2nd Gen Vipers

integranator

Hello all, long time member/lurker--- but never post.

As Viper prices start to decline, I've found myself looking more and more at them. I've heard no real issues in the engines or drivetrain--- but have never rode in one. Anyone else start to look into these as the 2nd gens are getting into the low 40's for a GTS or mid 30's for a RT/10? They seem like a lot of car for the dollar, even with the 90's dodge neon interior.

He has a second gen GTS. They're not luxurious nor anywhere near as cozy and forgiving as most cars on the road today; They're very industrial-feeling and the car in general feels like it wants to kill you. After taking a spin in his I can admittedly say I don't have the balls to own one.

The value has appreciated since the final run was announced in 2016. I bought mine that summer when they had completely bottomed out. Not that they're not a lot of car for the money.

Wiring and vacuum seem to be common problems. The gen 1/2 had cork gaskets all over the engine that need replaced if you’re buying a low mile sitter. If it’s been driven they’re probably updated. Check the wiring loom from the door into the car for cracked wiring. Other than that, they’re pretty indestructible.

Take Brians’ opinion with a half grain of salt. My car has a big cam, polyurethane suspension, coil-overs and slicks. A stock car doesn’t feel quite as evil.

If you're set on a g2 keep in mind that from 96-99 they had forged motors capable of stupid HP if that's your bag. 2k was the bastard child because it lacked the forged motor and ABS. Finally, 01-02 received ABS making them a lot more friendly for tracking.

Thanks for the insight. I had a 550+whp 2400lb gutted tin can integra when I was a young'in. Now all I want is something to cruise around with and keep the miles low on. Looked into C6 Z06's, but something about the 2nd gens just reminds me of growing up.

Thanks for the insight. I had a 550+whp 2400lb gutted tin can integra when I was a young'in. Now all I want is something to cruise around with and keep the miles low on. Looked into C6 Z06's, but something about the 2nd gens just reminds me of growing up.

I think you would be perfectly pleased using one for those purposes.

Other than that, they’re pretty indestructible.

Yours has been down like half the time you've owned it, including right now, but okay Derry.

Take Brians’ opinion with a half grain of salt. My car has a big cam, polyurethane suspension, coil-overs and slicks. A stock car doesn’t feel quite as evil.

Any 20 year-old Viper is going to feel like a high-powered farm tractor relative to any modern'ish car, C6Z included.

Yours has been down like half the time you've owned it, including right now, but okay Derry.

Any 20 year-old Viper is going to feel like a high-powered farm tractor relative to any modern'ish car, C6Z included.

It’s not a fair assessment to say my car is “down” for upgrading things. I built my own polyurethane bushing kit from scratch. Rebuilt the rack and pinion, upgraded the cooling system, changed the motor bearings and cam. Yes I just killed my 20 year old differential from 4 years of track and autocross. I have Grenaded an axle and killed 4 wheel bearings too. I consider those things tax for driving hard with almost 600hp.

Let’s try and keep this thread off shit river.

I knew you'd geeto me on that. This thread is just a big fart in the wind anyway.

You need a good geetoading. You’re an exemplary example of an enthusiast vs track addict.

Brian “stupid car broke another wheel bearing”.

Me *shrug* -2.5 camber and 345s will do that.

Phag

I had a '99 Gen2 back in the day and they are much nicer than the Gen1 Vipers all around. They ride better, the dash isn't cheap plastic, they have a/c etc.

If you are looking at a Gen2 get an 01+ as they have ABS. Mine did not and I forgot about that in a crisis. No more Viper.

I knew you'd geeto me on that...

You need a good geetoading....

I'm just pleased that I am now a verb. :lolguy:

Serious question though - are the prices going down? Not that I'm in a position to buy....well...anything, but I do daydream track the sales and they seem to have gone up and then stabilized during the pandemic. Miller, what's your thoughts - are GTS prices going down?

When I rode in Millers it was awesome. The only downside was the interior. Its dated. Also it had more squeaks, rattles, and wind noise them my 98 XJ. Not sure if they are all that way or if it was just millers but for a fun car/cruiser that would drive me batty.

When I rode in Millers it was awesome. The only downside was the interior. Its dated. Also it had more squeaks, rattles, and wind noise them my 98 XJ. Not sure if they are all that way or if it was just millers but for a fun car/cruiser that would drive me batty.

My stanchion seal on the passenger side was damaged when my car was in paint. That's what you were hearing/feeling.

Miller, what's your thoughts - are GTS prices going down?

They have been going up since 2017 and stabilized like you mentioned. You were able to buy a GTS in the 30's back then. Now they can be all over the place, 40-60k.

I know there are some RT/10s and GTS's in the $30s, but a quick pull-up on AutoTempest shows 1g/2g pricing similar to the 3g 2002-2008 models (high-$30s/low-$40s) for what looks to be a superior platform.

Is the 3g not as fun to drive/maintain as the older, simpler 2g? I'm a convertible fan and it seems like the 8.3L and more modern, Mercedes-influenced components would be a better car for the same price.

I know there are some RT/10s and GTS's in the $30s, but a quick pull-up on AutoTempest shows 1g/2g pricing similar to the 3g 2002-2008 models (high-$30s/low-$40s) for what looks to be a superior platform.

Is the 3g not as fun to drive/maintain as the older, simpler 2g? I'm a convertible fan and it seems like the 8.3L and more modern, Mercedes-influenced components would be a better car for the same price.

3gs are a way better car all around. However, most of these Viper buyers I meet locally are a little bit older gentleman and they're looking for that nostalgia they remember in the g1/g2. I bought mine because I wanted something challenging to drive fast and like some, I had a poster of a RT/10 and GTS in my room growing up.

If I had it to do all over again I would purchase a g4 coupe.

I had an 2001 Gts for a couple years, and now into a 1999 Gts for the past several years. Whoever says that they are always broken down is full of sheet. In six years ownership between the two, I've only needed to replace the power steering pump. Replaced the pulley with it since they are also known to go since they are factory plastic. Like any other car they have their little annoyances of a 20 year old car. I haven't noticed the lack of abs now in the 99', but I've driven cars without it before. I've been thinking about adding a newer Acr to go along with it.

Prices have definately gone up over the past couple years on the Gts model. But you never really know what they actually sell for.

I love Miller’s viper. He got it at the right time(price point) and it did need some work. Overall, the work being done on it like he shared is because it driven like it was meant to be driven(track) and some upgrades.

I was going to post something, but this is better than anything I could have posted lol.

It really depends on your goals, but you have to really WANT a viper, if you are going to buy a cheap viper to drive.

I love Miller’s viper. He got it at the right time(price point) and it did need some work. Overall, the work being done on it like he shared is because it driven like it was meant to be driven(track) and some upgrades.

Thanks Rick. :thumbup:

New LSD and straight pipes are on. Loud and proud.