Tesla owners?

smokin5s

Old lady got hers in August. 14k on it now. Shit company. Awful customer service. Pretty cool car. Wish the Mach E was out before we ordered it. She will probably never go back to a ICE car.

ya, I kind of figured that the customer service wouldn't be great. I've been checking out the Mach E but first off, actually getting your hands on one to even test drive is almost impossible, the charging infrastructure is just not there yet for anything but Tesla, and the Mach-E doesn't have the range the Y has. What has she needed as far as customer service? The car has 14k on it... she shouldn't even need to call them.

Car was delivered with defects, wrong charging adapters than originally told. They use dog shit wifi with 4 foot range and they require wifi for updates unless you call the supreme rulers and they push updates through the 4g.

As you said the superchargers and their battery management is second to none.

Car was delivered with defects, wrong charging adapters than originally told. They use dog shit wifi with 4 foot range and they require wifi for updates unless you call the supreme rulers and they push updates through the 4g.

As you said the superchargers and their battery management is second to none.

the charging and battery is really the only main reason to go for a Tesla. I actually was very close to getting a Model 3 myself but looking at a lot of the cars sitting in the Tesla parking lot it was surprising how may cars had fit/ finish issues. Ive also heard the paint on them is just terrible fragile. I was really torn because its a great car to drive but yea the stories of people having to refuse delivery one multiple cars to get one that has acceptable defects worry me.

the charging infrastructure is just not there yet for anything but Tesla

We have been testing electric cars at work for a few years now and honestly other than on our private property, we have never used a Tesla Charger, even for Teslas. Try using a site like PlugShare. It is amazing the level of info they have. It will show cost, availability, and user reviews. May change your mind on a non-Tesla EV.

Anyone here own a Tesla? We are looking at a Model Y and I'm just wondering any catches as well as how much did it raise your electric bill per month?

If you're local and interested, go see my buddy Jason Burris at Chapman Ford in Marysville. He has a really good perspective on EV's now.

the charging and battery is really the only main reason to go for a Tesla. I actually was very close to getting a Model 3 myself but looking at a lot of the cars sitting in the Tesla parking lot it was surprising how may cars had fit/ finish issues. Ive also heard the paint on them is just terrible fragile. I was really torn because its a great car to drive but yea the stories of people having to refuse delivery one multiple cars to get one that has acceptable defects worry me.

I agree the biggest plus is the charging network. I waffled more times on the M3 than I care to admit. Lots of great things going for them but for the money I would have likely gone the other way and had another German ICE vehicle.

For me it's not just the quality and fitment it's the interior. Just way to stark and plain. Nothing visually interesting to fall in love with while you're driving and actually IN the car. The Y is the same.

I will say when you drive the Mach E and Y side by side you'll see a HUGE difference and advantage for the Ford in terms of ride quality and noise. It's the difference between my Honda and a quality German car. That and the fact that interior is more interesting. It has it's shortcomings in terms of materials but Ford makes it feel like a normal car. When their GT version is out it will be more side by side performance wise. Currently the Mach E feels like a mid 13 second vehicle. Quick but not fast. The Model 3 and Y definitely feel super-quick, dare I say fast.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck! Interesting times for sure.

If you're local and interested, go see my buddy Jason Burris at Chapman Ford in Marysville. He has a really good perspective on EV's now.

I agree the biggest plus is the charging network. I waffled more times on the M3 than I care to admit. Lots of great things going for them but for the money I would have likely gone the other way and had another German ICE vehicle.

For me it's not just the quality and fitment it's the interior. Just way to stark and plain. Nothing visually interesting to fall in love with while you're driving and actually IN the car. The Y is the same.

I will say when you drive the Mach E and Y side by side you'll see a HUGE difference and advantage for the Ford in terms of ride quality and noise. It's the difference between my Honda and a quality German car. That and the fact that interior is more interesting. It has it's shortcomings in terms of materials but Ford makes it feel like a normal car. When their GT version is out it will be more side by side performance wise. Currently the Mach E feels like a mid 13 second vehicle. Quick but not fast. The Model 3 and Y definitely feel super-quick, dare I say fast.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck! Interesting times for sure.

