WWCRD? Tow-behind for RV

zeitgeist57

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a small car is going to be easier to find, but when you toss in the manual requirement you pretty much rule out 95% of the cars today. People laugh that I never lock my Jeep until they see it’s a stick, then they understand.

Yup. I only need one vehicle to work for me. Good thing I’ve got time on my side;)

There’s tons of trackers and samurais out here in Colorado. You could make a trip out and go home with a rust free decent one behind you. If you wanted I could check a couple out for you before you head out.

That's not the worst idea I've heard. That's why I got my Avalanche from Arizona.

There’s tons of trackers and samurais out here in Colorado. You could make a trip out and go home with a rust free decent one behind you. If you wanted I could check a couple out for you before you head out.

Thanks for the offer, Brent! May take you up on that.

how does Colorado have rust free cars when they get more snow that Ohio? ITS NOT FAIR!!!

/OffTopic

Because they don't salt the roads. Their snow is usually a blown in cold front from the mountains, but otherwise it's above freezing there most of the time. Snow, melt, repeat. Also low humidity and they use sand and gravel instead of salt.

It snows 6”-18” at a time but they don’t salt anything. They put sand down in the intersections because it usually melts away completely by noon the next day. It’s weird because it doesn’t even get muddy it just kind of evaporates because it’s usually about 20% humidity. It’s usually light fluffy snow that’s easy to shovel too.

Because they don't salt the roads. Their snow is usually a blown in cold front from the mountains, but otherwise it's above freezing there most of the time. Snow, melt, repeat. Also low humidity and they use sand and gravel instead of salt.

Same thing when I was out west, they never used salt only sand.

xU3vYQGl.jpg

Picked up a 1975 Jeep CJ5 on a 1979 CJ7 frame and axle‘s. 4.2 L, no rust on the frame, newer top and doors, and the body hood fenders and grill are all 4WD Hardware fiberglass. Got it for a very good price, runs and drives well, looking forward to using it in 2021!

That's awesome Clay, should be a great tow behind vehicle. It should be much easier to mount a tow behind hitch on that than on something like a Fit.

I imagine it's pretty light with those fiberglass panels. It looks like they were already in the 2500-2700lb range and the fiberglass might save around 100lbs from the really quick looking I did.

... you were right Brian. :nod:

Nice. If you ever come out this way get ahold of me. I’ll take you out to some awesome off-roading trails. I’m also learning about some pretty awesome camping spots.

Thanks, Brent. Wife and I are talking about a National Parks trip in 2021 as our son is in 4th grade and the nat'l parks system is free for families of that grade level. Out west would definitely be the goal.

Not sure how much time we'd have for trails or how ambitious we want to get but if I can do some light-duty off-road here in Ohio and get the kids hooked, that might be a smart move to get the family interested in chasing some off-road parks out west.

Thanks, Brent. Wife and I are talking about a National Parks trip in 2021 as our son is in 4th grade and the nat'l parks system is free for families of that grade level. Out west would definitely be the goal.

Not sure how much time we'd have for trails or how ambitious we want to get but if I can do some light-duty off-road here in Ohio and get the kids hooked, that might be a smart move to get the family interested in chasing some off-road parks out west.

Clay, I know you are cheap, but it's only $80 for an annual pass.

We did a big out west trip about 5 years ago, 3 weeks and we went to something like 6 or 8 parks. Let me know if you have any questions or let's chat next time we happen to see each other.

Re: the tow/off-road vehicle post I made, my parents w/that car and their future camper are going to do an out west trip. I suggested they make their plan to go further north or south to have less elevation gain and probably lower grades, rather than go right through Denver and across 70 w/6-7% grades at almost 11kft. That might not be a bad idea in your case too. IDK if southern Colorado get's you any lower, but we started our trip at Great Sand Dunes and really liked it. It also get's you into a park about half of a day quicker or maybe with the RV and Continental divide even a decent day quicker than if your first stop was in Utah. We left on Friday afternoon and were in Great Sand Dunes Sunday morning; first night outside of St.Louis, 2nd at some rando hotel in SE Colorado, Sunday morning at Great Sand Dunes. Definitely tack on some time due to slow RV.

Jesse, would love to talk with you more about your trip out west. Let’s grab a drink sometime...within state COVID guidelines, of course. ;)

It’s not just the money, it’s the timing of him going into 4th grade

And us having the RV. The tough thing about a trip like this is the slow RV...we’d be adding another 5-6 days onto travel time to get out west and back...let alone travel between states and parks/attractions.

Jesse, would love to talk with you more about your trip out west. Let’s grab a drink sometime...within state COVID guidelines, of course. ;)

Let's do it! I've been texting withe EC92 a bit too, when things slow down for them I need to catch a beer with him and catch up. Maybe we can all get together.

We've got a kid free house and enough room for a few people to socially distance inside and I hardly ever go out in public right now. I'm happy to have a few people over.

It’s not just the money, it’s the timing of him going into 4th grade

Yeah, I figured the good timing was most of it, just using the cheap shot to call you cheap. :gabe:

And us having the RV. The tough thing about a trip like this is the slow RV...we’d be adding another 5-6 days onto travel time to get out west and back...let alone travel between states and parks/attractions.

I roughly estimate we had about a week of travel, maybe even longer, and two weeks of actually being at places. And that was with something that can do any highway speed one would want. I think we drove 6kmi+ on the trip. We had a few day buffer on the end and did a day in San Diego, the wife used to live there so she was happy to be in one of her happy places for a bit. We also came back up through the South/west->south (Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi) so I could knock out a few states down there. So, knock a day or two and 1-2kmi off and you're probably at the bare minim for travel distance/time. Then slow it down for the RV towing a vehicle, you're probably about spot on for 6 days just to get out there and back.

Roughly the route we took from my memory, a few more stops in there but that's as many points as Google will let you do at once.

2020-12-03-14-00-53.jpg