CoronaVirus

Forrest Gump 9

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Average number of cases in Georgia has been going down, since they reopened: https://rt.live/
You can follow all states reopenings and new case statistics here:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/states-reopen-map-coronavirus.html

Remember that spikes in new cases can lag reopening by up to 2 weeks.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

And spikes in new cases are often caused by ramped up testing, but they never report on that... :lol:

And spikes in new cases are often caused by ramped up testing, but they never report on that... :lol:

Right. There is so much misinformation even withing the good information that we can't even keep your head straight.

Its Fucking Fucked. Period. It is sad to think how many people WON'T be getting their jobs back after enjoying these few weeks/months of fat-cat unemployment checks.

And spikes in new cases are often caused by ramped up testing, but they never report on that... [emoji38]
Yeah, we should just stop testing people. It makes our numbers look bad. /Trump

Keep in mind there will be a lag before cases will start to climb. The testing deal is a chicken or egg thing....the cases are there either way. Testing is really a joke...same way every Sunday/Monday the cases bottom out then climb back up on Friday.

I guess I get some of it and some of it I don't. I get the distrust in the media and what's being reported. It's mostly opinionated bullshit. I get that people need to go to work and make a living. What I don't get is the denial that there's a highly contagious novel virus floating around killing people. Argue that you're willing to die or cause the death of others to go to work but you can't argue the virus isn't there or dangerous. It's already been proven it is.

I get what your saying. Let's try this scenario from deep within my tin foil hat.

Every few years a virus mutates all on it's own that is going to spread around the world and can reach pandemic levels. That's a fact.

However they aren't all gonna be the black death or even Spanish flu. If the media around the world gets bored and starts reporting every case and death we end up with concerned citizens who demand answers from political leadership who in no way are qualified to deal with actual situation's and worry mostly about their own careers (on both sides).

So in the end we have fear driven reactions and collapse the world economy and ruin the lives of millions and put massive debt load on future generations of millions and billions.

I still maintain that I can't believe they actually panicked this bad. I might even get it and die but I'll go to my grave believing the world shouldn't stop just for little ole me.

I get what your saying. Let's try this scenario from deep within my tin foil hat.

Every few years a virus mutates all on it's own that is going to spread around the world and can reach pandemic levels. That's a fact.

However they aren't all gonna be the black death or even Spanish flu. If the media around the world gets bored and starts reporting every case and death we end up with concerned citizens who demand answers from political leadership who in no way are qualified to deal with actual situation's and worry mostly about their own careers (on both sides).

So in the end we have fear driven reactions and collapse the world economy and ruin the lives of millions and put massive debt load on future generations of millions and billions.

I still maintain that I can't believe they actually panicked this bad. I might even get it and die but I'll go to my grave believing the world shouldn't stop just for little ole me.

I don't think they panicked badly. It's highly contagious, it causes a lot of hospitalizations, it kills large numbers of people and in many different ways that we still don't understand, and the numbers only look as good as they do because of lockdowns. This would be a massive disaster without lockdowns occurring. With reopening, the worst may be yet to come.

Don't forget all the progress that WAS made during these shutdowns; several vaccines are in clinical trials, several drugs have been through trials (and at least one has promising results), and PPE availability has improved. We still fall very short on many things, and the response was initially slow, but without this time off to prepare, we'd be much worse off for the second wave (which would have been one continuous surge without closing).

Here's just one example of how contagious it is and how important testing and contact tracing is: https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-05-09/coronavirus-case-cluster-pasadena-birthday-party-mothers-day

Example #2: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6919e6.htm

Also, in South Korea they traced one guy who went out to night clubs who infected over 100.

Edited by Mallard

Let me ask you this. When, in your lifetime, has a virus been the #1 cause of death, for any time period, in the United States?

The answer, unless you're over 102 years old, is April 2020.

And that's WITH a massive, coordinated lockdown and social distancing effort. #1 cause of death. For a solid month. Only time it's ever happened in my 40 years on this planet.

eta: My point is, yes, they can't all be the black death or Spanish flu, but THIS ONE is pretty goddamn bad.

An entire aircraft carrier had a huge infection rate so yeah contagious, but on the same carrier death rate isn't bad. Unless you can find current numbers I found one maybe two deaths in a crew of many thousands.

I've seen where the doctors involved in this are saying as many as 70% of the US population is going to be positive for this at some point in the next few years so I don't think it's a matter of if but when for many of us.

I'm just a grumpy fucker so yeah...

An entire aircraft carrier had a huge infection rate so yeah contagious, but on the same carrier death rate isn't bad. Unless you can find current numbers I found one maybe two deaths in a crew of many thousands.

I've seen where the doctors involved in this are saying as many as 70% of the US population is going to be positive for this at some point in the next few years so I don't think it's a matter of if but when for many of us.

I'm just a grumpy fucker so yeah...

And 99.5% of that 70% will be just fine, but that's still 1.5+ million dead in a relatively short period of time. Like I said, that's unprecedented in our lifetimes.

I get that this isn't the 3-7% killer of all ages we feared when all we had was data coming out of hard hit areas of Iran, Italy, and China, but I don't know what an appropriate amount of alarm is for a once-every-hundred-years scale epidemic. Seems like "a lot" is appropriate, but I dunno.

Regardless, as of Friday pretty much everything is open in Ohio, right? Minus some recreation/entertainment facilities. Personally I'm not in any rush to get out there but for all the protesters and rabble-rousers, we're pretty much back to business as usual just like everyone wanted.

And 99.5% of that 70% will be just fine, but that's still 1.5+ million dead in a relatively short period of time. Like I said, that's unprecedented in our lifetimes.

I get that this isn't the 3-7% killer of all ages we feared when all we had was data coming out of hard hit areas of Iran, Italy, and China, but I don't know what an appropriate amount of alarm is for a once-every-hundred-years scale epidemic. Seems like "a lot" is appropriate, but I dunno.

Regardless, as of Friday pretty much everything is open in Ohio, right? Minus some recreation/entertainment facilities. Personally I'm not in any rush to get out there but for all the protesters and rabble-rousers, we're pretty much back to business as usual just like everyone wanted.

Idk about Ohio, here we're nearly completely shutdown for the summer, best case is they are letting restaurants and hotels operate at 50% capacity which is still going to put most of the economy here out of business. I'm already getting tickets coming through the system to remove PCs etc from businesses here as permanent store closures and nearly everyone is out of a job.

Though for now they are enjoying high pay unemployment which I also don't agree with.

Idk about Ohio, here we're nearly completely shutdown for the summer, best case is they are letting restaurants and hotels operate at 50% capacity which is still going to put most of the economy here out of business. I'm already getting tickets coming through the system to remove PCs etc from businesses here as permanent store closures and nearly everyone is out of a job.

Though for now they are enjoying high pay unemployment which I also don't agree with.