm also buying a new hitch so every dollar I can save is a good thing. There's a difference though between saving money and going cheap.

Yeah....I'll have it awhile. It's clean and rust free. A trip to ziebart is also planned here soon. Want to keep it as nice as I can which is why I'm gonna level instead of cut the fenders. Probably only do a 2" spacer but I'm also mulling a 1.5". Just need enough so it doesn't rub and right now it just barely rubs at lock.

Yeah....I'll have it awhile. It's clean and rust free. A trip to ziebart is also planned here soon. Want to keep it as nice as I can which is why I'm gonna level instead of cut the fenders. Probably only do a 2" spacer but I'm also mulling a 1.5". Just need enough so it doesn't rub and right now it just barely rubs at lock.

Dont undercoat the frame just oil it quarterly

Dont undercoat the frame just oil it quarterly

I know that's a thing now.....I'd like to see a truck that's done. I have this picture in my head of an oily dirty mess under the truck. Is there a downside to undercoating I'm not aware of? It's relatively cheap to have done. The underside of it now is pretty rust free so I'd like to keep it that way.

I just got the truck last year. The megacab was a big draw for us. We're a family of 5 with my oldest boy being 6'3. The extended cab Duramax just wasn't cutting it anymore. Long trips sucked for the kids crammed in there. I do miss the Duramax still but the room we have now is nice.

Haha....it's not that bad. I will say that whoever ordered this truck new got a manual sliding back glass. Pretty much a waste unless someone is in the back seat to open/close it. We travel to va beach with the 5er every year. Normally we stop in PA to where I keep the camper during the summer but we have driven it straight through. That was always hard on the kids because they were cramped in the extended cab. That's not an issue anymore. They recline the seats and sleep most of the time which is better on me haha

I will put in my $ .02 for KYB. We have used these on everything from street to race applications. We would run these on a 240Z for a 24 hr race, take them off and then used them on a street car afterwards (put new on the race car "just to be safe"). One year I had Monroe offer us a set of there (then) new "race shocks" - after the 24 hr race they held no gas pressure and were just tossed. Bilsteins are great, but if you want to save a little coin, KYB is a good choice.

I know that's a thing now.....I'd like to see a truck that's done. I have this picture in my head of an oily dirty mess under the truck. Is there a downside to undercoating I'm not aware of? It's relatively cheap to have done. The underside of it now is pretty rust free so I'd like to keep it that way.

I just got the truck last year. The megacab was a big draw for us. We're a family of 5 with my oldest boy being 6'3. The extended cab Duramax just wasn't cutting it anymore. Long trips sucked for the kids crammed in there. I do miss the Duramax still but the room we have now is nice.

I have Fluid Filmed mine for the last 6 years or so. Its awesome. It actually keeps it looking newer and the frame more black/painted overall. None of that faded or rusted look. That is even considering the thing gets mud baths a few times per yer offroading. Also keeps bolts and whatnot from seizing up. I cannot recommend it enough!

My good friend just took his F250 up to the Sandusky area to have it done early January (they were booked out a lot). I think it was called Wyandot Rustproofing. It will run just over $200, but after spending $10/can, and doing all the work myself for all these years I see this money spent as a bargain...plus they do a MUCH more thorough job than I can.

Maybe in the spring I will contact a new guy I have seen on Facebook called Freedom Undercoating. This guy drive down as far as Mansfield with a 5th wheel car trailer and just sprays it down on site. Pretty awesome. He'd probably come to Cbus if we could get enough interest. I think hes only $100-150 per.

Zeibart IMO is ok for a NEW vehicle as you wont be covering up any existing rust only for it to fester...yeah the frame will look nice, until you realize its eating it away from the inside. Fluid Film creeps and get where a simple topcoat can not.

I have Fluid Filmed mine for the last 6 years or so. Its awesome. It actually keeps it looking newer and the frame more black/painted overall. None of that faded or rusted look. That is even considering the thing gets mud baths a few times per yer offroading. Also keeps bolts and whatnot from seizing up. I cannot recommend it enough!

My good friend just took his F250 up to the Sandusky area to have it done early January (they were booked out a lot). I think it was called Wyandot Rustproofing. It will run just over $200, but after spending $10/can, and doing all the work myself for all these years I see this money spent as a bargain...plus they do a MUCH more thorough job than I can.

Maybe in the spring I will contact a new guy I have seen on Facebook called Freedom Undercoating. This guy drive down as far as Mansfield with a 5th wheel car trailer and just sprays it down on site. Pretty awesome. He'd probably come to Cbus if we could get enough interest. I think hes only $100-150 per.

Zeibart IMO is ok for a NEW vehicle as you wont be covering up any existing rust only for it to fester...yeah the frame will look nice, until you realize its eating it away from the inside. Fluid Film creeps and get where a simple topcoat can not.

Did some reading on fluid film today....definitely has my interest. Maybe we can look at getting a group together for it. Not sure what time frame I'm looking at though. Probably pretty soon. Not sure I'll wait until spring but who knows...I tend to put shit off haha.

Bilstein shocks are well worth the money

I'll be using bilsteins when I do it. I kinda thought that going in but it never hurts to get as many opinions as possible. Going to let the weather break a bit and I'll get busy. Also cleaning up my slider hitch so I can sell that and get an Andersen. My first haul won't be until memorial weekend so I have some time for that.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't have much to add as my experience is very limited but I had to do all 4 corners recently on my 2011 FX4 Screw (original shocks/struts at 160k) and did monroe in the fromnt and bilstein in the back. (Monroe came as an assembly and was available right then, had KYB assemblies been available then, I would have done KYB in the front).

Either way, i'm happy with the ride and a least on my platform, the bilsteins for the rear really weren't that expensive.

Got my shocks/struts off amazon for cheaper than my buddy who works at a dealership could get them even with their discount.

Don't have much to add as my experience is very limited but I had to do all 4 corners recently on my 2011 FX4 Screw (original shocks/struts at 160k) and did monroe in the fromnt and bilstein in the back. (Monroe came as an assembly and was available right then, had KYB assemblies been available then, I would have done KYB in the front).

Either way, i'm happy with the ride and a least on my platform, the bilsteins for the rear really weren't that expensive.

Got my shocks/struts off amazon for cheaper than my buddy who works at a dealership could get them even with their discount.

I used to be against quickstruts whole heartedly

I've flipped 180*, I've seen a fuckload of trucks lately with rusted/broken front springs shortly after we've done struts and then the customer is pissed.

Anymore I just quote quickstruts, knock off a little labor and its a win win