I drove the Model Y performance yesterday and good lord, that thing is a rocket ship, no other way to put it. As hard as it put me in that seat I just couldn't believe it. seeing the numbers on paper my Camaro is faster but it sure didn't feel like it when I was pushing on the accelerator. I do agree that the Y is just boring looking. My wife called it ugly. I do think that the Mach-E is a better looking vehicle for sure but like you've mentioned, it's no rocket ship. I will not get the performance model of the Y regardless because I just don't see that being worth 10k to get. I've thought about putting in an order on a Mach-E GT but again, then the price is way up there. I might have to stop at a dealership and at least test drive a mach-e and see if it's something that I would find acceptable. All the "shootouts" that I've found on youtube comparing the two, the Y always seems to win.

We have been testing electric cars at work for a few years now and honestly other than on our private property, we have never used a Tesla Charger, even for Teslas. Try using a site like PlugShare. It is amazing the level of info they have. It will show cost, availability, and user reviews. May change your mind on a non-Tesla EV.

I might have to check out the site and see. The biggest thing I've heard is non-Tesla charging stations, a lot don't charge very fast or they are broken, etc... where you just don't see that with Tesla. Companies really need to get on board and invest in the infrastructure like Tesla has.

Yes, EVERY review has said make sure to get the mud flaps and a coating on the bottom or you will be in trouble. Also the fact that you have to pay extra to me for a different color is just insane.

I just registered to plugshare and man, this is what I was talking about, there's not even a good route that I could take to drive to Florida in a Mach-E using this app... way too many large gaps in charging station availabilities where you don't have that with Tesla, I could drive to Florida, Texas, hell, even California and have charging stations within reach

**EDIT: Nevermind, when I plotted in a destination, a bunch appeared

I have driven the 3 and the S and both were decent.

I will be going to NC in a couple days and get to drive my sisters new Y so kinda excited to see how the newer ones compare to the older version I have driven before.

I know the older ones for sure had panel gap issues etc like everyone has already stated but as far as the overall EV goes Tesla is still so far ahead of the game when it comes to charging

Not that this is any of the cars we are talking about but when my dad had his volt, his electric bill went up about $200 per month. He also plugged the car in every time he wasn't driving it and didn't use any outside chargers. He also owned the office building where he worked and he factored that in to the cost as well. because his work commute was under the fully electric range he was using it like a full EV. I think he only put gas in the car twice in the years he owned it.

Compare this to his Suburban which the volt replaced and was at times between $50 and $100 to fill up (40 gal tank) and would go 300 miles to a tank in city driving that cut his commute cost by half.

Not that this is any of the cars we are talking about but when my dad had his volt, his electric bill went up about $200 per month. He also plugged the car in every time he wasn't driving it and didn't use any outside chargers. He also owned the office building where he worked and he factored that in to the cost as well. because his work commute was under the fully electric range he was using it like a full EV. I think he only put gas in the car twice in the years he owned it.

Compare this to his Suburban which the volt replaced and was at times between $50 and $100 to fill up (40 gal tank) and would go 300 miles to a tank in city driving that cut his commute cost by half.

wow, a 200 dollar electric bill is crazy. I wonder if he had some other sort of draw going on or are things different for office buildings, etc... I've spoken with a few people who own them and they said that they are seeing about a 40 dollar electric upcharge.

I have driven the 3 and the S and both were decent.

I will be going to NC in a couple days and get to drive my sisters new Y so kinda excited to see how the newer ones compare to the older version I have driven before.

I know the older ones for sure had panel gap issues etc like everyone has already stated but as far as the overall EV goes Tesla is still so far ahead of the game when it comes to charging

very true, I will say there was quite a few cars in the lot, I'm not sure if they are there for service, if they are there for pickup, or inventory. There wasn't many Y's or X's, most were model 3's that I saw. The car that I test drove did not have panel gap issues and looked quite nice.

**EDIT: Nevermind, when I plotted in a destination, a bunch appeared

Play around with the filters and check out the Legend. Should show when they are broken, free charge sites, etc. Kind of nice if you are planning a trip to see which hotels have free chargers. You can also filter it by connector style or minimum power. We used it to plan cross country trips when doing our real world driving studies.

