Rusty 996 Dyno Tune Results

DTM Brian

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nobody ride my bikes.i ride my 996 and you ride yours.i dont need to compare my bikes i chalenge the 106,or 120 bikes,if you guys think this numbers make big diferrent.you just say poor 996 and now you want to ride.

sounds like it's time for a track off!

yota, todd, and rusty can all go at it at the track. heh heh

i dont care about the # i know the bike run the way should be now ,and is faster what i can handle.we see how other bikes look and run when they 10 years old.im not the best rider around and i know better rider with more track time can smoke me on 600.its just funny how people worry more about the engine performance,instead what they can handle.

My bad...it was only 106HP/55FTLBS, on pump gas running a little fat. I can't find the sheet for the U4 map. Not Brian's dyno.

Basically, it was a Corse SS build. Pankl Ti rods, RS Pistons, 1mm over valves, Corse "G" grind cams, Corse rockers and springs, fully ported Corse head (radius valve job), degreed cams, 916 throttle bodies, Arrow Ti Full system, custom mapped power commander.

picture.php?albumid=191&pictureid=3478

Only 106 out of all that work?!:wtf:

Only 106 out of all that work?!:wtf:

That's roughly a 20% improvement over stock, and the motor would last a whole season. I'd say that's pretty impressive.

The 748 starts with approximately 97 HP at the crank. I'm guessing his figure is rwhp. If so' date=' that's an impressive improvement.[/quote']

Exactly.

he got 748 with 996 engine and after all the work, hes # is not much better from my stock so i gues my bike is in good shape if i can pull almost same #

What? The bike had 250cc less displacement than your 996, and made more HP with nearly as much torque. How can you compare that to yours and feel ok with what you're getting?

I'm sure your bike is better now than it was before the tuning, but if you're only getting 104 I still think you have some issues.

That's roughly a 20% improvement over stock, and the motor would last a whole season. I'd say that's pretty impressive.

Regardless if its 20% or 90% the amount of power gained for the money spent/ amount of work was not worth it and for it to only last one season is almost insane. I mean if you want to play the numbers game then yes 20% looks like a lot of improvment but its only 9hp. In comparison to Rustys stock bike on a different dyno with different atmospheric conditions there wasnt much difference in power and we also havent seen your graph on how smooth the delivery was, any bike can be tuned to full kill all the time and not be really safe on the AF side.

The point of this thread isnt how much HP he made but how much rideability he gained, the graph is smooth and all the throttle positions were tuned for better throttle response and smoother power delivery..... not a numbers pissing contest.

Edited by Casper
fixed quote

Regardless if its 20% or 90% the amount of power gained for the money spent/ amount of work was not worth it and for it to only last one season is almost insane. I mean if you want to play the numbers game then yes 20% looks like a lot of improvment but its only 9hp. In comparison to Rustys stock bike on a different dyno with different atmospheric conditions there wasnt much difference in power and we also havent seen your graph on how smooth the delivery was, any bike can be tuned to full kill all the time and not be really safe on the AF side.

The point of this thread isnt how much HP he made but how much rideability he gained, the graph is smooth and all the throttle positions were tuned for better throttle response and smoother power delivery..... not a numbers pissing contest.

Woah dude....step away from the crack pipe.

This was a 748cc v-twin motor putting out over 20 RWHP than a stock motor, and you're not impressed? WTF? It also put out more HP than a bike with 33% MORE displacement. What would it take for you to add 20-25% more to your bike? Would it last a full roadrace season? When I say it "would last a whole season" doesnt mean that it blows up the last race of the year. Typical ducati maintenance was needed at the end of each season...valve adj. etc.

I've got some more news for ya, punkin - this was a roadrace bike, not a drag bike. Nice power delivery throughout the range - not just on top.

I didn't post the numbers to make this a pissing contest. I only posted it to show that at 104 his bike isn't making what it could be making. Fucks sake, it isn't even making what it SHOULD make. Brian may well have done a fine job tuning it and it may well be more rideable, but that doesn't mean its right. THAT's all I'm saying.

Edited by Casper
fixed quote

Wowzers!!

The stock HP on a 996 is about 112' date=' per Ducati. Rusty's bike is making 104 at the rear wheel with a PCIII and some slip ons. I'd say he's prolly right on target considering she's about a decade old and has minimal performance modifications. The numbers look ok to me and Brian's dyno sheet looks great.

IMAO, the HP numbers should be higher but they are matching Ducatis specs. Who am I to argue? The fact that my bike, which is rougly 250cc smaller, is making 95 HP in comparison is a bit interesting. Of course, both bikes were dynoed on different machines and by different tuners.[/quote']

To be under the spec with slip-on's and a custom map is ridiculous. Period. He should have picked up something. How many miles are on Rusty's bike? How long ago was the last valve adjustment?

It would be interesting to know what other bikes were making on Brian's dyno to get an idea if his reads low or high as compared to others.

Ouch... no can do. Jeff and I haven't spoken in almost 2 years. We had a bit of a misunderstanding that decided to turn ugly. Needless to say I don't work for him anymore. I haven't stepped inside that shop in ages.

On a more pleasant note' date=' Eric built the hell out of Jeff's 999S race bike and it made approximately 150 HP at the rear wheel. That's fairly impressive for that powerplant. It's seen some hard track miles. I think it did a full tilt run right into the tire wall at Nelson Ledges. [/quote']

Jeff's an interesting guy. I've had my issues with him in the past (long time ago) but I still don't see much of him even though I'm back in the area.

A 999 with 150 at the tire - by Eric? THAT I would have to see. Anyway, we beat the shit out of that bike in 2005 with a ragged out 2001 GSX-R1000. Personally, I wouldn't race anything that guy had his fingers on, but that's just me.

So I have a question.

Lets take a look at what RPM each bike makes peak power. Rustys bike made peak hp at 8700 rpm's.

Chris Bowman's 600 rr made 109 rwhp. However this was done at 13,200 rpm's.

I would be curious to know at what rpm the smaller ducati made its peak hp.

I like making the comparsion of the say a gsxr 600 and a 1300 haybusa. The busa is more then double the displacement of 600. However the busa does not make anyone near twice the power in stock form.

I would be curious to know at what rpm the smaller ducati made its peak hp.

It would depend whether it was a 4 valve or two valve motor. ALL super bikes are 4 valve i.e. of the more common ones 748, 848, 916, 996, 998, 1098, 1198.

From the earlier superbikes, 748, 916, 996, I dont think they really make much power after 9500 rpm - stock that is.