Oil pressure on a c5

Mace1647545504

It's been a while since I owned a c5 (vette) so I don't really remember.

Drove a c5 today with 77k on it. It ticked for a minute upon startup then the ticking stopped and all was good. Checked the oil it was full and clean.

I drove it pretty hard and the big thing I noticed was the oil pressure. The unit was slow to react and only went to to 40psi under load.

I got back and talked to the guy and he told me he had heard the OP sending units go bad in the c5 and is a pita to replace. I hadn't heard this so I'm asking what you think.

TiA

mace

Edited by Mace

If you really want the Jeep look at it again and put a mechanical gauge on it. Should be very easy to attach for testing. Might want to test engine compression as well just to see how it goes.

Engine might just need a good seafoam treatment as well, I can't recommend seafoam enough. I use it nearly every oil change in all my vehicles and just ran a gallon through my army truck when I changed it's oil last week.

Sounds like LS things. How high RPM are we talking? 40 psi sounds about right for 2,000-2,500 rpm, lowish for 3k+ depending on oil type, temp, etc... I don't think that's usually how the oil pressure sender fails, it usually throws an oil pressure light or reads really high.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

@ idle to about 2k it looked to be 20-30 psi..when I put some throttle it went to 40 psi but I couldn't really go much more. When I got back I rev'ed it some and like i said the gauge rose slugishly.

I'll probably lay off it unless I could get it at a great price figuring in a new or rebuilt engine at some point.

Broken oil pressure sensor in a C5 will cause the meter to read all the way the max regardless of engine speed. It's PITA to replace because it's located under the cowl.

IMO, 40 psig at operating temperature range of roughly 180-230F and at middle engine speed range doesn't seem bad. The sluggish meter will read lower especially when the high rpm excursion is brief.

Broken oil pressure sensor in a C5 will cause the meter to read all the way the max regardless of engine speed. It's PITA to replace because it's located under the cowl.

IMO, 40 psig at operating temperature range of roughly 180-230F and at middle engine speed range doesn't seem bad. The sluggish meter will read lower especially when the high rpm excursion is brief.

That's what I was thinking. Anything of that era above 20 PSI at idle is probably okay.

Also the Jeep is about the easiest vehicle you can work on