Play around with the filters and check out the Legend. Should show when they are broken, free charge sites, etc. Kind of nice if you are planning a trip to see which hotels have free chargers. You can also filter it by connector style or minimum power. We used it to plan cross country trips when doing our real world driving studies.

dude, what do you do for a living and can I get a job? THat sounds fun! BTW, how do you like your SHO? I REALLY miss mine... I traded it in a few years ago for the MKZ that I have now thinking I'd like a more refined driving experience that was better on gas and it turns out there's nothing refined about me LMAO.

dude, what do you do for a living and can I get a job? THat sounds fun! BTW, how do you like your SHO? I REALLY miss mine... I traded it in a few years ago for the MKZ that I have now thinking I'd like a more refined driving experience that was better on gas and it turns out there's nothing refined about me LMAO.

I do automotive research for the federal government (NHTSA/DOT). And actually, we are hiring like crazy. https://trcpg.com/careers/

As far as the SHO, I love it. It is comfortable and economical enough. I get 21.6 mpg beating on it and letting it idle for 30 minutes a day. I mainly got it though because I am also a volunteer firefighter and the Police Interceptor stuff will mount cleanly inside it and allow me to respond to runs and not stand out when DD the car. I have a little bit done to it with a few more things in the garage to add. I'm actually surprised by the interest it gets.

I do automotive research for the federal government (NHTSA/DOT). And actually, we are hiring like crazy. https://trcpg.com/careers/

As far as the SHO, I love it. It is comfortable and economical enough. I get 21.6 mpg beating on it and letting it idle for 30 minutes a day. I mainly got it though because I am also a volunteer firefighter and the Police Interceptor stuff will mount cleanly inside it and allow me to respond to runs and not stand out when DD the car. I have a little bit done to it with a few more things in the garage to add. I'm actually surprised by the interest it gets.

Ya, I had people trying to race me all the time, but you could clearly hear my bigger turbo's and whatnot when I drove mine. It just wasn't practical as far as MPG with all the shit I had done to it.

... but when my dad had his volt, his electric bill went up about $200 per month.

I'm not saying your dad was wrong, but he was wrong. It was probably much closer to $200/year, at least on order of magnitude.

Volt usable battery = 14kWh

Range = 54mi

kWh/mile=14/54=0.259kWh/mi

Cost of electrics in NY=$0.199/kWh

Cost/mi=.0264kWh/mi*$0.199/kWh=$0.0516/mi

Miles for $200... $200/$0.052/mi=3876mi

3876mi/30days=129mi/day

129mi/day/54mi/charge=2.4 charges/day

or 33.5kWh

The Volt only has a 3.6kW charge in it, so it would have to be on the charger about 10 hours/day. And they he would have to drive it 129mi/day split in between 3 different drives. So, 50miles first thing in the morning, charge for 4 hours, drive another 30 miles at lunch, charge for another 2 hours, drive another 50 miles, charge another 4 hours (overnight).

Every Single Day. If he did that every day for years, good for him.

I'm not trying to give you or indirectly your dad too much grief. But people read about $200 electric bills from EV charging on the net take it as facts and will repeat it as part of why EVs are so terrible and will never work.

The wife had a Volt (2013? w/38mi range on EV) for 2+ years and with a 12 mile each way commute it was just about perfect. I don't think or electric bill went up enough to really notice, maybe $20/month give or take.

If you buy one it’ll come with basically 3 years of free charges on their network.

Didn't VAG have to pump a bunch of $ into some new charging network as part of their penance for diesel gate. Was it Charge America? Is that what Porsche as part of the VAG catalogue is using?

