A/C Conversion - R12 to R134a?

zeitgeist57

Guys, looking for a kit or shop recommendation to do an A/C retrofit or conversion from R12 to R134a on a 1975 Dodge van with the old-school York compressor. I remember seeing YT vids where you evac the system, replace the service valves, O-rings, and drier and then add R134a and oil?

Van has everything intact and R12 in the system...the sight glass shows some bubbles and the compressor stopped working indicating some leak in the system.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Replacing all the o-rings has been found to be unnecessary. The old mineral oil typically coats them and they are not an issue. It's not a bad idea, but if not leaking and left undisturbed, they should be OK. New 134a service valves are required. New dryer should be installed as the desiccant bag in the old one is likely saturated. Flush the system. Evacuate to AT LEAST 29" of vacuum for 45 minutes. Charge with 134a (and correct weight PAG oil) to 90% of stated charge and temperature test (not duct temp - specific test procedure depending on Orifice tube or Expansion block system) to get to final charge.

As to a "kit" you can purchase the dryer and fittings as individual parts. There are som O-Ring service kits on the market, but likely unnecessary if you aren't opening all the fittings.

Thanks, Craig. I saw this video late last night, may get the R-134a tools from HF as Noebull politely said they're not touching this job.

I hit up Vintage Air, just to understand my options. I'm sure it'll be a $1500 kit but they were very helpful last year when I was fixing my Lincoln.

Thanks, Craig. I saw this video late last night, may get the R-134a tools from HF as Noebull politely said they're not touching this job.

I hit up Vintage Air, just to understand my options. I'm sure it'll be a $1500 kit but they were very helpful last year when I was fixing my Lincoln.

I still have my vacuum pump and gauges if you need a loaner tool program...

Sean has my old leak detector.

• 3 weeks later...
Auto assets pulled R12 from my FD A Few years ago, but they weren’t able to store and re-use it. They just pulled it to a waste container and we’re able to properly dispose of it. If that’s what you’re after you might give them a call.

Auto assets pulled R12 from my FD A Few years ago, but they weren’t able to store and re-use it. They just pulled it to a waste container and we’re able to properly dispose of it. If that’s what you’re after you might give them a call.

Thanks, Chris. Just called them...nice enough, and he did say they aren't taking any more R12. He's not sure of a shop that's able to either.