Lemon law attorney?

evan9381

Anyone ever have to do this? I have a 2020 Tucson that recently will drop into 4th gear while on the highway and not shift out. Blind spot warning and forward collision warning usually pop up (first time not a car within 50m). Trans shifting down sounds like I hit a giant pothole (never have). Each time I took it in, they cleared some codes, repinned a connector. It's happening at intervals of around 1k miles. Car is just under 12k miles now and ive had it 1 year + ~3 weeks, but I saw online if it started within the 12k/12mo window and still isn't resolved I may still be covered.

Obviously I want to talk to someone because after being told twice it was a fluke issue and it keeps happening, I'm losing confidence that it'll get fixed. I like the car otherwise and really don't want to deal with getting a new one, especially since I got some sweet 0% financing, but I can't keep dealing with this.

Do you actually need a lawyer? You can handle the situation yourself with some forms if you have met the requirements to actual have a "LEMON"

https://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Individuals-and-Families/Consumers/Consumer-Tips/Consumer-Tips-Auto/Lemon-Laws

I'm not sure if I actually *need* one, but since I'm just some guy, probably wouldn't hurt. Looks like I'll have to wait to see if this 3rd "fix" actually does the trick or not.

My concern right now is that this is happening every 1k miles or so, and I have trips planned mid june and end of july to NC and VA, which are both gonna put ~1k miles on the car...on both trips I'll have a car full of stuff and 4 bicycles on a hitch rack and I'm sure trying to get something from whatever dealership I may have to go to while on vacation (which is a headache just thinking about it) is not going to be something that will haul everything I need + have a hitch for my bikes. And what if it happens last day of trip and here I am stuck for extra days? Basically I don't want to be dealing with this but since it happens at random with no rhyme or reason, who knows when it'll happen again. Both times previously it was supposed to be a random issue and resolved and here we are. 🤷^♂️

I'm not sure if I actually *need* one, but since I'm just some guy, probably wouldn't hurt. Looks like I'll have to wait to see if this 3rd "fix" actually does the trick or not.

My concern right now is that this is happening every 1k miles or so, and I have trips planned mid june and end of july to NC and VA, which are both gonna put ~1k miles on the car...on both trips I'll have a car full of stuff and 4 bicycles on a hitch rack and I'm sure trying to get something from whatever dealership I may have to go to while on vacation (which is a headache just thinking about it) is not going to be something that will haul everything I need + have a hitch for my bikes. And what if it happens last day of trip and here I am stuck for extra days? Basically I don't want to be dealing with this but since it happens at random with no rhyme or reason, who knows when it'll happen again. Both times previously it was supposed to be a random issue and resolved and here we are. 🤷^♂️

I fully understand that , most dealers will give you a loaner if your vehicle is under warranty while it is in for service if that helps

There should be information in your owners manual talking about the Lemon Law and what to do if you believe your car is a Lemon. I did this many years ago and the process was very easy to initiate and complete. I had a minivan that the sliding doors would lock and unlock at will driving down the road. 7 attempts to correct the issue and then I started the Lemon Law paperwork. Took a month or so, but they took the van back and I agreed to just get my down payment back. (The law says they have to give you all the money you paid including payments, but I didn't think that was fair since I drove the van and they provided a rental while repairs were attempted).

I would recommend taking a look at the law and the paperwork for your vehicle. It may be an easy process for you to start and see how it goes. I get wanting to talk to an attorney, but you may be surprised at how easy the process actually is. Good luck!

There should be information in your owners manual talking about the Lemon Law and what to do if you believe your car is a Lemon. I did this many years ago and the process was very easy to initiate and complete. I had a minivan that the sliding doors would lock and unlock at will driving down the road. 7 attempts to correct the issue and then I started the Lemon Law paperwork. Took a month or so, but they took the van back and I agreed to just get my down payment back. (The law says they have to give you all the money you paid including payments, but I didn't think that was fair since I drove the van and they provided a rental while repairs were attempted).

I would recommend taking a look at the law and the paperwork for your vehicle. It may be an easy process for you to start and see how it goes. I get wanting to talk to an attorney, but you may be surprised at how easy the process actually is. Good luck!

I saw the AG site linked above.

If I'm reading correctly like what you say about them buying it back, while that sounds nice, I like the car and want to keep it. Lol. And if they buy it back, I then have to buy a new car. As we know, the market is crazy right now. I got this right at the start of the pandemic (April 2020) when they thought market was gonna be shit, got sweet financing, no payments for 120 days, what I felt was a fair/good price...I took a peek yesterday and best financing they have is 0%/60mo and the same trim is ~4k+ more for a 2021 than I paid for my 2020 and the 21s are ~9k more. To do either of those is going to be a huge jump in a car payment, one that I already don't want as is 😂. It'd be nice if they could say "well here's a identical 2020 and we'll move your financing/etc to this one" but I know that won't be the case.

So if you have made 9 payments, that money should/will come back to you and can help offset that $4k difference. The MFG should be willing to work with you to get you into another car so they can not actually have cash going back to you, but will be getting you into another car. Could work out in your favor to end up with a one year newer model with the same payment/term. You don't get what you don't ask for. I think the #1 priority is to start that process today.

So if you have made 9 payments, that money should/will come back to you and can help offset that $4k difference. The MFG should be willing to work with you to get you into another car so they can not actually have cash going back to you, but will be getting you into another car. Could work out in your favor to end up with a one year newer model with the same payment/term. You don't get what you don't ask for. I think the #1 priority is to start that process today.

And in this market of you can find a new car I would take it as most 1-2 year old cars are selling for sticker

Didn’t read all the posts here but I lemoned out a 2013 gt500 with 1500 miles on it due to repeated clutch and rear end issues. Each state has very specific rules as to what qualifies a car as a lemon (going to the dealer 3 times for the same issue, or being in the shop for a period of more than 30 days). I paid $200 for a lawyer to draft a letter to Ford and they accepted the car as a lemon. Pretty sure I got just about all my money back, but it took them a couple months to come get the car and give me my money.