Recommendations for affordable trucks and SUVs?

PRD2BDF

Affordable as in 5,000 or less. My Buick is awesome and capable and all that but I just want something to tinker with. Something to build up, improve, or enhance. Plus it would be nice to have a second vehicle just to have.

I don't have a problem buying a high mileage as long as I know it won't cause me problems down the road. That's where I ask you guys. What kind of SUV/Truck that won't have too much problems when they're high mileage but well-kept. I'm aiming for a rust-free vehicle.

I have seen some Explorers (when they switched to uni-body) in the range I want and they look well-kept but are the engines in them good? That kind of advice/recommendation is what I'm looking for.

Another reason is that I would like to use it to tow the pontoon that my family picked up. The Buick is capable of pulling it but I don't want to risk the transmission as well as have it available for my mom to use (her Tahoe is rusty and RWD).

Go buy the nicest 3rd gen 4Runner you can find for 5K and be plenty happy.

You can tinker with it and only add value to it in doing so. If you want to go hit some offroad trails for fun it will do that as well.

Go buy the nicest 3rd gen 4Runner you can find for 5K and be plenty happy.

You can tinker with it and only add value to it in doing so. If you want to go hit some offroad trails for fun it will do that as well.

With half a frame

IMO, unless you’re truly planning on going off-road, don’t feel like you have to get 4WD/AWD. I keep saying it because it amazes me: snow tires on my RWD Silverado and no problems even light off-road for Campouts and winter driving (acceleration, stopping, turning). Even on a boat ramp I’d wager if you’re careful you could get a 2WD truck to launch and pull up your pontoon boat.

Get a regular-cab, stick-shift truck.

4x4 anything under $5k that's not a rusty pile is going to be tough in Ohio. Fleet maintained trucks with some use might be a good option given you're ok with higher mileage.

All that said, this doesn't look bad:

https://columbus.craigslist.org/ctd/d/pataskala-1999-chevy-silverado-ls-4x4/7127270540.html

99 Chebby, 4x4, 4.3L V6. Could tow your pontoon without issue and have decent mileage. Looks really clean, like somebody's grandpa kept it in their garage all its life. That said... it could still be a bit rusty underneath, might need brake lines down the road, etc. etc.

Worth a look maybe. Good luck!

Edit - you'll see a lot of rangers under $5k, but I wouldn't go that route if you're planning to tow anything much, and they all rust pretty quickly in Ohio. Same with the explorer sport-trac stuff. The "good" engine in the explorers is the 4.6 V8, but they're just not a great platform for real truck work. I had a 2011 ranger that I liked a lot, but it was very light duty and pretty limited in terms of capability. Would not have wanted even a small trailer behind it. Stay away from 5.4L Triton Fords! Bout all I've got.

Edited by spankis

IMO, unless you’re truly planning on going off-road, don’t feel like you have to get 4WD/AWD. I keep saying it because it amazes me: snow tires on my RWD Silverado and no problems even light off-road for Campouts and winter driving (acceleration, stopping, turning). Even on a boat ramp I’d wager if you’re careful you could get a 2WD truck to launch and pull up your pontoon boat.

Get a regular-cab, stick-shift truck.

Yep. :thumbup: