Gunsmiths

Richard Cranium

I've been having some light primer strikes lately with my HK USP 9mm. I've had it since 1996 and it's been flawless until lately. I had intentions on shipping it back to HK, but I'm finding that the shipping costs and rules are pretty outrageous since I cannot ship it USPS. If I'm going to spent north of $100 to ship it to HK I might as well see if I can support a local gunsmith. Anyone have any recommendations?

I'd swap out the recoil spring before I'd worry about sending it anywhere. They do wear out over time.

If you can field strip it, you can change a recoil spring. This is assuming HK poly guns are built like most other poly guns.

Edit: A Quick look on gunsprings.com, recoil spring is $7.xx, hammer spring is $4.xx. Its probably the hammer spring but I'd just replace both.

never had to warranty an HK but heard they can be dickish. in my experience manufacturers will pay overnight shipping both ways on warranty work, from my door to my door. Win!

hammer spring would be my bet too, unless it's so gummed up with old dried lube it's sticking.

Talk to Mojoe. :nod:

Thanks for the shoutout, Jesse. I'm just getting back from 2 weeks vacation, so just seeing this now. I think RedRocket hit it. It's likely one of those springs.

While I am not a Gun Smith, it is a tentative plan to go to school for it when I retire in 2 years. I just got the last of my tools in that I have been putting together for the school. At this point, I'd say I "advise and help". I'm not qualified to fix.

Guess I should give an update. I've been bouncing around a bunch of different ideas in my head. The gun still shoots, so I've been continuing to shoot our club steel matches with it. I decided to more of a deep cleaning than I normally do. Without going beyond field stripping it I did clean the ever living shit out of it. In about 150 rounds I only had 1 light strike, and it fired on the second pull.

If I'm going to sink money into work I may have it upgraded to the match trigger or the LEM trigger at the same time. Both of those kits replace the same springs we're already talking about.