Electric exhaust cutouts

wheezy

The motors like to give out every couple years, but while they work those things take forever to open or close and you have to hold the switch the entire time. No big deal until you see a hidden cop 50ft away and you're in full berserker mode. Also, they'll leak while closed.. doesn't sound great. I'd rather just have a proper exhaust tbh.

I had them on my Camaro at one time before going with true duals on it... They are nice but frankly I appreciated more when I had the sound that I wanted all the time. Also the exhaust dumping under the car meant that whenever they were open I would just smell like exhaust which wasn't too much fun. Also like Brian said, holding the switch and the time it takes to open and close, they aren't really ideal... just get the exhaust you want to begin with.

I had them on my Camaro at one time before going with true duals on it... They are nice but frankly I appreciated more when I had the sound that I wanted all the time. Also the exhaust dumping under the car meant that whenever they were open I would just smell like exhaust which wasn't too much fun. Also like Brian said, holding the switch and the time it takes to open and close, they aren't really ideal... just get the exhaust you want to begin with.

I loved mine because I left the stock exhaust on it and the car was so quiet you couldn't tell it was modded at all. But you hit that switch and it sounded like hell was going to eat your soul.

The motors like to give out every couple years, but while they work those things take forever to open or close and you have to hold the switch the entire time. No big deal until you see a hidden cop 50ft away and you're in full berserker mode. Also, they'll leak while closed.. doesn't sound great. I'd rather just have a proper exhaust tbh.

This. More trouble than they're worth.

I loved mine because I left the stock exhaust on it and the car was so quiet you couldn't tell it was modded at all. But you hit that switch and it sounded like hell was going to eat your soul.

^ this

Absolutely loved mine. Quiet when you want, or loud as fuck when you want. Mine were QTP, never failed for me. Only had to hold the switch for about 3 seconds to open/close all the way. With catless longtubes and open cutouts, the car sounded awesome.

I had QTP's and hated them for all the reasons I listed above. I tore them out and installed noweeds diverters because they shut off the unused path while opening the other, and it takes like one second. Two years have gone by and I wish I would have just got a proper exhaust. The band clamps loosen after a week, leaking and sounding all shitty. I rarely even open them anymore. My stock NPP exhaust is already 2.5", has the flappy thing inside the muffler, and the fuse is pulled to keep it open. It's basically straight-piped and sounds great as-is.

IMAGE_182_1024x1024.jpg?v=1423178394

On my Silverado I had a QTP 4” about 4’ from the turbo. After that was a magnaflow 3 1/2” cat back. I thought it sounded pretty good with it closed. It was tame and you couldn’t really hear t turbo at all. With it open it sounded like a monster and the turbo screamed. You could hear it spool up and down and the blow off was rediculous. I never had any problems with it ever. It picked up 15 hp/20 tq with it open.

Brian. If it loosens up all the time why wouldn’t you just have it welded in.

Brian. If it loosens up all the time why wouldn’t you just have it welded in.

It's on my list.

Ffs We got it already, you don’t like em. Some do.

Don't get me wrong, I love opening them up to scream, but if I could go back I wouldn't do it again.

It's on my list.

Don't get me wrong, I love opening them up to scream, but if I could go back I wouldn't do it again.

I agree, Brian’s car is loud when open and sounds incredible. It also sounds incredible when closed.

Edited by RS69

Part of the issue I had was I couldn’t find an exhaust I really cared for so the stock with cutouts was the simplest option. Nice and quiet until I opened the cutouts. The other issue was probably the rasp of no cats. The only thing that kept that in check was the stock muffler. I actually went through several different catbacks and usually ended up putting the stock with cutouts back on due to the raspy drone. I tried adding cats as well but I never got the right combination.

I just installed an exhaust with vacuum-actuated valves on my G70. They work great and operate quickly. Though they are in a diverter setup though. I don't know what the durability will be like yet, so I can't attest to that, but they are simpler than an electric actuator so I am hopeful they'll last longer. Maybe look into something like that?

49674198042_1285edeb92_b.jpg

49673375478_a4dbabe835_b.jpg

I've also heard of people using wastegates for cut-outs on boosted applications.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I got them installed a few weeks ago and finally the remote shipped the other day so its all set up now. Its super loud with it wide open. Im glad I can close it for cruising around. As long as it lasts Im happy with it. I put it as far back as possible so I dont notice any fumes.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1062&pictureid=9545

Yes I added a punisher skull while I was down there working on it.