3 on the tree manual

Sully

I've been looking for a square body for a while, but most are beat or people are wanting way too much for them. I ran across an 87 regular cab long bed that appears to be in really good shape, really low miles, and with a fair price, but it has a V6 with a 3 on the tree manual. I've driven plenty of manual vehicles, but not one like this. What are you thoughts on driving one? I wouldn't drive it every single day. I'd use it more for hauling (supplies from the hardware store), maybe light towing, etc.

I'd also like to point out that while I'd rather have a V8 motor, with this one having such low miles, I'd probably drive it as-is for a while until I could get a motor to swap. If at some point I were to do that, how difficult would it be to change the setup to either an automatic, or manual floor shifter? Or would that be an over-daunting and too costly of a project?

Ive never driven one either. Ive seen them being driven and I cant say that it looks like much fun. If it was only being driven as a utility vehicle its probably ok...

Why a squarebody truck if you just want it for hauling and towing? Especially for what they go for now for a clean example?

I think you can auto swap one without much trouble. I think you can just keep the pedal assy and find an auto column. You could 5.3/4l60e swap it pretty cheaply.

I had an '85 Chevy C10 with a 4.3L V6 and 3-on-the-tree, and '82 Ford F100 that Otis Nice bought. Both of them I converted to 3-speed manuals on the floor. It's been YEARS since I did both trucks but it was a fun project...not the worst thanks to these full-size trucks being pretty open to work on.

However, I just looked on eBay and what used to be a $50-100 kit through Hurst or Mr. Gasket is now a $250-300 kit!!!!! F that noise...I'd rather wait until a factory floor-shift manual comes up for sale.

I had a 3 on the tree dodge dart, and drove a 3 on the tree 80's ford van for a job I had 20 years ago.

If you are used to driving stick then it will take about 2 hours of driving it before you get the hang of it. I personally think it's fun and have sometimes wondered why there was no 4 on the tree (There actually was but they are super rare). the trans is basically the same 3 speed saginaw manual GM was using from 1966-1987 (the 68-69's had an electric overdrive to make them 4 speeds) and for being a light duty trans is pretty robust. Because of the long shifter linkages it can get a little sloppy with age. I think the most fun is when passengers who have never see one get in the car and you start shifting and they freak out because they think you are constantly slamming the auto into park.

As for the engine swap - I believe the only v6 in the squarebody was the 4.3 v6 which is 3/4 of a 350 chevy anyway, so the engine swap part of it is as easy as getting squarebody v8 mounts and dropping the engine in.

As far as the trans is concerned - GM put this trans behind small block v8s and it can handle a decent amount of power. Circle track racers used to love them because they could use 1st as starter gear and then just rock back and forth from 2-3 like a hi/lo shifter. If you want to go to the floor shift, Hurst, Mr Gasket, etc...all made (and still make) floor shifter conversions for the 3 speed, installation is as easy as cutting a hole in the floor for the floor shifter. They should use the same crossmember as the 4 speed muncies so if you are swapping to one of those old transmissions you may need a new mount but not a crossmember. I don't know the interchange between 5 speed manuals and 4 speeds, but I believe the 200R4 auto used the same crossmember as the the TH350/400 and 3/4 speed manuals - no idea about the 700r4. Personally if it is a stick car and you aren't looking to make 500hp with it, I would keep the 3 speed and look for a working electric overdrive from one of 68-69 models - this way the truck looks original but you can run decent rear gears with the overdrive.

I'd also like to point out that while I'd rather have a V8 motor, with this one having such low miles, I'd probably drive it as-is for a while until I could get a motor to swap. If at some point I were to do that, how difficult would it be to change the setup to either an automatic, or manual floor shifter? Or would that be an over-daunting and too costly of a project?

Having dealt with this concern with both V6 and I6 trucks and thinking about a "simple" V8 engine/trans swap...if you go any newer with a swap kit (which you'd have to in order to get a 4-, 5-, or 6-speed manual) you'll likely have to swap out the Z-linkage for clutch engagement to a hydraulic throw-out bearing.

It ends up being very doable, but it's more cost/effort than you'd think and I ended up just sticking with the 6-cylinders as these were casual trucks....nothing I was going to race or be competitive in motorsports.

I would like to have one.

For reference, I have daily driven stick shift vehicles for years, and greatly enjoy it. My dad has a '57 Chevrolet pickup with a 3 on the tree, as well as a '66 with a 3 on the tree. The first time I drove one, I picked it up quick and easily got used to it. I think it would be really cool to have one in any old pickup.

I can't think of any reason why I wouldn't want one in a squarebody, as long as I didn't plan on going fast.

Three on the tree - the modern day anti-theft device!!!

Drove an old Ford shop van with this set up. Long throws and a bit sloppy, but with a bit of practice, it can be shifted (relatively) quickly.

Get it, drive it, have a great conversation piece.

Other than maintenance, what's the problem with a column shifter?

The two I had, the bushings in the shifter linkage were worn out. Even squirting grease didn't help with the binding. The Chevy was super vague as well.

At the time, for $50 and a Saturday's worth of cutting a hole in the floor and bolting the 3-speed shifter to the back of the trans, it made a 10x improvement on shifting and whatever fun you get out of driving these old steel trucks. Plus it just makes a bench-seat, rubber floormat base truck look a lot more sporty (a big deal when you're a hundredaire trying to spruce up a $500-900 tee-ruck)

Why a squarebody truck if you just want it for hauling and towing? Especially for what they go for now for a clean example?

I'd drive it other times as well, not just for those specific reasons and not daily either. I really love the body style and they're extremely easy to work on. I just hate modern vehicles with how cramped everything is to work on.

Are you sure it's a V6 and not an inline 6? Inline 6, keep it. Honestly, why not just buy a V8 truck to begin with?

Description says V6, so that's all I can go by right now.

Due to price and my budget. It's insane that just because it's a V8, the price jumps a few grand. Dumb.

I really love the body style and they're extremely easy to work on. I just hate modern vehicles with how cramped everything is to work on.

My '01 Silverado V6 has been a perfect basic truck for me: easy to work on, parts are ridiculously cheap, and modern enough to have ABS, airbags, modern front suspension/steering while still hauling truck-stuff. Plenty of HP/TQ for around-town duties.

V8 is great, but if you have a good-condition 6-cylinder I'd rock it all day long.

I think column shift is cool, but I grew up loving all of the old cars from the '50s and stuff. The older cars are missing synchros though, so it wasn't like driving a newer car. Not sure about the one you're looking at. I'd rock it as is, honestly. look at V8 options if you blow the 6 cyl ( near impossible if it's inline LOL).

blah blah blah...a $500-900 tee-ruck

:wtf: YOU RIPPED ME OFF!!!

Kidding. I loved that truck.

Anyway, this one was 3 on the tree and a friggin' blast to cruise around in. Miss that truck...but it's helped fund a lot of the Fam '52 which is almost done so it makes it easier to no longer have her in the fam.