ODBII readers

Tractor

What should I get? I really don't need expensive, just ability to pull codes and reset them. Anything else useful?

My old one at least 10 years was just a USB and it doesn't play well with my new laptop and was extremely basic etc.

If you search for 'best OBD xxx' where xxx is the type of device like Bluetooth dongle you want you'll get a ton info. There were 2 or three that always come up, I can't remember the other ones but I went with OBD Llink (LX). https://www.obdlink.com/products/

It will do all of the basic stuff through it's own app like read and rest codes, check emissions readiness, and PIDs.

You can also use Torque (App) with it or other dongles like it, but I didn't see the benefit of the lite (free) version over the one that came from OBD Link. There are cheaper OBD Bluetooth dongles out there, maybe they don't have apps or they suck and Torque would be better?

Of course that is all engine only (emissions necessary) stuff.

You may be able to get other usually paid apps to interface with other ECUs. These are often OEM specific. For the Jeep I got (paid app) Alfa OBD which can do variant and some variable coding on some ECUs, supposed to work with many FCA cars. For example my trailer lights weren't working and I thought it might be variant coding; non-trailer group equipped cars have it turned off stock. Mine should have it on already and finally it was already coded on, it was a soft set connector going into the back of the 7-pin coupler. But it was an easy thing to eliminate in the diag. process. I should also be able to calibrate the speedo and other affected ECUs due to tire size change from stock, but I haven't gotten around to that yet.

Edited by Trouble Maker

I have a $20ish Harbor Freight Cen-Tech unit that does a fine job reading and clearing codes with no fuss.

I was riding my bike on the beach today and was thinking I should just go get one of those, then I decided to post to see if I'm missing anything important.

I have the OBDLINK MX+ and the EX. Both are great products. I carry the MX+ in my car and have a couple free apps that work with it. I keep the EX with my laptop and use it if I am going to be doing any type of reprogramming and don't want to risk the loss of connection. One big advantage to both of these, is that they can do HS and MS CAN. No need to flip a switch to access one or the other.

I just got a Kiwi3 that's pretty highly-rated (pretty much all of the few negative reviews involve the software). It connects to your phone via low-energy Bluetooth, so the Wifi connection is free to control my GoPro. I use ForScan to connect, instead of the PLX app.

You're in a better spot for those kinds of things if you have an Android phone, because I imagine it costs a lot more for a developer to get their devices certified for Apple compatibility, so the Apple-compliant ones always cost a lot more. Pretty much any $15 dongle will work with Android.