Edit: It's Electrify America. https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a36956207/volkswagen-seeking-investor-electrify-america/

Edit 2: Yup, they (Porsche) is using Electrify America network. https://techcrunch.com/2019/01/28/porsche-taycan-owners-will-get-three-years-free-charging-at-hundreds-of-electrify-america-stations/

Pretty brilliant way for VAG to turn part of what's supposed to be a penalty for them into some lemonade.

wow, a 200 dollar electric bill is crazy. I wonder if he had some other sort of draw going on or are things different for office buildings, etc... I've spoken with a few people who own them and they said that they are seeing about a 40 dollar electric upcharge.

it's not, it's overzealous and first gen tech. Think about it like this - how much would it cost you if you put gas in your car every time you drove it? probably much more than if you ran it down and then filled it back up. Also, there was a point where he convinced his work buddies to buy them too, and they were charging at his office when they came by that I am sure played a factor.

I'm not saying your dad was wrong, but he was wrong. It was probably much closer to $200/year, at least on order of magnitude.

Volt usable battery = 14kWh

Range = 54mi

kWh/mile=14/54=0.259kWh/mi

Cost of electrics in NY=$0.199/kWh

Cost/mi=.0264kWh/mi*$0.199/kWh=$0.0516/mi

Miles for $200... $200/$0.052/mi=3876mi

3876mi/30days=129mi/day

129mi/day/54mi/charge=2.4 charges/day

or 33.5kWh

The Volt only has a 3.6kW charge in it, so it would have to be on the charger about 10 hours/day. And they he would have to drive it 129mi/day split in between 3 different drives. So, 50miles first thing in the morning, charge for 4 hours, drive another 30 miles at lunch, charge for another 2 hours, drive another 50 miles, charge another 4 hours (overnight).

Every Single Day. If he did that every day for years, good for him.

I'm not trying to give you or indirectly your dad too much grief. But people read about $200 electric bills from EV charging on the net take it as facts and will repeat it as part of why EVs are so terrible and will never work.

The wife had a Volt (2013? w/38mi range on EV) for 2+ years and with a 12 mile each way commute it was just about perfect. I don't think or electric bill went up enough to really notice, maybe $20/month give or take.

He would leave it on the charger all night, then drive to work, plug it in, work a 10 hour day, drive it home, plug it in again, repeat next morning. His average commute was 50 miles a day, plus running the A/C and most of the accessories. He also sat in a fair amount of traffic. Every Other weekend he would drive it out to Montauk (80mi) and then leave it on the charger all weekend, using it maybe once or twice to run into town. he didn't compute it using KW/hr, he just looked at his pre-volt bills and his post volt bills for all three properties and that's where he came up with the number. It's not very scientific, but hey it is what it is.

By no means is it meant to be discouraging in any way. I will fully admit he was overzealous about his charging habits and would even do things like run the radio in the car while he was working in the yard instead of bringing out a separate radio or listening to his iphone. I know he left it "on" more than once in the driveway for several hours. If you ask him about EV's he is a huge proponent of them - i'd look at his example as a worst case scenario of bad habits, not as the average. I don't even know if you can leave a tesla "running" when you aren't in it like you can with a first year volt.

Yeah, I had a first gen Volt too...added about a dollar a day to my electric bill charging from 0 mi every weekday and multiple charges during weekends due to many short trips.

I think your dad got hit harder from his buddies charging there too.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Picked up a MY Long Range about a year ago. Overall great car and I would recommend.

Couple of things to note:

• Customer Service is pretty Crappy. Good news is you really shouldn't have to deal with them much after delivery.
  • Car was delivered with panel fitment issues, paint nibs, a stain on the headliner, and an issue with the cowl plastic. All were fixed by the Tesla dealer in Cincy. When fixing the cowl issue they actually dented the quarter panel from the inside and tried to deliver the car back to us this way. They also fixed that and provided a loaner.
  • Ride is fairly harsh - We have the upgraded wheels which probably don't help.
  • Aside from the issues above which are behind us, the car is fantastic.
  • Honestly haven't noticed an increase in electric if it is more than $20/month I would be surprised (My last electric bill was $120) - 12,000 miles/yr
  • 240v outlet is a must for charging. Will charge at 30mph, on 120 it is only 3mph
  • May sound weird, but aside from the stupid fast acceleration, the regen is my favorite as you can drive the car with one pedal. Rarely have to use the brakes.
  • Autopilot is nice, especially for highway driving.
  • Whatever tires came on it are terrible in the snow.
  • Never had an issue with Wifi