Re-chrome bumpers?

zeitgeist57

Going over my older cars, and looking at longer term projects, I’d like to re-chrome the front bumper of my 1975 Dodge RV, and the front/rear bumpers on my 1979 Lincoln. Both sets are pitted and starting to rust.

Are there any local shops still chroming? If not, who should I contact? I know the old-school process involves some pretty nasty chemicals so it’s not a common process anymore. Any alternatives I should consider for refinishing?

Have you looked into the chrome powder coating? It's not quite as polished, but durable and cheaper. Unfortunately, when I looked into chroming, it'd be cheaper to buy new bumpers.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Have you looked into the chrome powder coating? It's not quite as polished, but durable and cheaper. Unfortunately, when I looked into chroming, it'd be cheaper to buy new bumpers.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks, Shaun! I'll hit up Hoblick and see if he can get a close-to-chrome powdercoat finish. Good idea.

Yeah, I couldn't readily find new bumpers for the Lincoln. They are straight enough that I think they'd be great candidates for refinishing.

I went through Wheel Medic and they used PVD chrome on my Firehawk wheels. I have 2 sets of wheels and the original set of chrome wheels were pitted and pealing. The other set was painted. Wheel Medic would not use the Chrome set but did use the painted set. The end result is great. But I do not know if PVD would be an option since you have to strip the old chrome off.

CalChrome advertises a lot at car shows but I have never used them.

https://www.google.com/search?q=calchrome&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

There is also a place in eastern Ohio near Cadiz I think but I forget the name. I called anyone and everyone I could find when trying to get my wheels redone. Good luck.