Shotgun hunting

Richard Cranium

I don't know shit about fuck when it comes to hunting. What I do know is my wife is eyeballing my new (to me) over under. When she was young she enjoyed hunting and wants to get back into it. We have access to some places to hunt and now she in interested in taking advantage. Primarily this would be deer, but could also be fowl. So I've looked at .350 Legend, and a nice little bolt action 20 gauge rifle. Those would be great for deer, but they are one trick ponies. I'd rather not spend more than $500. What are recommendations for something that does not take exotic ammo, can take a beating out in the woods and still shoot true, good for both slug and shot, and won't break the bank?

Better yet, does anyone have something that fits the bill sitting gathering dust in their safe that they would be interested in selling?

I guess I'm a hillbilly, but a shotgun is a shotgun. I'd get a Remington 870 or something by the other brands and see if you really want to go deeper. I've killed plenty with a 20ga if you really want to go that size, but a 12ga will give more power and range and you can always get or make reduced loads if the kick is to strong, but realistically unless your gonna be shooting all day long one or two kicks to the shoulder by someone who's mentally prepared for it is not gonna be an issue on hunting days. The dramatic, shit people do to their unsuspecting wives or others regarding kickback is just that.

Not sure how the laws have changed over the years, but also realize you'll need a license and deer tag and the type of gun your allowed to hunt with will determine some needs. Rifles have to be straight walled cartridge(shell, bullet, whatever you want to call it) and at least .350in so it looks like the 350 legend would hunt deer. Also if you get a pump or the legend you can only have 3 bullets in the magazine and with shotguns I know they used to require a magazine plug which the game warden would check if you get stopped.

When is walmart hunting season? that sounds like a blast. But seriously, most all of the central Ohio walmarts no longer sell guns

Most claimed they were gonna stop but many I’ve seen still have typical hunting rifles

Edit: no more handgun ammo though

Tractor hit most of it. Shotguns are a multi-tool to me. Remington 870's are hard to beat for the reliability and price point, I think I have 4 of them. The Remington 1100 semi autos may be worth looking into also, but your price cap may struggle. I recently picked up a Citadel semi 12, and I'm on the process of trying to break it. Less than $300 for a semi 12 is hard to pass up. It very well may be the HI Point of shotguns, but people are liking them and I had a couple hundred buck I didn't care about. First tear down proved there were some corners cut in the making of the gun. 15 minutes smoothing out rough machining made me feel better, but none of it effected the gun functioning. Adding to tube extension to make it a 8 round mag is nice too. Sights are shit, but that is a cheap and easy fix. In the end, I hope to have a reliable truck gun that I can laugh about and not care if I run it over.

20G Rem 870, youth model, can be had for $269 usually. LOL all you want about it being youth model. We have about 10 shotguns, and this is my go to almost all the time. Wife works well with it, 12G is a bit much for what she likes. I can quick grab it and blast a groundhog, and not lose any more hearing. Ammo has been available and slugs are enough to drop a deer and not damage/lose a lot of meat from a huge hole, like a 12G.

I have a cheap sub 300 870 12ga. I personally think there's better guns, I don't like the feel of the controls namely the release for the chamber is kinda thin and sharp so it wears on my finger if I shoot a few hours. I also don't like the safety. I think I've seen mods to that stuff but I just haven't done it. Now this is coming from a Lefty so others might not mind.

It's a solid gun and I did polish some rough finish and it operates very good. I've been around guns my whole life so I have no trouble hitting things with it but I can shoot about anything from rubber bands guns up lol.

• 2 weeks later...
Couple years ago I bought my son a 20 gauge Mossberg 500 combo that came with a cantelever barrel and truglow scope along with the smooth barrel. I have a rem 870 in 12 gauge. I use his gun more than I use my own. With Hornady SST slugs is as accurate as just about any gun I've ever shot. It's a tack driver. My youngest son will be getting one in the next year or two.

Thanks for all the feedback. For the moment I think I'm going to wait. I have been struggling to pick up shells for trap shooting. I'm doing okay for the moment, but as a hedge I'm hoping to be able to start reloading. As such I have bought all I can right now to reload 12 gauge, but primers are the bottle neck right now for everyone. Doubt anyone has any laying around, but if anyone does I am willing to buy or trade small pistol primers for shotgun primers with cash going your direction. The nice thing is if I pick her up a 12 gauge I can reload for her as well, and if 12 is a little too much, I can tweak the load to make it more friendly.

I have shotgun primers at home but unfortunately I’m not at home, nor living in Columbus. If you don’t get any , let me know and I’ll dig in to my stash when I get back and count what I have.

Not sure if you ever venture out but check Fin Feather Fur outfitters up north, they had primers in stock last time I went through. Limits were pretty low and prices weren’t what they used to be but it’s something to get started.

I have shotgun primers at home but unfortunately I’m not at home, nor living in Columbus. If you don’t get any , let me know and I’ll dig in to my stash when I get back and count what I have.

Not sure if you ever venture out but check Fin Feather Fur outfitters up north, they had primers in stock last time I went through. Limits were pretty low and prices weren’t what they used to be but it’s something to get started.

That would be greatly appreciated. Let me know. If I need to I can make a road trip. I found another flat of shells online yesterday and ordered them immediately. That one will get me into a more comfortable place that I won't have to flake out in the middle of the trap league because I don't have any ammo. One of the guys in the league found a place selling primers that have been pulled from shells, but it's 16,800 primers for $1500. If he buys them I'm going to buy some of them from him.

That would be greatly appreciated. Let me know. If I need to I can make a road trip. I found another flat of shells online yesterday and ordered them immediately. That one will get me into a more comfortable place that I won't have to flake out in the middle of the trap league because I don't have any ammo. One of the guys in the league found a place selling primers that have been pulled from shells, but it's 16,800 primers for $1500. If he buys them I'm going to buy some of them from him.

I just got home a bit ago, shoot me a PM with what you are looking for. I also have a couple cases of shells (unfired) that I was using to blast watermelons and such for fun, then i'd reload the hulls into 00 buck or slug. ;)