Getting help for homeless neighbor

Tractor

Anyone know of any resources beyond the quick google searching? I've got an elderly neighbor who had been living with someone for a long time +10 years and they died and now she's pretty much homeless however she does own the land next door to me with an old unlivable house and a bunch of junk cars. Currently I've been helping her out as she's put a camper on the land and has been trying to get it livable and I've been fixing gas leaks, charging her batteries etc. I talk to her quite a bit and she works, and her mind appears good, but like most in my neighborhood she's very poor and just doesn't know what resources are out there to get help and doesn't really want to bother people.

I sat down today to make it my mission to do some heavy googling and would love any input. She's also got some interesting old POS cars, one is an 1980's or 90's Peugeot.

Something I found on my own to allow for repair costs to be added to a mortgage

https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/housing/sfh/203k

I don't even mind doing a lot of the work for her, I have nothing to gain except friendship, I have a ton of skills and lots of time, I just don't have money and there's some things permitting wouldn't allow me to do on her property without licensing.

don't know much about the site but it seems to have good info:

https://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html/ohio_agency_on_aging.html

I'd start with the basics - make sure she is signed up for all the senior benefits she is eligible for like Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, etc...there are also discount rates for seniors for things like utilities and further discounts for those on public assistance.

https://benefits.ohio.gov/

Edited by Geeto67

Thanks, I didn't think about the Agency on Aging which is funny I used to do work in their facilities all the time. I'll see what South Carolina has, usually states mimic each other in services and gov stuff.

If she doesn't have kids to pass the land down to, what about a reverse mortgage to help out while she continues to live on the land? The land is only a meaningful asset to her while she is alive and capable of using it. Once she is no longer able to live alone, or dies, then she doesn't need the land any more.

If the land is owned, clear anything of value and sell it. Use any money she gets to get her decent housing. Check local senior apartments and see who has waiting lists. A lot of HUD apartments have coordinators who help people, especially elderly go through the process. Find local HUD or affordable apartments locally by using HUD databases online.

If she doesn't have kids to pass the land down to, what about a reverse mortgage to help out while she continues to live on the land? The land is only a meaningful asset to her while she is alive and capable of using it. Once she is no longer able to live alone, or dies, then she doesn't need the land any more.

As much as I dislike this option, it's solid.

Does she have no Family?

KillJoy

As much as I dislike this option, it's solid.

Does she have no Family?

KillJoy

Agreed, I don't like that option either, but it makes sense. Also, if she is basically homeless, and she does have family but they are not helping her out ... why should she save the land to pass to them. I'm sure the bank will screw her some with a reverse mortgage, but it does allow her to continue living there and provides some income while it matters.

Selling the land makes a lot of sense too. I don't know what prices are like down there, but it could get her a nice little chunk of change.

Since the land is right next to yours, any thought of buying it from her to increase the size of your space? You could work out a deal with her to allow her to continue living there. You make payments to her which gives her income, then when she passes the land becomes yours.

Good options guys, we live in a part of the area where the land isn't worth much at all except to the locals who are also poor, no chance of anyone buying it and putting a average suburb house on it. Myself I'd buy it in a minute because its next door to me and I have no problem removing the trash and buildings. The current value is probably 20K with at least 20-30k in work that would need to be done to clear the lot and then install the water/sewer up to county code which costs 17K for the water taps here. And that 20-30K would be what it would cost me total to get it ready for a house.

I'm even thinking about getting her a GOFUNDME or similar to raise money and I'll operate the excavator and hire a dumpster service. Anyone ever do the GOFUNDME stuff? I hear stories all the time, but I've personally no clue.

As far as selling it, she won't, its the place she grew up on, but only about an acre and thats how everyone in the neighborhood is. Almost all related and local southerners so very poor, but very nice people, I personally fit right in because I'm the type that will pull your stuck car out of the ditch and help with anything I'm asked. I was raised in a very similar place in rural Ohio and enjoy it.

Well if she is not willing to sell and move her options are very limited. You said she has old cars and other stuff. Try selling or scraping what you can which will help clear the land. But ultimately she has to be willing to change which means moving to better conditions and accepting help. It’s a tough situation for sure. Try getting her in touch with local elder services and make sure she is on assistance so she can at least live her best life on her ground.

Heck, reclaimed wood and old stuff is in right now. Have some new-urbanites come down and take the old stuff for their new high end properties. They would probably pay her.