WWCRD; off-road and towing light vehicle?

Trouble Maker

If you are considering an FJ, why not just look at a Pentastar (2012+) JKU Wrangler?

The FJ and Wrangler comparison is reasonable, but already the FJ is maybe too far down the path of a 1 trick pony. I was just putting it out there as another idea to see what the hive mind though. For me the Wrangler's are even further down the path of does only 1 thing really well. Maybe if I were looking for off-road focused vehicle, a 2 door would be cool. 4 doors seem huge, bigger than what I feel a Wrangler should be. They are about the size of the Grand Cherokee or 4 runner. But with less towing capacity and what seems like less usable cargo room.

Edited by Trouble Maker

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The FJ and Wrangler comparison is reasonable, but already the FJ is maybe too far down the path of a 1 trick pony. I was just putting it out there as another idea to see what the hive mind though. For me the Wrangler's are even further down the path of does only 1 thing really well. Maybe if I were looking for off-road focused vehicle, a 2 door would be cool. 4 doors seem huge, bigger than what I feel a Wrangler should be. They are about the size of the Grand Cherokee or 4 runner. But with less towing capacity and what seems like less usable cargo room.

FJ is more comfy than a wrangler, but it ain't going to be the marshmallow cloud of heated and cooled seats that a GC would have. I don't know that it is a 1 trick pony, so much as a really capable SUV. The demo's I drove were a lot more like my '99 2 door Tahoe sport than like a wrangler. A decent amount of comfort layered on top of a solid platform, but not a luxury car like a GC.

Speaking of Luxury, have you looked at a Lexus LX? It is the Lexus version of the Toyota Land Cruiser, that oddly sometimes sells for less than the actual land cruiser despite being mechanically the same truck with way more luxury options. Tow rating is 6500lbs, so not bad. $20K should put you solidly in a 10 year old truck with just under 100K miles so about the same as an FJ :D

FJ is more comfy than a wrangler, but it ain't going to be the marshmallow cloud of heated and cooled seats that a GC would have. I don't know that it is a 1 trick pony, so much as a really capable SUV. The demo's I drove were a lot more like my '99 2 door Tahoe sport than like a wrangler. A decent amount of comfort layered on top of a solid platform, but not a luxury car like a GC.

Speaking of Luxury, have you looked at a Lexus LX? It is the Lexus version of the Toyota Land Cruiser, that oddly sometimes sells for less than the actual land cruiser despite being mechanically the same truck with way more luxury options. Tow rating is 6500lbs, so not bad. $20K should put you solidly in a 10 year old truck with just under 100K miles so about the same as an FJ :D

Lexus GX or LX would be awesome to get into a Land Cruiser. But the prices are too damn high. $24k would get me roughly into a 2016 Grand Cherokee, 2013 GX or 2009 LX.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/price-trends/Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-d490

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/price-trends/Lexus-GX-d2063

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/price-trends/Lexus-LX-570-d1518

Sure, they all other things equal including year and mileage they are probably nicer and more reliable than the Grand Cherokee. But price being equal they are older and the Cherokee seems like the better deal on the surface to me.

Taco.

Taco

Through this process, talking it over with people including this thread, thinking about it, I'm pretty much set on an SUV for the space inside. The reality is most of the time I'll be throwing something like skis, camping gear, a bike in the back.

Through this process, talking it over with people including this thread, thinking about it, I'm pretty much set on an SUV for the space inside. The reality is most of the time I'll be throwing something like skis, camping gear, a bike in the back.
In that case I'd just be patient for a good 4runner deal. Add airbags for $100 to assist towing.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Any thoughts on the diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee? Prices for used ones I'm looking at seem similar enough to the V8, which seems like a no-brainier to pick the diesel. But I've never had a diesel vehicle before, and don't know much about this one, so I thought I would ask here.

• 3 weeks later...